GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Borderlands"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Borderlands'.
Sun 01/11/09 at 11:35
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
So Borderlands....a game that integrates RPG and FPS elements like no other game before. An RPS (role playing shooter) if you will. And boasts 87 bazillion guns to use.

Let's clear that up first off before we even start. Resistance has a fair amount of weapons, but this is not like that. You don't have handgun, shotgun, sniper rifle etc up to 87 bazillion different types. The guns all have stats that will vary. These stats will change and generally improve throughout the game.

Best way to describe is examples. You do still have the same types of guns (shotguns, revolvers, repeaters, sniper rifles, combat rifles, submachine guns, rocket launchers and the games Eridian cannons).

Shotgun A:
Damage: 87 x 12 (x12 is the amount of shots it fires)
Accuracy: 60.2
Fire rate: 0.5

(With other hidden stats like recoil, and recharge rate)

The damage and accuracy is pretty obvious, and the fire rate is how quickly it fires. 0.5 would equal about 2 seconds in game from what I can tell.

The guns you find will vary around these stats, and gain elemental effects as well as special effects. Such as acid rounds that burn through shelled creatures.

This combination of effects equal 87 bazillion variations of the same 9 types of guns.

STORY
----------
You are a bounty hunter type, brought to this science fiction planet by the allure of supposed cache of alien weaponry and wealth known as "The Vault". The planet is extremely hostile being almost barren and overrun by bandits and people that are generally trying to overcompensate. Your aim is to get to the vault, killing any who get in your way......

You can choose between Soldier, Berserker, Siren or Hunter characters. Each will share the same story with no changes.

GAMEPLAY
---------------
Hmmm. Where to begin. There is so much that is detailed I will try and summarise for your sake.

The first thing you notice about the game is it's lack of seriousness. The opening scene has a "skag" being mown down by your transport bus, whilst playing funky music. This continues throughout the story, which makes occasionally stopping and admiring the quest you are on very amusing. Like the idea of a crazy scientist getting revenge on her dictaphone because she thinks it cheated on her during their relationship?

You basically go from area to area performing quests for the "townspeople" whilst trotting off to find sub quests and extras etc. Their are enough quests to keep you busy, whilst never feeling overwhelmed or annoyed. The game keeps it's flow, and never puts you out of your way (90% of the time).

There are several "bosses" adding yet another level of difficulty.

Mechanics
========

The game plays majoritively as an FPS, with more or less the exact control of COD. The uniqueness comes in the fact that enimies have health poo,s and their own stats rather than just hit this guy, kill that guy.

Hitting an enemy will generate damage, based on your weapon and char stats, which is then removed from this pool, until eventually he is dead. Both enemies and yourslef apply by this rule, whilst using a Halo style shield to protect your valuable life :D

As with all RPG's it is possible to "Crit" your opponent. Take a human example etc. Hitting them in the head will result in a critical hit meaning more damage a chance of an instant death (if the damage is high enough). Other enemies have other weak spots.

Transport
========
With memories of Far Cry 2 in hand, I really thought the transport here was going to be retarded. With the areas so massive, why am I being forced to run everywhere? Well this is the same in this game....

But wait. It is until level 5 or so. Where you do a quest to unlock your transport :D This comes in the form of various spawn points across the areas that allow you to spawn a new truck when you visit. You can choose colour, and whether it has a Launcher or Machine gun turret. You can create 2 at a time, and teleport to them from any transport point on the map (making very helpful extra spawn points:D)

The trucks themselves are easy to control after getting used to them and make very fast travel possible. It's also kinda fun to run enemies over......

A 2nd form of instant transports opens later, allowing you to teleport to other points across the world at any time when activating a spawn point.

Overall transport adds to them gameplay, and helps you along the way.

THE RPG ELEMENT
----------------------------
Nothing original here from what I can tell. Anyone who has played World of Warcraft will be oddly amused I assume.

As you level up you will (after level 5) get a skill point per level to spend in a skill of your choice. You get 3 paths (or trees) per character to choose from. Take the soldier for example. He gets 3 different trees:

Infantry: Increase ability to deal damage with shotguns and combat rifles specifically
Support: Improves survivability and helps team mates with dropping ammo
Medic: Gains the ability to heal team mates by shooting them along with providing basic support skills

There are 7 skills per tree, 2 per tier (1 final skill). You need to spend 5 points in each tier before unlocking the nxt. Confused? Visit Here

-----------
The game has the ability to play the game itself, missions and all, online with others. The more people who join the game and play together the harder the enemies. This adds to the challenge and of course means better loot is dropped by the enemy upon (in my case) inevitable death.

There are some problems encountered online, that are being fixed with various patches released already.

OVERVIEW
---------------
I have immensely enjoyed the game, and feel any FPS fan would enjoy it..... even those who aren't massive FPS fans too.

There are so many other aspects that I can't go in to, because the game is just so detailed. With all the detail comes quite a large amount of attention needed but anyone trained in RPG'ing should have no problem at all, and those newcomers should slot in just as easily.

Overall I have fallen in love with the game. It seems to have been developed really well, and there are almost no glitches with a very immense game.

The mix of FPS and RPG works wonderfully, each aspect taking nothing from the other.

Score for me: 9.5/10
Online: 7/10 (The classes are heavily unbalanced resulting with every game concluding of Sirens, and the odd soldier)
Fri 06/11/09 at 14:50
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
"You did not gain a trophy" :D

Oh and when split screening you have to move the screen around 0_o

If I want to look at my menu, I want to look at my menu damn it. Not half of it and then have to scroll to the other side of it!
Fri 06/11/09 at 14:39
Regular
Warhunt wrote:
> Possibly not. Other than this..... I have not played on WOW since
> buying this game.
>
> There are niggling little problems rearing their heads, and a
> fair amount of design flaws that are really obvious. These should
> not have happened, and Gearbox really have to be slapped for it.
> Such stupid mistakes.
>
> A characters main skill not working right for one? 0_o How was
> that not noticed? (They fixed it within 5 days of release fair
> enough but still......)
>
> Another is that the engine for guns stats and even total money is
> flawed massively. The stats text fields for guns and equipement
> only allows you to see 4 stats. Where a fair amount of later gear
> has 5 extras...... so you can not really see what you are
> equipping. You also only have the ability to see 9,999,999
> dollars. You can carry more, but can't see it. You can earn that
> amount in a matter of miuntes in the much later stages....
>
> But I still love it.

And when multi-playering, when usually you'd get a trophy, instead it keeps popping up sayng 'No Trophy Awarded'.

Wow. Keep telling me that. Please.
Fri 06/11/09 at 13:31
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Possibly not. Other than this..... I have not played on WOW since buying this game.

There are niggling little problems rearing their heads, and a fair amount of design flaws that are really obvious. These should not have happened, and Gearbox really have to be slapped for it. Such stupid mistakes.

A characters main skill not working right for one? 0_o How was that not noticed? (They fixed it within 5 days of release fair enough but still......)

Another is that the engine for guns stats and even total money is flawed massively. The stats text fields for guns and equipement only allows you to see 4 stats. Where a fair amount of later gear has 5 extras...... so you can not really see what you are equipping. You also only have the ability to see 9,999,999 dollars. You can carry more, but can't see it. You can earn that amount in a matter of miuntes in the much later stages....

But I still love it.
Wed 04/11/09 at 15:57
Regular
"Cogito Ergo Pwn."
Nice.

I hear mixed things about this game. Some people love it, some people feel a little disppointed with it (perhaps due to some of the rumours pre-launch). Always good to hear someone "falling in love" with a game. Is there any higher praise?
Mon 02/11/09 at 17:39
Regular
"How Ironic"
Haha nah, really, i think Staffies should be eligible for GAD awards, as long as it's the decision of other staff members and it is another staff member who posts the announcement :P

Anyone who disagrees, look at it this way; Warhunt (as an example :P) has no influence as to wether his review wins a GAD, but the other staff members may believe he has submitted the best material (in his spare time) so therefore he has as much right as any other member to win.

STAFFIES FOR GADS! HERE! HERE!
Mon 02/11/09 at 13:29
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Plus we have to submit them out of work hours. So the likelihood of us winning is minmal.

Besides I don't think I would ever award myself one for fear of the exact comment Chris made :)
Mon 02/11/09 at 11:02
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
theweirdo666 wrote:
> Great review, shame staff can't win GAD's. However, i give you
> staff moderator of the month! lol

Warhunt wrote:
> We can win them actually ;)

Sonic Chris wrote:
> *ahem* GIVE THEM TO YOURSELF?!!

pb wrote:
> Yeah, and Warhunt for GAD this week! :)

He can only win them if we [the other staffies] decide it is worthy. After his threats to beat me up (pah!) in another thread and the abuse he will no doubt send my way in relation to this weekends football, he is unlikely to get my vote :)
Mon 02/11/09 at 10:04
"possibly impossible"
Nice review. I keep hearing good things about this game.

Yeah, and Warhunt for GAD this week! :)
Sun 01/11/09 at 23:40
Regular
"How Ironic"
*ahem* GIVE THEM TO YOURSELF?!!

Great review Warhunt.

Need to get my reviewing cap back on...

Puts cap on
Sun 01/11/09 at 17:08
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
We can win them actually ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.