GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What will we do?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/06/01 at 20:30
Regular
I think the Playstation 3 will be Sony's last console unless for some reason they make another but i think it will be their last.

It's a long long way off but What will we do after the PLaystation 3 is over and done with.

nightmarish thought huh?
Wed 13/06/01 at 16:52
Excuse me for saying - but this seems a little insane. Forget the PS3 for the time being!

We have been given a brand new state-of-the-art console (PS2), it hasn't even reached it's graphical potential yet, and your'e dreaming about a PS3?

Do yourself a favour:- look at the great console you have right in front of you... keep your feet on the ground.

- Tom.
Wed 13/06/01 at 14:07
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
The current rumors of the PS3 are based on Sony's project, the GS3. its a box you could put a football in and has 13 emotion engines running parallel. but its not going to be the PS3.

Predicting the success of the X-B0X is tricky, because theres so many people against MS, Gates, the shoddyness of Windows and the fact that they have bought their way into the market, yet because of the money thrown at it you can expect some good looking games on the thing, and in the end, thats what a console is about. check out the fighter on it (screenshots on dailyradar.co.uk).

If one of the console makers is going to die, id put a quid on Nintendo. They essentially make games for kids who cant afford the latest technology.

If sony make another, I'd imagine them to bring out an entertainment unit rather than a games console. PS1 played CDs, PS2 plays CDs and DVDs with dolby digital. Internet connection, email and network play are on the cards, and the buzzword surrounding the whole thing is amalgamation. They recon that ps2 will do all this and more, so I'd recon PS3 would more likely be ES3 (entertainment station) covering all entertainment media formats, (games, dvd, tv, online) along with some new things we cant to right now.

Its looking Rosy.... I can't wait!
Tue 12/06/01 at 23:31
I think we are looking too far ahead at the moment. Sony have already got the rights to the Playstation 3 name, and have already made claims that it will produce photo realistic graphics and that the consoles will be 1000 times more powerful than the PS2.

Was the any particular reason for Sony releasing info on the PS3? I mean, they're PS2 hasn't even been out for a year yet, and there is still the Xbox and Gamecube to contend with.

What will happen in the future all depends on what happens with these three consoles. There are several possibilites of what could happen.

1) Microsoft's Xbox could be a success: The way I see it, if this does happen, then one of the other major console powers could pull out (although that will be doubtful). Nintendo will still have the GBA if the Gamecube does some how manage to fail, and Ninty could also make another console, but may not bother. If Microsoft are successful with the Xbox, then Sony may bring out the PS3 earlier than expected, or they may pull out of making consoles all together, but I sincerly hope not.

2) The PS2 could be a great success: The most likely outcome of this would be Sony holding back the PS3 until the PS2 has reached it's peak and can not acheive much more. Of course, Ninty or Microsoft could pull out of making consoles. I don't mean to be biased, but Microsoft will probably be the most likely candidates as they ahve the least experience in the console market.

3)Ninty's Gamecube could be a success: If the GC is the most successful console, Ninty could make another console, possibly. Sony or Microsoft could be knocked out of the console market, but then again, this could also gice Sony a reason to release the PS3 earlier. Microsoft may have another try at a console, but what are the odds on that?

After the PS3, if it ever does get released, things may have advanced do much that consoles may not be necessary anymore. PC's may have grown so powerful, that console may not be needed anymore, although this is doubtful as consoles are made purely for games.

We'll just have to wait and see what the future holds.
Tue 12/06/01 at 21:13
I heard rumour that after PS3, Sony will be working on introducing something "Bigger" into the gaming industry.
It could be that, whatever this 'big' thing is, no longer fits into the category of 'console'.

I wouldn't expect too much news on this in a hurry though, they said it was at least 10 years away!!

I'm expecting some form of home VR machine that would be nice.

You never know :-)

Time will tell.
Tue 12/06/01 at 20:37
Maybe Playstation 2 is their last Playstation.....PS3 sounds a bit boring to me ! More likely that Sony will develop a new name for a new console. After all back in 1996 not many had heard of Playstation but Sony changed that...theres no reason they can't repeat that success again. Wonder what game's will be out for that machine ? Maybe if they start devloping GT4 now it will be ready for the launch *grins*
Tue 12/06/01 at 20:30
Regular
"Back For Good"
I think the Playstation 3 will be Sony's last console unless for some reason they make another but i think it will be their last.

It's a long long way off but What will we do after the PLaystation 3 is over and done with.

nightmarish thought huh?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.