GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Battlefield 2142 (PC)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Battlefield 2142'.
Fri 15/12/06 at 03:14
Regular
"Captain to you."
It was a warm morning in the desert canyon, dust covering everything, making all the equipment look aged. We all knew that any second the battle would start, looking around and getting in to squads, browsing the map to check the locations of our objectives and we had no doubt in our minds that the enemy was doing the same.

I ran quickly to one of the nearby buggies as I saw others scramble for tanks and APCs everyone looking for a seat to save having to make the long trek. I put my foot down and sped past one of the tanks, I knew I was pretty unprotected in my little buggie compared to the large hovering armor clad tank, with no front or side windows any stray bullets would only find a rather fleshy target, but I also knew that I had to get to the objective before the other side.

‘I am expendable in this battle, if I fall there will always be another solider to take my place’ It might sound foolish but that is the way you have to think if you want to win a war, capturing the objectives at all costs.

I traveled quickly over the dust roads with not a single thing in front of me apart from the missile silo I was traveling for, there was no sign of the enemy, ‘Had they gone to another silo? Was I going to be able to take this one without any opposition?’ Just as that ran through my mind I heard the roaring of one of our attack ships, it moved fast over the top of me, heading for the silo past the one I was traveling to, I was glad that someone else was going to be ahead of me in the battle, someone else was going to have to see the enemy army first, to see their hover tanks and APCs, to have them fire round after round of ammunition at them desperately trying to stop you, from capturing the silo, from living.

I reached my target, I stood at the panel waiting for the confirmation that it had directed the missiles at the enemy Titan.

Titans were the main base for an army it carried supplies and had it’s own impressive firepower they float like huge metal clouds moving slowly but with purpose, ready at any minute to rain down plasma shells on any unfortunate soul or machine to be caught in it’s storm, but it’s real strength is from it’s shield, so far nothing short of these huge EMP missiles could destroy the force field and even then it could take up to 15 to take the shield down completely.

I got the confirmation through and stepped back to see a plume of smoke from the bottom of the silo as a missile climbed in to the sky and traveled towards it’s target, nothing could stop it now, within seconds I got a message through my communication device “Good work the enemy shield is taking damage” knowing that we had struck first and that the enemy would have seen the missile over head and feel despair that they were too late to stop it filled me with joy, but that joy was short lived as I heard the familiar metallic plodding, then just over the hill I saw the top gun from a Walker.

These machines were nasty; they could easily destroy a tank or two if they had the right pilot and what I wouldn’t have given for one of my own right then. My buggie which when compared to a Walker looks like a cheap metal shack on wheels wouldn’t stand a chance in a fight with it as the rounds from the buggies solo gun would just bounce off the armor.

The Walker was some 20 foot of solid armor with dual miniguns on it’s sides and explosive rounds in the center, all topped off with a repeating gun, not only did it have all this firepower it also has a personal recharging shield, making it almost impossible to get the first hit in before it opens up all it’s chambers and peppers the ground with hundreds of rounds of heated metal. I looked for the silo defenses, there was a quad anti air gun which was going to be on no help and a single high powered cannon which although could destroy a walker in 3 hits took 2-3 seconds to reload and once you fired it was like being in a big neon target with the words “Here I am please fire at me while I am reloading” on.

I checked my equipment pack and realized I had forgotten my motion mines, those little beauties would have done the trick, hovering once an vehicle is near and then homing in destroying what ever they touched, but they weren’t in my pack, I had completely forgot to pick them up when I rushed from the base. The Walker was now close, close enough that I knew I had to at least do some damage to it before it got to the silo.

You see the problem wasn’t often in taking the bases it was holding them and making sure that the enemy doesn’t just come in and take it over while you are off trying to capture another.

I ran for the Cannon knowing full well I might only get one shot before the Walker sent something back in my direction, the cannon charged and I hit the right leg of the Walker, this should have weakened it a fair bit as the legs are the main weakness of the Walker, them and the vents on it’s underside, but there was no way from this angle that I could hit a vent. The Walker launched 2 explosive rounds at the cannon, I quickly jumped out and ran for a flight of stairs, feeling a burning sensation in my back as I hit the floor, I was alive but only just.

I crawled to the top of the stairs and out on to the roof, I needed to know where the Walker was. Looking over the edge of the building I saw the top gun of the Walker turning around scanning for something or someone to shoot, I laid flat trying to think out my next move. I had decided that I would try to take the walker when the pilot got out to either repair the leg or capture the silo, but there was a risk he would do it remotely and if the damage wasn’t too bad he might not bother repairing it now.

I decided that I would try to trick him in to coming out, I jumped down next to the walker and moved to one of his legs, if at that moment he was looking at his external camera he would have seen me next to his leg and might have assumed that I had attached explosives, I knew it was risky but there was little else I could do. It happened that he was looking at the camera but unfortunately he called my bluff, the Walker took two steps back and I saw those huge mini guns lower towards me. Just as they began to spin three huge bolts of light traveled past my head knocking me to the ground.

In the pilot of the Walkers haste to dispatch me, he hadn’t noticed the three tanks traveling towards the silo, the three tank which were all part of the same squad and had fired all at the same time square in to the middle of the walker blowing it to pieces. I suspect that one of the tank drivers at least had noticed me right next to the walker but knew that they had to fire anyway before it put up it’s shield, I didn’t hold a grudge against them even though it could have easy killed me, had I been in their place I probably would have fired too. I got to my feet a bit worse for wear and climbed back in to my buggie and set my next destination on my map, the dust violently dispersing from the backs of my wheels as I beeped my horn in acknowledgment to the tanks as I past.

-----------------------------
This and other great stories to tell your grandchildren can all be yours if you get Battlefield 2142 today.

The battlefield game formula will never get old in my opinion. It is very simple and a lot of fun, taking objectives and holding them to score points or to complete other objectives.

2142 although dismissed by many fans of the Battlefield series as just a mod that you have to pay full price for. this is a brilliant game and you more than get your moneys worth, there aren’t many games where you can pay some 200 hours and still enjoy it and 2142 is one of those games.

There are all new weapons, vehicles and maps and although the graphics engine hasn’t been updated it still looks superb and runs smoothly even on the lower end of the recommended systems.

The audio in the game really makes it what it is, and if you don’t have a 5.1 speaker set or headphones I strongly suggest you get some as the sound effects will blow you away in heavy fights and even when you are just traveling you can hear the distant sounds of explosions and gun fire giving you a very submersive environment.

If you have enjoyed any of the previous Battlefield games don’t miss out on this one as I think this could be by far one of the best.
Mon 01/01/07 at 11:13
Regular
Sorry :(
Sun 31/12/06 at 00:47
Regular
"Captain to you."
hmm didn't see that comment, no i didn't copy and paste, the story is just about the first 5 minutes of a game i had that day but told as if i really experienced it.

Originally i was going to write it a lot longer but i didn't want to go on too much and it would have turned more in to a Creative writing post than a review.

To be fair it's not a great review really but hopefully does give people the sense of how the game is to play and experience.

Thanks garin for defending me and machie for the comment
Sat 30/12/06 at 22:28
Regular
Garin wrote:
> Unless you can prove he has I wouldnt bother with such comments
> as the only person who looks bad is you. ;)
>
> Chipp is a long time contributor and has written alot of good
> stuff on here over the years. So its pretty unlikely he'd even
> bother copying other peoples work.

Yep. We do get a few people who try and copy and paste someone elses work but they tend to be new users and we spot the ones the staffies miss. I wonder if they're going to give bruce666's GAD to someone else.
Sat 30/12/06 at 22:25
Regular
NickGreen wrote:
> Someone didnt just copy and paste did they?

Nope, long decent reviews like this is what wins you a GAD =) It takes a lot of effort and skill so it's great to see more GADs going to chatpost instead of cheats =)

Great review Chippxero
Sat 30/12/06 at 22:23
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
NickGreen wrote:
> Someone didnt just copy and paste did they?

Unless you can prove he has I wouldnt bother with such comments as the only person who looks bad is you. ;)

Chipp is a long time contributor and has written alot of good stuff on here over the years. So its pretty unlikely he'd even bother copying other peoples work.
Sat 30/12/06 at 22:07
Regular
Someone didnt just copy and paste did they?
Fri 15/12/06 at 03:14
Regular
"Captain to you."
It was a warm morning in the desert canyon, dust covering everything, making all the equipment look aged. We all knew that any second the battle would start, looking around and getting in to squads, browsing the map to check the locations of our objectives and we had no doubt in our minds that the enemy was doing the same.

I ran quickly to one of the nearby buggies as I saw others scramble for tanks and APCs everyone looking for a seat to save having to make the long trek. I put my foot down and sped past one of the tanks, I knew I was pretty unprotected in my little buggie compared to the large hovering armor clad tank, with no front or side windows any stray bullets would only find a rather fleshy target, but I also knew that I had to get to the objective before the other side.

‘I am expendable in this battle, if I fall there will always be another solider to take my place’ It might sound foolish but that is the way you have to think if you want to win a war, capturing the objectives at all costs.

I traveled quickly over the dust roads with not a single thing in front of me apart from the missile silo I was traveling for, there was no sign of the enemy, ‘Had they gone to another silo? Was I going to be able to take this one without any opposition?’ Just as that ran through my mind I heard the roaring of one of our attack ships, it moved fast over the top of me, heading for the silo past the one I was traveling to, I was glad that someone else was going to be ahead of me in the battle, someone else was going to have to see the enemy army first, to see their hover tanks and APCs, to have them fire round after round of ammunition at them desperately trying to stop you, from capturing the silo, from living.

I reached my target, I stood at the panel waiting for the confirmation that it had directed the missiles at the enemy Titan.

Titans were the main base for an army it carried supplies and had it’s own impressive firepower they float like huge metal clouds moving slowly but with purpose, ready at any minute to rain down plasma shells on any unfortunate soul or machine to be caught in it’s storm, but it’s real strength is from it’s shield, so far nothing short of these huge EMP missiles could destroy the force field and even then it could take up to 15 to take the shield down completely.

I got the confirmation through and stepped back to see a plume of smoke from the bottom of the silo as a missile climbed in to the sky and traveled towards it’s target, nothing could stop it now, within seconds I got a message through my communication device “Good work the enemy shield is taking damage” knowing that we had struck first and that the enemy would have seen the missile over head and feel despair that they were too late to stop it filled me with joy, but that joy was short lived as I heard the familiar metallic plodding, then just over the hill I saw the top gun from a Walker.

These machines were nasty; they could easily destroy a tank or two if they had the right pilot and what I wouldn’t have given for one of my own right then. My buggie which when compared to a Walker looks like a cheap metal shack on wheels wouldn’t stand a chance in a fight with it as the rounds from the buggies solo gun would just bounce off the armor.

The Walker was some 20 foot of solid armor with dual miniguns on it’s sides and explosive rounds in the center, all topped off with a repeating gun, not only did it have all this firepower it also has a personal recharging shield, making it almost impossible to get the first hit in before it opens up all it’s chambers and peppers the ground with hundreds of rounds of heated metal. I looked for the silo defenses, there was a quad anti air gun which was going to be on no help and a single high powered cannon which although could destroy a walker in 3 hits took 2-3 seconds to reload and once you fired it was like being in a big neon target with the words “Here I am please fire at me while I am reloading” on.

I checked my equipment pack and realized I had forgotten my motion mines, those little beauties would have done the trick, hovering once an vehicle is near and then homing in destroying what ever they touched, but they weren’t in my pack, I had completely forgot to pick them up when I rushed from the base. The Walker was now close, close enough that I knew I had to at least do some damage to it before it got to the silo.

You see the problem wasn’t often in taking the bases it was holding them and making sure that the enemy doesn’t just come in and take it over while you are off trying to capture another.

I ran for the Cannon knowing full well I might only get one shot before the Walker sent something back in my direction, the cannon charged and I hit the right leg of the Walker, this should have weakened it a fair bit as the legs are the main weakness of the Walker, them and the vents on it’s underside, but there was no way from this angle that I could hit a vent. The Walker launched 2 explosive rounds at the cannon, I quickly jumped out and ran for a flight of stairs, feeling a burning sensation in my back as I hit the floor, I was alive but only just.

I crawled to the top of the stairs and out on to the roof, I needed to know where the Walker was. Looking over the edge of the building I saw the top gun of the Walker turning around scanning for something or someone to shoot, I laid flat trying to think out my next move. I had decided that I would try to take the walker when the pilot got out to either repair the leg or capture the silo, but there was a risk he would do it remotely and if the damage wasn’t too bad he might not bother repairing it now.

I decided that I would try to trick him in to coming out, I jumped down next to the walker and moved to one of his legs, if at that moment he was looking at his external camera he would have seen me next to his leg and might have assumed that I had attached explosives, I knew it was risky but there was little else I could do. It happened that he was looking at the camera but unfortunately he called my bluff, the Walker took two steps back and I saw those huge mini guns lower towards me. Just as they began to spin three huge bolts of light traveled past my head knocking me to the ground.

In the pilot of the Walkers haste to dispatch me, he hadn’t noticed the three tanks traveling towards the silo, the three tank which were all part of the same squad and had fired all at the same time square in to the middle of the walker blowing it to pieces. I suspect that one of the tank drivers at least had noticed me right next to the walker but knew that they had to fire anyway before it put up it’s shield, I didn’t hold a grudge against them even though it could have easy killed me, had I been in their place I probably would have fired too. I got to my feet a bit worse for wear and climbed back in to my buggie and set my next destination on my map, the dust violently dispersing from the backs of my wheels as I beeped my horn in acknowledgment to the tanks as I past.

This and other great stories to tell your grandchildren can all be yours if you get Battlefield 2142 today.

The battlefield game formula will never get old in my opinion. It is very simple and a lot of fun, taking objectives and holding them to score points or to complete other objectives.

2142 although dismissed by many fans of the Battlefield series as just a mod that you have to pay full price for. this is a brilliant game and you more than get your moneys worth, there aren’t many games where you can pay some 200 hours and still enjoy it and 2142 is one of those games.

There are all new weapons, vehicles and maps and although the graphics engine hasn’t been updated it still looks superb and runs smoothly even on the lower end of the recommended systems.

The audio in the game really makes it what it is, and if you don’t have a 5.1 speaker set or headphones I strongly suggest you get some as the sound effects will blow you away in heavy fights and even when you are just traveling you can hear the distant sounds of explosions and gun fire giving you a very submersive environment.

If you have enjoyed any of the previous Battlefield games don’t miss out on this one as I think this could be by far one of the best.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.