GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 hardware"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/06/01 at 20:12
Regular
Sony made a new step in extra hardware for the ps2. The modem which is to be tried in USA will feature both an Ethernet port and a socket for a standard phone line and will retail for $40 when released in the USA this autumn. The hard drive which should hold around 40GB is yet to be given an official price but should be quite a large sum of cash, but should be worth it. They are also releasing a flat screened monitor, keyboard and mouse which shows signs of the console not just being used for game playing ( could sony have a plan up their sleeve to beat the X-box and game cube) most of these should be available in the UK towards the end of the year.

Also, I heard that the X-box should be released in USA around the 15th March 2002 which could mean a release date around sept-oct 2002 for Europe.
Fri 15/06/01 at 22:04
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Code: 144 Complete wrote:
> SonicRav wrote:

the gc
> does not have a modem...

It does
> have one and once you own the console you can go online, though I
> don't know if its built in or external but I know that one is
> available.

U have to buy it at an extra cost! so that's what i meant by it

Sonic
Fri 15/06/01 at 09:33
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
The GC has an external modem that is bought seperatly I think. It also has the 2 connections, 1 for 56k and the other for a broadband connection.
Fri 15/06/01 at 09:23
Regular
SonicRav wrote:

the gc
> does not have a modem...

It does have one and once you own the console you can go online, though I don't know if its built in or external but I know that one is available.
Thu 14/06/01 at 22:03
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Code: 144 Complete wrote:
> PS2 is the most expensive next-gen console as the gamecube,
> Dreamcast and xbox all come with a modem and the xbox will also have
> the hard drive

the gc does not have a modem...

You have to pay extra to watch DVDs on the xbox but
> its not near to the price of the PS2 add-ons (especially the HDD and
> Modem) which after a cuple of years will be needed, I think Sony
> will try and persuade PS2 owners by realizing a killah title maybe
> FFXI.

True... the xbox dvd player thing will be a small box that will ahve top quality dvd play options and a remote, for a bit more than the console's usual price... still chaeper than the PS2

Sonic
Thu 14/06/01 at 22:02
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
slaveunit wrote:
> Everyone knows that the best way to connect to the net is through a
> PC. The content for the PS2 is probably going to be restricted to
> what Sony and the other boffins want you to see, as the PS2 doesnt
> have the software to protect it from the net hackers.

For the
> same price, you
> could get a DC with a modem, and about 20
> games!

for the money you could get a spectrum with a thousand
> games, an amiga with the same, an internet ready pc, a decent car,
> even. but id rather have a ps2.

the HDD is worth getting if you
> have no modem. IOMEGA (who make ZIP drives for PCs have got one
> working that runs from your memory card socket. Say, you surf to the
> Sony site on your PC, copy a new GT car to your zip, slap it on your
> HDD and race it in the game. The HDD will also allow for faster
> loading times as its quicker than the dvdrom. Just hope that they
> still write games for the people who dont have one.

All this
> internet pS2 stuff is getting out of control. the speculation of
> what it can and can't do is spiralling. you have to remember its a
> games console, and these features like the HDD are just features. If
> you want the net, buy a PC.

So what you're saying is that the HDD isn't useless without a modem... u just have to buy a Zip drive instead (or at leasta DVD with the drivers on to attach a portable drive!)

Sonic
Thu 14/06/01 at 18:59
Regular
PS2 is the most expensive next-gen console as the gamecube, Dreamcast and xbox all come with a modem and the xbox will also have the hard drive. You have to pay extra to watch DVDs on the xbox but its not near to the price of the PS2 add-ons (especially the HDD and Modem) which after a cuple of years will be needed, I think Sony will try and persuade PS2 owners by realizing a killah title maybe FFXI.
Thu 14/06/01 at 14:02
Regular
And the chances of a Windows formatted Zip disc being compatible with the PS2 are what exactly???
Thu 14/06/01 at 14:01
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Everyone knows that the best way to connect to the net is through a PC. The content for the PS2 is probably going to be restricted to what Sony and the other boffins want you to see, as the PS2 doesnt have the software to protect it from the net hackers.

For the same price, you
> could get a DC with a modem, and about 20 games!

for the money you could get a spectrum with a thousand games, an amiga with the same, an internet ready pc, a decent car, even. but id rather have a ps2.

the HDD is worth getting if you have no modem. IOMEGA (who make ZIP drives for PCs have got one working that runs from your memory card socket. Say, you surf to the Sony site on your PC, copy a new GT car to your zip, slap it on your HDD and race it in the game. The HDD will also allow for faster loading times as its quicker than the dvdrom. Just hope that they still write games for the people who dont have one.

All this internet pS2 stuff is getting out of control. the speculation of what it can and can't do is spiralling. you have to remember its a games console, and these features like the HDD are just features. If you want the net, buy a PC.
Thu 14/06/01 at 12:57
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
if you dont like the price....dont buy it
Thu 14/06/01 at 12:17
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
How can u say that th HDD will be worth it! After spending £300 on a console (probebly more than any of the current gen consoles will cost), you then buy a HDD for say £100. But that's not enough! The HDD is USELESS without a Modem... so you buy a modem for a few quid too (say £30).

So not you have a console that can connect to the net and download "Stuff" (after all, you won't be able to run things like MSN messanger), all for £430... the current price of a 400MHz PC with print scanner and the work!

Oh! And you have no games yet... nor a mouse or keyboard to surf the web... hmm.... add another £80 for all that and you're at c. £500

For the same price, you could get a DC with a modem, and about 20 games!

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.