GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why are UK web hosts so crap?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/11/05 at 17:22
"High polygon count"
They're simply not a patch on their US counterparts.

Piddly amounts of disk space and/or bandwidth, hopelessly small numbers of real e-mail addresses, and extortionate pricing.

One wants to charge £20 a year for 25MB space and 5 POP3 e-mail addresses.

My current US-based host gives me 150MB and unlimited POP3 e-mail addresses, 9GB bandwidth and unlimited everything else for about £16 a year.

My current host is usually very good, but have had quite a few problems lately, which is why I've been looking around. I thought I'd see about switching to a UK-based company, but it just doesn't seem to be worth it. The only comparable deals are with other US-based companies.
Fri 11/11/05 at 09:29
"Are you sure?"
Tyla wrote:
> Hmmm... wrote:
>
> Google etc. use the IP address to see where the site 'lives' so if
> the site is for a UK company you have to think of this.
>
> You have any links for further info on this please. The company I now
> work for have been asked to do some SEO for a client who's sites are
> all hoted at Internic in the US and wanted to use this information as
> part of the report.
>
> Oddly enough, there's issues with having your email server hosted in
> the US too due to the major differences in privacy laws and data
> protection between the US and UK. Something worth bearing in mind.

Hi Tyla, It seems Google uses a number of items to establish if a site should show up in the "Pages fron the UK" option. Having a co.uk TLD is an obvious and the country the IP address is allotted to is also believed to be involved.

Use this search on Google [URL]http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22uk+only%22+ip+geographic&meta=[/URL]
I can recommend registering with WebmasterWorld if you haven't already(the first result) a lot can be learnt about SEO/SEP on that site.

Another way to prove things is to pick a site that's hosted in another country but should be in the UK SERPS (Search Engine Result Pages) - if the site does well in Google in a normal search but disappears or does poorly in a UK Only search then that should tell your clients a thing or two...

FWIW - I have a number of .com and .co.uk's hosted with Freeola and they all do well on Google and show up when users choose UK pages only.

I believe 1and1 host their sites in Germany and I have definitely seen this mess up the UK only option.

Hope that helps.
Thu 10/11/05 at 19:46
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Hmmm... wrote:

> Google etc. use the IP address to see where the site 'lives' so if
> the site is for a UK company you have to think of this.

You have any links for further info on this please. The company I now work for have been asked to do some SEO for a client who's sites are all hoted at Internic in the US and wanted to use this information as part of the report.

Oddly enough, there's issues with having your email server hosted in the US too due to the major differences in privacy laws and data protection between the US and UK. Something worth bearing in mind.
Thu 10/11/05 at 18:25
"Are you sure?"
I only use UK hosting company's that also have their servers physically in the UK so the site does well in "UK only" type searches...

Google etc. use the IP address to see where the site 'lives' so if the site is for a UK company you have to think of this.
Thu 10/11/05 at 16:51
Regular
"Bicycle"
It's the same with broadband...

Damn you England. Why are you so expensive?

EDIT: Not just England.
Thu 10/11/05 at 14:40
"High polygon count"
Have to admit, my current US host is pretty awesome at customer service.

I've had 2 or 3 issues recently, and all have been rectified within an hour of sending an e-mail. I'd be more than happy except for the recent downtime - they didn't offer any explanation, and it affected my eBay auctions because people couldn't see the pictures.
Thu 10/11/05 at 14:18
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
It's due to costs. The UK is still one of the most expensive places in the world for bandwidth and online charges/server space. The US has always been cheaper than us, but I personally won't use a US host as I like the comfort zone of having someone at the end of a phone line during UK office hours.

There are some damn good UK hosts out there is you look past the usual drivel like Fasthost, 1&1 etc etc.
Thu 10/11/05 at 14:13
"High polygon count"
nadwidth?

:-)
Wed 09/11/05 at 16:21
Regular
I agree, my webhost gave me 1Gb space and more nadwidth than I need for a grand total of 25 quid for two years.
Mon 07/11/05 at 17:22
"High polygon count"
They're simply not a patch on their US counterparts.

Piddly amounts of disk space and/or bandwidth, hopelessly small numbers of real e-mail addresses, and extortionate pricing.

One wants to charge £20 a year for 25MB space and 5 POP3 e-mail addresses.

My current US-based host gives me 150MB and unlimited POP3 e-mail addresses, 9GB bandwidth and unlimited everything else for about £16 a year.

My current host is usually very good, but have had quite a few problems lately, which is why I've been looking around. I thought I'd see about switching to a UK-based company, but it just doesn't seem to be worth it. The only comparable deals are with other US-based companies.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.