GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PLAYSTATION JR"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/06/01 at 19:16
Regular
Those of us who now own an amazing PS2 have in my opinion brought it just in time.

WHAY YOU ASK?

Well its simple the PSONE has become a toy for little kids.
Almost every new game released is a kids game , Harry Potter , Toy story racer , Lego island 2 , who wants to be a millionnaire jr , bob the builder , tweenies and many many more.
So basiacly sony are pressuring ad forcing us into buying a PS2 because adults and teenagers dont really want to play games like noddy ( unless you like that sort of thing ) They want fighting , shooting and action games which are now vertualy only available on the £300 PS2.
And there is nothing we can do about it unless you buy a PS2 which not every one can afford.

A possible reason behind all this is that game develoers have push the PSONE to the limits and cant improve ny more so they are just releasing kids games with simple graphics and a short length.

Sun 10/06/01 at 19:16
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Those of us who now own an amazing PS2 have in my opinion brought it just in time.

WHAY YOU ASK?

Well its simple the PSONE has become a toy for little kids.
Almost every new game released is a kids game , Harry Potter , Toy story racer , Lego island 2 , who wants to be a millionnaire jr , bob the builder , tweenies and many many more.
So basiacly sony are pressuring ad forcing us into buying a PS2 because adults and teenagers dont really want to play games like noddy ( unless you like that sort of thing ) They want fighting , shooting and action games which are now vertualy only available on the £300 PS2.
And there is nothing we can do about it unless you buy a PS2 which not every one can afford.

A possible reason behind all this is that game develoers have push the PSONE to the limits and cant improve ny more so they are just releasing kids games with simple graphics and a short length.

Sun 10/06/01 at 19:38
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
do you agree or disagree?
what do you think?
Sun 10/06/01 at 21:58
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
PS1 has its day. By next year no new games will be released, there are a few still coming out but none that really are going to be MGS or GT beaters.
Tue 12/06/01 at 19:26
Admittedly most of the PS1 games being released are more cartoon themed e.g. Rugrats In Paris, but the new Alone In the Dark looks pretty good, and it is Summer ( technically ) so there's less games around anyway. PS1 has a massive established user base whilst the PS2 is just starting to gather users as console prics drop and availability issues disappear.

PS1 has been around now since like 1997 ( think, but am not sure ) so anyone who bought it back then has had four years of great games. I dare anyone to name a PC machine they have bought and not had to upgrade in order to still play games four years later !

PS2 has the more adult orientated games, and therefore what are considered the greatest games, because not many 12 year olds are going to pay out £310 for a console and one game. The majority of PS 2 users tend to be around 16 + and have some kind of job, they aren't going to buy kids games so thats why you see titles like Silent Hill 2 in development.

I don't think the end is nigh for PS1, I mean the gameboy has been out like ages and still new games come out for it.
Wed 13/06/01 at 16:04
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
thinking about it the games are a bit like the sort you will find on a game boy - maybe sony are trying to make shaw that their psone beats the gba.
Wed 13/06/01 at 18:17
Have you seen the graphics? The GBA practically IS a PSOne.
Wed 13/06/01 at 20:15
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
i no.
if i ever get one.
im defiently getting :
tony halks 2
and
mario kart
Wed 13/06/01 at 21:38
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Stranger In Paradise wrote:
PS1 has been around now since like
> 1997 ( think, but am not sure ) so anyone who bought it back then
> has had four years of great games.

Had mine christmas 1996 after it had been 1 year out over here so in England it cam out in 1995. And in Japan it cam out in 1994. So in September 2001 the console will be 7 years old in Japan and 6 years in the UK. Pretty good for a console. Only the Gameboy has stayed in longer I would have thought.
Wed 13/06/01 at 21:42
Regular
I got mine the same time as Adrian. I bought Wipeout 2097 at the same time. (Released Nov/Dec `96).

Also, has anyone seen Wookiee Monster about?
Thu 14/06/01 at 14:57
Hi ssxpro. He's in Florida now. So unless he gets particularly bored over there and decides to log on (unlikely I'd have thought!), we won't hear from him for a couple of weeks.

I always did wonder where Wookiee's went on holiday. I wonder if Ewoks go to the seaside, or Jawas go on the log flume at Alton Towers :-?

The PSOne demographic has changed. The drop in price means that it's being bought for (and no doubt in some cases, by) younger kids, and obviously developers are going to try and create games for that market. Being cynical, there's usually a lot less effort required in making kids games. Kids are supposedly less worried about bugs, or shoddy graphics, than 'hardcore' gamers are. It's partly the patronising attitude that you can sell anything to younger kids, and keep repeating the same formula ad infinitum. Also with younger kids, quite often family members will purchase the games, rather than the kids themselves. If they recognise a brand name (Rugrats, or whatever), they are more likely to buy that, over something they don't necessarily know about.

Also the PSOne's older audience will be decreasing, as they move on to the newer consoles. So it's in the developers/publishers best interest to have the more adult titles on the new consoles, and the younger kids' games on the older ones. The PSOne has been pushed to the limit, and unless new ideas come along, the games will be regurgitating the same gameplay and the same graphics. Why carry on trying to develop for an old console, when you could be dedicating your time getting to grips with the PS2? A lot of these companies can't afford to be left behind. Their competitors will be developing 2nd or 3rd generation games for the PS2, and they'll be left floundering as they didn't jump on to the new console bandwagon fast enough.

But this doesn't necessarily leave those older PSOne gamers who can't afford a PS2 with nowhere to go. Yes there are less 'adult' games being released for the PSOne, but there is also a huge back catalogue of games available. A lot of them at cheap prices as well. I've seen offers for decent PSOne games where you could pick up 3 or 4 for the same price as a brand new PS2 game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.