GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Password protecting"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/09/04 at 18:32
Regular
Is there any way to put passwords on specific programs (mostly games) as I have to share my computer with my brothers and don't want them to screw everything up! I've tried using 2 profiles it stops them getting a t my documents but they can still get onto the games. Thanx for any help.

PS. I am running Windows XP Home.
Tue 21/09/04 at 14:23
"Happy Fraging"
I am just gathering that you know the basis of windows, if this doesnt make sens to you then i would be happy to take u through it bit bye bit whic is around literlay a 2 minuite process to set up the both accounts :O).

If you would like this then please contatct me on [email protected] gl ;O)
Tue 21/09/04 at 14:19
"Happy Fraging"
Ok here is a solution and a very easy one at that. You can make both of your brother’s users on the computer which is rather easy.

Start>Control Panel>Users Accounts>

once in there to make things easier set up your brothers as "Users" with either a limited user account (bear in mind if they are set up as limited users they will not able to install programmes they would need administrator rights which would be the rights you have at the moment, they would have to ask you to set install any programme that they would wish to be put on. unless u know about ur security settings)

Or set them up as a computer administrator which would be the exact same as them logging into your existing account only thing is they would have no programmes installed at all.

After setting up both user accounts just re-install all the programmes they wish to be on bearing in mind that say 1 brother logs on his account and installs say msn messenger the other brother would also have to login to his account and do the same as if he was wanting to have msn...

All this does is makes 3 accounts all separate you're programmes will stay in your account and both theirs will stay within their accounts.

If there are files that are shared with them i.e. system files and you are worried about these getting touched just make them hidden files :O)

And finally 1 thing that is really simple as well is to encrypt your files you can do this by right clicking on the folder you want encrypted and clicking on the advanced key then select encrypt contents to secure data. however once again this will only allow you to view these files as u are the "owner" of the file and these files would not be able to be shared unless once again you know your away around your user security settings :O)
Wed 08/09/04 at 18:33
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
There's no (official) way of doing it through Windows XP, but I'm sure if you searched download.com, there'd be millions of programs.
Wed 08/09/04 at 18:32
Regular
Is there any way to put passwords on specific programs (mostly games) as I have to share my computer with my brothers and don't want them to screw everything up! I've tried using 2 profiles it stops them getting a t my documents but they can still get onto the games. Thanx for any help.

PS. I am running Windows XP Home.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.