GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"HTTP headers via .htaccess"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/11/05 at 14:19
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Hi all,

I'm just doing a quick Google, but as I'm not having too much luck, thought I'd chance it that someone may be able to point me in the right direction.

Is it possible to set individual HTTP headers for a particular file via a .htaccess file? And if so, what sort of commands should be issued within the file?

Thanks to anybody who can help.
Tue 15/11/05 at 16:04
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
It's not really about NOT using the latest version, it's more a case of not downloading the page again if it is cached and already the latest version. If you can get the HTTP headers set, and plan ahead when updates will take place, you can save a load of bandwidth and HTTP round trips (i.e. the web browser making a request, and the server responding) as the browser will already have cahced some of the content (which are mainly images, css files and javascript pages, but can be full html pages too).

I've come across mod_headers though, which I think is what I need, along with the bit in a .htaccess file you added, so thanks for a kick in the right direction.
Tue 15/11/05 at 15:06
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
No idea then, sorry.

EDIT: Actually, what occassion would there be when you didn't want to use the latest possible version of a page?
Tue 15/11/05 at 13:29
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I'm looking to set the HTTP headers for the expires date on individual files, to make use of browser caching.

The idea is that the HTTP Expire header (and I think an ETAG, unless they are one in the same) tells the browser that the file won't expire (e.g. be altered) until a specific date, so if said file is in the browser cache, use that right away, rather than asking the web server if a newer version exists (saving a round trip and possible re-download of the same file).
Tue 15/11/05 at 02:23
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Wrong! I was wrong!

require valid-user

That'll set authentication for individual files. I'm having some trouble getting basic authentication to work for something here - anyone know if it's likely to be the path that I'm getting wrong?
Mon 14/11/05 at 17:26
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Nope, htaccess applies to the whole directory. You can still setup authentication within the page header, which is what I suppose they're for.

EDIT: What do you actually want it to do?
Mon 14/11/05 at 14:19
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Hi all,

I'm just doing a quick Google, but as I'm not having too much luck, thought I'd chance it that someone may be able to point me in the right direction.

Is it possible to set individual HTTP headers for a particular file via a .htaccess file? And if so, what sort of commands should be issued within the file?

Thanks to anybody who can help.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.