GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pulling my hair out with this."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/11/05 at 03:11
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I'm trying to set a folder as protected using htaccess/htpasswd. I have the htaccess file in the folder to be protected, and the htpasswd in another folder that I won't divulge. The syntax for authentication is exactly as it should be - I get the pop-up box with realm, etc. - yet it won't let me in after I enter the username and password.

It's all setup correctly, I'm sure.

In a directory, let's say "shop/confirm/"...

.htaccess:
AuthName WebsiteName
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /httpdocs/protected_folder/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
require valid-user

Then in "protected_folder/"...

.htpasswd:
username:password (I used an online encryption tool to spew out gobbledegook for the password)

I'm at a loss, it should be working as far as I can see (that's what they all say...) ?!?!
Wed 16/11/05 at 09:21
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I'm making something but it'll be allowed members only, so it'll lose the spark of random spazzes on this place.
Tue 15/11/05 at 20:04
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Are you going to make the new SR forums? The lack of the blue bar is scaring me. :(
Tue 15/11/05 at 04:09
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
And whaddyaknow, a typo!

Fixed (for now)
Tue 15/11/05 at 03:11
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I'm trying to set a folder as protected using htaccess/htpasswd. I have the htaccess file in the folder to be protected, and the htpasswd in another folder that I won't divulge. The syntax for authentication is exactly as it should be - I get the pop-up box with realm, etc. - yet it won't let me in after I enter the username and password.

It's all setup correctly, I'm sure.

In a directory, let's say "shop/confirm/"...

.htaccess:
AuthName WebsiteName
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /httpdocs/protected_folder/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
require valid-user

Then in "protected_folder/"...

.htpasswd:
username:password (I used an online encryption tool to spew out gobbledegook for the password)

I'm at a loss, it should be working as far as I can see (that's what they all say...) ?!?!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.