GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I have a Bleem!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/06/01 at 20:59
Regular
Ok, I don't, I'm waiting to find a stockist of BleemCast for the DC so that I can play Gran Turismo 2 and Final Fantasy 9 on it. Can I get one? No. Can I find one? No.

But it got me thinking, if Bleem can make a product that plays PS games via your PC, and PS games via your DC, how long will it be before you can play DC games via your PS and PS games via your X-Box etc....? And now that Nintendo are moving to disc format, will they ever produce a product that will allow GC games on a PC or DC?

And if they are so good at making games to play across a couple of formats, why don't they just go ahead and break the mould and develop a cross-format console that plays all types of games? Money? Patents? Where there's a will there's a way, I give it 7 years till we see the first mass-produced multi-format console in widespread use in the home.

FM: Never gets a prediction wrong (yet).
Sat 16/06/01 at 11:36
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
turbonutter wrote:
> I too, fail to see the point.

indeed/// why would anyone buy this?

Sonic
Sat 16/06/01 at 11:25
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I too, fail to see the point.
Sat 16/06/01 at 11:09
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
hmmm...

u know the original idea of bleemcast was that there were 4 packs, each at £20, and each of which plays 100 different specified games. (Although all packs could play any copied game :)

So, now it seems rubbish... unless you can use that bleem cd to play ANY copied PSX game? Anyone rtried it?

Sonic
Sat 16/06/01 at 09:55
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Kid Rock wrote:
> format, will they ever produce a product that will allow GC games on
> a PC or DC

I dont think DC has the capibilities to run GC games...

Although a GC may be able to emulate DC games (with the right software)

However... why would Sony want anyone else to be albe to play Nintendo titles?
Sat 16/06/01 at 09:11
Regular
"Hoo Har"
I think that the next bunch of consoles that come out there'll either be a brand new company, or to companys will go together. I defently Sega will come back top by joining another company!
Sat 16/06/01 at 08:05
Regular
FantasyMeister wrote:
And now that Nintendo are moving to disc format, will they ever produce a product that will allow GC games on a PC or DC
the GC has special 8mm discs which are smaller then CDs so i cant see them working on a PS2 or Dc
Sat 16/06/01 at 08:01
Regular
whats the point only plays gran turismo 2 its £20 and its crap
Thu 14/06/01 at 19:31
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Although Slaveunit (cool name!) has some good oppinions, I disagree with many of them:

> Perhaps your mate was told to wait for the PS2 because

its a
> better machine?

How do u say "its a better machine". At this point I personally think that DC games are so good that its worth buying one just to play them!

it has a better future?

This is true... but the fact a console survives longer does not ensure better games.

DC is dead?
DC games are
> now on the PS2

Good points, and if you're the kind of person that wants a console where there are always new better games then the DC is not for you. Personally I prefer to have quality games now, and see how the future goes.

But on the main topic...

OPSM2 mag had a
> feature about the bleem thing. Sony are suing because bleem have
> copied their programming,and that they had to hack the ps1 code to
> work out how to do it, and bleem are saying yes, they hacked it, but
> the code for their device is entirely original.

This is VERY similar to the codemasters dispute years back. Codies asked ninty and sega "can we have a license to make games on your console". Ninty and sega give the answer that goes along the lines of "hmmm... you're too small and not japanese!" So, codies took the SNES and Mega Drive apart (or was it the NES and Master system)... worked out what made them tick... and made their own carts for the consoles... ninty sued saying it was their technology and they have control over it... and lost!

Likewise, Bleem took a PSX and worked out how it played games. Then they thought "Well, Sony has copyrighted most of the code to run games... but if we make ours from scratch then it will be ok". And they did. And a judge ruled that it was/... and allowed Bleem to counter sue sony!!!

more
> interestingly, is that there was a company (cant remember the name) that had ps1 games running on a PC, and Sony bought them out and copyrighted the software. the question is, though, are they are working together to make the pc emulator, or did sony buy it to stop it?

This reminds me of Shell and other oil companies buying out a company that made a way for cars to run for hundreds of miles on a tank of water. In the short term this will protect their bussiness. In the long term as oil runs out (ie PSX sales dry up)... u might see the company launch a product based on these principals!

Sonic
Thu 14/06/01 at 18:39
Regular
And then it's console wars...
Thu 14/06/01 at 18:22
slaveunit wrote:
> Perhaps your mate was told to wait for the PS2 because

its a
> better machine?
it has a better future?
DC is dead?
DC games are
> now on the PS2

But on the main topic...

OPSM2 mag had a
> feature about the bleem thing. Sony are suing because bleem have
> copied their programming,and that they had to hack the ps1 code to
> work out how to do it, and bleem are saying yes, they hacked it, but
> the code for their device is entirely original.

more
> interestingly, is that there was a company (cant remember the name)
> that had ps1 games running on a PC, and Sony bought them out and
> copyrighted the software. the question is, though, are they are
> working together to make the pc emulator, or did sony buy it to stop
> it?

Can I just ask you who said you could say, "PS2 is a better machine"? It's a matter of opinion. It's not a case of whatever you say goes.

There is no right or wrong answer to which is the best console. In MY opinion, Dreamest is a lot better. In MY opinion, it has better games.

In MY opinion, the PS2 is a Sony cash-in. After all, how many GOOD games can you name on the PS2? The Dreamcast is NOT dead. If it is, how can you explain the fact that Sega is going to continue to make games for it well into next year?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.