GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Games Console] Nintendo Wii"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/12/06 at 22:39
"possibly impossible"
The 8th December was something of an exciting day for me. It would be the first time I’d got my hands on a Nintendo Wii. None of the Nintendo events showcasing their new console had come to my area and none of the local game shops had a demo model, so I was really going to be experiencing it from Day 1 with no previous experience.

I donned my L plates and opened the Wii box for the first time. My first impressions were of sleek design, very reminiscent of the iPod or Apple computer. Some serious consideration had gone in to the looks of this console.

But I guess I should be moving on to more important matters. The console comes boxed (very neatly, I might add) with a sensor bar which monitors movement of the Wii Remote, a standard Composite cable and Scart adaptor, power cable, stand and a clear stabiliser for the stand (to stop it falling on its side). The Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers are also included, as is Wii Sports – a series of sports games that show of the controller’s unique features. There are two USB ports at the back, possibly able to take a keyboard and other peripherals brought out later on.

But a good looking console isn’t anything without games and software. The first thing you see after the safety message is a cool ‘channel’ menu with options to Play a game, create a Mii character (a sort of digital version of yourself or anyone else you care to create), view Photo’s from an SD Card, go shopping for Virtual Console games and check the weather and news.

Creating a Mii is easy and there are almost limitless options to choose from. Hair, skin tone, eyes and everything else can be adjusted to make them look like you. These Mii characters are then dumped into the Mii Plaza and once you add some friend codes to your console, they can mingle. It’s quite fun to see who’ll turn up on your Wii next. The Wii even has a Notepad function where you can leave notes for people in your house or write emails to other Wii users you’ve added.

And so, at last, to games. Wii Sports is the best place to start, especially as it comes packaged in the box. The simple menu system and use of Mii characters allows you to get used to the controller and experience your first piece of Wii magic. The game is split into 5 events: Bowling, Tennis, Boxing, Baseball and Golf. Added to this are training modes and a ‘Wii Sports Age’ mode which gives you your Sports Age in a similar way to the Brain Age on the DS Brain Training game.

All the games, bar boxing, are controlled with the remote. It’s as easy as copying the real actions you’d make when playing the sport, so anyone can instantly get into the game. Boxing uses the Nunchuk attachment as well, which lets you use both hands to guard and hit. All the games are fun to play, without exception, though some (such as Tennis and Golf) are more in-depth than others. Graphics are clear and clean, almost cartoony. They’re not going to win awards next to other next-gen systems, but they do their job very well in these games.

So, does the control system work? Well, for Wii Sports it does, and for the console itself. You can get a good feel for the remote by going to the Photo channel and doodling silly faces on people’s photos. It’s quite fun turning someone into Mario, honest.

Web browsing, News and Weather are still to come on the system, with Nintendo yet to release these channels, but once they’re active they will be invaluable to anyone who doesn’t have a PC or digital ‘red button’ services.

You’ve already gathered that I like the system, and there’s so much to like. But it won’t convert you from other Next-gen machines if graphics and realistic sandbox/shooting games are your thing, and currently there are no online games to play. It doesn't have DVD playback either, so it can't compete against the 360 and PS3 as a multi-media system. Nintendo's idea was to keep the Wii uncomplicated and thereby attract a new audience, as well as to allow gamers to experience a new way to interact with their games.

In short, for anyone who loves Nintendo, people who have never played a game for fear of the complicated controllers or people who just want to have a bit of fun, the Nintendo Wii is fantastic.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 12/12/06 at 22:39
"possibly impossible"
The 8th December was something of an exciting day for me. It would be the first time I’d got my hands on a Nintendo Wii. None of the Nintendo events showcasing their new console had come to my area and none of the local game shops had a demo model, so I was really going to be experiencing it from Day 1 with no previous experience.

I donned my L plates and opened the Wii box for the first time. My first impressions were of sleek design, very reminiscent of the iPod or Apple computer. Some serious consideration had gone in to the looks of this console.

But I guess I should be moving on to more important matters. The console comes boxed (very neatly, I might add) with a sensor bar which monitors movement of the Wii Remote, a standard Composite cable and Scart adaptor, power cable, stand and a clear stabiliser for the stand (to stop it falling on its side). The Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers are also included, as is Wii Sports – a series of sports games that show of the controller’s unique features. There are two USB ports at the back, possibly able to take a keyboard and other peripherals brought out later on.

But a good looking console isn’t anything without games and software. The first thing you see after the safety message is a cool ‘channel’ menu with options to Play a game, create a Mii character (a sort of digital version of yourself or anyone else you care to create), view Photo’s from an SD Card, go shopping for Virtual Console games and check the weather and news.

Creating a Mii is easy and there are almost limitless options to choose from. Hair, skin tone, eyes and everything else can be adjusted to make them look like you. These Mii characters are then dumped into the Mii Plaza and once you add some friend codes to your console, they can mingle. It’s quite fun to see who’ll turn up on your Wii next. The Wii even has a Notepad function where you can leave notes for people in your house or write emails to other Wii users you’ve added.

And so, at last, to games. Wii Sports is the best place to start, especially as it comes packaged in the box. The simple menu system and use of Mii characters allows you to get used to the controller and experience your first piece of Wii magic. The game is split into 5 events: Bowling, Tennis, Boxing, Baseball and Golf. Added to this are training modes and a ‘Wii Sports Age’ mode which gives you your Sports Age in a similar way to the Brain Age on the DS Brain Training game.

All the games, bar boxing, are controlled with the remote. It’s as easy as copying the real actions you’d make when playing the sport, so anyone can instantly get into the game. Boxing uses the Nunchuk attachment as well, which lets you use both hands to guard and hit. All the games are fun to play, without exception, though some (such as Tennis and Golf) are more in-depth than others. Graphics are clear and clean, almost cartoony. They’re not going to win awards next to other next-gen systems, but they do their job very well in these games.

So, does the control system work? Well, for Wii Sports it does, and for the console itself. You can get a good feel for the remote by going to the Photo channel and doodling silly faces on people’s photos. It’s quite fun turning someone into Mario, honest.

Web browsing, News and Weather are still to come on the system, with Nintendo yet to release these channels, but once they’re active they will be invaluable to anyone who doesn’t have a PC or digital ‘red button’ services.

You’ve already gathered that I like the system, and there’s so much to like. But it won’t convert you from other Next-gen machines if graphics and realistic sandbox/shooting games are your thing, and currently there are no online games to play. It doesn't have DVD playback either, so it can't compete against the 360 and PS3 as a multi-media system. Nintendo's idea was to keep the Wii uncomplicated and thereby attract a new audience, as well as to allow gamers to experience a new way to interact with their games.

In short, for anyone who loves Nintendo, people who have never played a game for fear of the complicated controllers or people who just want to have a bit of fun, the Nintendo Wii is fantastic.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.