GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo + Online = Perfect Match?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 28/09/04 at 15:32
Regular
I know, I know, this has been talked about loads before, time and time again, but I really do wonder why Nintendo have taken such a negative stance towards online play. I mean, of recent Nintendo have put a lot of emphasis on multiplayer, and with many of their games, online gaming just seems like the natural evolution for them.

What's spurred this thought on? Well, Animal Crossing of course. It just seemed that everything is geared towards going online from the off. The sequel was originally meant to be online, and from the looks of things Nintendo always had that in mind.

You could use the argument that it's better to be playing with 3 mates sat around the TV, which is very true (and in a game like the ever-respawning Four Swords, essential), but with a game like Animal Crossing, visiting different players towns online, stealing their fruit and villagers, chopping down their trees, it just seems like it was written in the stars since the day the concept was born. What is currently a game that could be interesting for a month or two could be a game that you'll keep back to, month after month, for years to come and that sense of community that Nintendo are obviously trying to create would, in many ways, be achieved.

But instead, out of nowhere, they were suddenly completely against the idea. I don't know whether this was because they didn't want to compete with Xbox Live (let's be honest, if you want to create a successful online service, you can't get much better than Microsoft), but it certainly seems that way.

Why? One word: NDS.

Just look at the games, it looks truly like a 'multiplayer' console. All of Nintendo's initial games look to require more than one person to get the most out of, and what with WiFi perhaps bringing some of these games online, you get the feeling that maybe they never did want to compete with such an experienced online company. So maybe, just maybe, this is something to test the water, before they dive in with the GameCube (hey, I'm optimistic), after all, we're yet to see this 'groundbreaking peripheral that will add life to an existing console', have we?

Just look at the evidence, the GBA to GameCube connectivity was something of a flop, mainly due to the fact that you needed to end up spending a load of money for two or three games, and now with two screens Nintendo can recreate what they were trying with that original concept. It's already been confirmed that yet another Four Swords title and Final Fantasy games are being developed for the system. Now all people will need is the console, the game, and someone nearby with a DS (or a wireless internet connection). With voice recognition as well, this is looking more and more to be the ultimate online/multiplayer console.

Essentially, Nintendo have got the basis to do everything original they tried with the GBA to GameCube connection without any hassle or problems, but now with the added option of online play. I just can't help but get excited as to what they're planning for the future.

The thought of Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Four Swords, Metroid Prime... all with the possibility of online play, it just reawakens my faith in Nintendo after what has been an almost none-existent year since E3. Hopefully sometime in the future I'll be able to visit every forum member’s village, hit their villagers in the head with a net, steal their fruit and trap them in a hole for weeks.

I, personally, can't wait.
Tue 28/09/04 at 15:32
Regular
I know, I know, this has been talked about loads before, time and time again, but I really do wonder why Nintendo have taken such a negative stance towards online play. I mean, of recent Nintendo have put a lot of emphasis on multiplayer, and with many of their games, online gaming just seems like the natural evolution for them.

What's spurred this thought on? Well, Animal Crossing of course. It just seemed that everything is geared towards going online from the off. The sequel was originally meant to be online, and from the looks of things Nintendo always had that in mind.

You could use the argument that it's better to be playing with 3 mates sat around the TV, which is very true (and in a game like the ever-respawning Four Swords, essential), but with a game like Animal Crossing, visiting different players towns online, stealing their fruit and villagers, chopping down their trees, it just seems like it was written in the stars since the day the concept was born. What is currently a game that could be interesting for a month or two could be a game that you'll keep back to, month after month, for years to come and that sense of community that Nintendo are obviously trying to create would, in many ways, be achieved.

But instead, out of nowhere, they were suddenly completely against the idea. I don't know whether this was because they didn't want to compete with Xbox Live (let's be honest, if you want to create a successful online service, you can't get much better than Microsoft), but it certainly seems that way.

Why? One word: NDS.

Just look at the games, it looks truly like a 'multiplayer' console. All of Nintendo's initial games look to require more than one person to get the most out of, and what with WiFi perhaps bringing some of these games online, you get the feeling that maybe they never did want to compete with such an experienced online company. So maybe, just maybe, this is something to test the water, before they dive in with the GameCube (hey, I'm optimistic), after all, we're yet to see this 'groundbreaking peripheral that will add life to an existing console', have we?

Just look at the evidence, the GBA to GameCube connectivity was something of a flop, mainly due to the fact that you needed to end up spending a load of money for two or three games, and now with two screens Nintendo can recreate what they were trying with that original concept. It's already been confirmed that yet another Four Swords title and Final Fantasy games are being developed for the system. Now all people will need is the console, the game, and someone nearby with a DS (or a wireless internet connection). With voice recognition as well, this is looking more and more to be the ultimate online/multiplayer console.

Essentially, Nintendo have got the basis to do everything original they tried with the GBA to GameCube connection without any hassle or problems, but now with the added option of online play. I just can't help but get excited as to what they're planning for the future.

The thought of Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Four Swords, Metroid Prime... all with the possibility of online play, it just reawakens my faith in Nintendo after what has been an almost none-existent year since E3. Hopefully sometime in the future I'll be able to visit every forum member’s village, hit their villagers in the head with a net, steal their fruit and trap them in a hole for weeks.

I, personally, can't wait.
Tue 28/09/04 at 15:50
Regular
Yes, 'tis a shame the 'Cube didn't come with online play, as games like TS2 and Double Dash (although it had LAN) begged to be played online.

Suppose Ninty are standing by their legendary statement of 'we are all about games' but you could argue that online play would make games like Four Swords truly 'incredible'.

Myself, I don't really care about online play. It takes ages to setup and I would rather have a couple of mates round persoanlly. Plus, I buy games for my PC to play online.

The NDS though I hope will come with wireless interent capabilities, but all we can do is wait.

The 'Big N' never let us down, and so far Shigsy and co have lived up to that statement.

The future's bright, the future's Ninty :D
Tue 28/09/04 at 15:59
Regular
Sony's massive fan base, and the X-box's PC appeal mean that both consoles are set to make a profit from online gaming.

Nintendo have a small fanbase (just under the size of the ol' box) and about 70% of them are children. A demographic not involved in online gaming.

Online gaming requires a lot of matinance and so forth and a lot of money.

But as certain games have proven it can be profitable.

But not on a Nintendo system. The cost of online gaming is dramatically falling and when Nintendo can offer a "nearly free" online service that won't dent Nintendo's pockets they'll do it.

Progression in technology means that it will be possible, not quite there yet and it is too late for Nintendo to jump on this bandwagon during this current generation.

But they will, when it doesn't cost Nintendo an arm and a leg. If the Gamecube was more popular it would be a different story.

The DS proves Nintendo are perfectly willing.
Tue 28/09/04 at 16:02
Regular
True. There aren't many kids who really care about online, huh. I didn't realise that the fanbase was 70% kiddies. Christ that's high.

But does it matter. I get three friends round and destroy them on TS2 and FIFA. Then they throw the controller at me. Then WWIII kicks off...
Tue 28/09/04 at 16:04
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
However i think that of revolution does not take advantage of online play, then nintendo will win more enemies than friends. As much as i like to play Nintendo games, not being able to play them online makes me feel like im being punished for being a grown up.
Tue 28/09/04 at 16:07
Regular
Good point. Although Ninty are preparing 'we hope' online play on the DS, we will also need it on the Revolution. Otherwise Nintendo of Europe will then...die? And then we move to Japan where we can pick up games that don't come out in UK for 10 years.
Tue 28/09/04 at 17:45
Regular
The NDS sounds very promising online.

The games are simple so Nintendo will be able to run the service effectively without needing to build huge systems and make complicated programs, so less problems.

Also, with Wi Fi becoming more popular (heck, you could get broadband by just taking the DS into my house) it might just take off.... slowly. :-)
It's just a real shame that despite the power, the NDS isn't quite kitted out for N64 games...

By the by, I can see Wireless Whiteboard becoming VERY popular...
Tue 28/09/04 at 22:53
"period drama"
They're just using their heads. Yeah, it would be the best thing ever to grace gaming - just thinking of all the genius Ninty games online makes my bladder weep.
But, like they say, it's not worth it because only a relative handful of people have the ability to play online.

As for the DS - yup, 'twill be bloody fantastic. Because everyone has the ability to go online as soon as they buy the console, and most people will do.
What idiot doesn't want to play MK online, after all?
Wed 29/09/04 at 09:36
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I wonder if DS online success will convince Nintendo...
Wed 29/09/04 at 16:50
Regular
The thing is with the DS there is no ISP that needs fussing around with. There is no linking to the computer or anything, it doesn't require much money.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.