GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Old style studying is pretty useless"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/11/05 at 16:49
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I'm doing a presentation on medieval Florence tomorrow (It was Montpellier and then Krakow but who's counting?)

Anyway, I spent about six hours going through four books about the history of Florence. These massive books were too specfic and for the life of me couldn't find the general outline to get a grasp on the situation.

Anyway, my twenty minute presentation is now based on a Florence web-site (Tourist Guide to Florence) with some nuggets from the books and general knowledge.

The internet for the win.
Sun 13/11/05 at 14:48
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
A tip for internet references in marked coursework - if you're giving your lecturer your submission via e-mail then make sure that if you do put an internet reference then you right click on it and select "Remove Hyperlink" so you can't click on it and it'll take you straight to the webpage.

Someone on my course referenced a page and because he couldn't be bothered to do proper research and it was about something completely different. The lecturer simply clicked on the link (and the rest in the submission) and it brought up the web page to show it was blatently obvious he wasn't bothered about the course and was promptly expelled from University.

OK he was running out of time and was inevitably going to be booted out but this speeded it up. I'm not saying that your lecturer won't follow up the reference but if they did and say for whatever unintentional reason there was an error you could be punished for it.

I was glad he went though as he was only there because he didn't want to get a job.
Sun 13/11/05 at 12:48
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Smedlos wrote:
> Yeah same when I was at University although unlike cookie monster we
> could use internet references but had to have a good balance of them
> and book references.

Very true.

The thing with the net is that all the resources are different, in style, look, feel and professionalism. With a good book, it's all the same. My C++ and PHP books are invaluable.
Sun 13/11/05 at 12:44
Regular
"lets go back"
I have to use books as sources. The internet supposedly isnt reliable because anyone could have made the website. It can be hard to find appropriate material at times. Im doing Medicinal Chemistry and have to do several practical reports and quote literature values in comparison to my own findings. Most text books give general summaries eg, if you do X then Y increases. But, when you need to know exactly how much it increases by for a particular substance to compare to your own results, it doesnt tell you.

EDIT:- I can usually always find the answer on the internet. Which is more annoying becaue I cant use it as a source.
Wed 09/11/05 at 08:52
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
SHEEPY wrote:
> Exactly but Universities are so pretencious, especially my
> department.
>
> If you don't include books printed from the 1930s based on an
> author's biast account in which 50% is out dated and only about 10%
> is relevant to your question then it is deemed you haven't researched
> enough.

Yeah same when I was at University although unlike cookie monster we could use internet references but had to have a good balance of them and book references.
Wed 09/11/05 at 02:56
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I remember in college, we had to research on the net an example of a violent person, and then analyse their behaviour in terms of various theories. This was psychology, by the by. Anyway, for a laugh I typed something like "people being violent" into Google to see what would come up. One of the first sites was about moose, and what to do if you encounter one. Specifically, a violent one. So I split off from my group and did a presentation on moose, rather than people. Pretty much just based on the website and then putting the spin of the various theories on it.

Everyone laughed and the teacher didn't mind, easy money.
Tue 08/11/05 at 23:18
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Whitestripes DS wrote:
> The essay I just did allocated 20% of it's marks to your sources.

yeah, the dissertation research is 40% of the marks.. hence my stressing out a little :S
Tue 08/11/05 at 20:58
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I have to read stuff I don't want to read

:(
Tue 08/11/05 at 19:48
Regular
The essay I just did allocated 20% of it's marks to your sources.
Tue 08/11/05 at 19:21
Regular
"you've got a beard"
yeah, i`m finding the same thing with the research for my dissertation.
Doing an CG animation based dissertation is a pain in the butt as there are precious few books on the subject and not that much of a history (relatively) to research.
Not TOO much of a problem until you consider that universities don`t really rate internet research and only pop for "academic writings". If anyone can find an academic writing about "how no-one respects the new star wars movies because they had no reson to care about the cg characters (gungans, clone troopers etc), whereas at least stormtroopers were stuntmen in suits" kinda thing then please, let me know.
Tue 08/11/05 at 17:04
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
What a strange double post anomaly.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.