GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo being forced to stop making the Wii?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/12/06 at 18:11
"possibly impossible"
Interlink electronics claims that the Wii Remote infringes copyright for its own 'trigger based pointing device'

The company is asking for Nintendo to avoid further infringement of their patent. This possibly means (and has been inferred by IGN) even taking the Wii off the market.

These things rarely come to a head, with either the case being dismissed or an out-of-court settlement being agreed. Most of the time it's just greedy opportunists seeing a company making a large profit and wanting a piece of it. But after Sony's ruling on Liksang, where the company was forced to close, you have to wonder...

Story here
Thu 21/12/06 at 19:42
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Dringo wrote:
"Sony get sued for patent claims all the time..."

And with very good reason too!

Have Nintendo taken any action after they blatantly copied the idea of the motion-sensitive Wii-mote and tacked it onto the PS3 pad just in time for it's first launch? :P
Tue 12/12/06 at 21:06
Regular
Nintendo are insured for this kinda thing and it certainly won't lead to the Wii being pulled off the shelves... the worst that could happen is Nintendo being forced to re-design the Wiimote ever so slightly so it differs from the one designed (which was intended for computers and to be used as a mouse)...

Sony get sued for patent claims all the time as do Nintendo and Microsoft... very few are held up.

Also this only applies to America.
Tue 12/12/06 at 00:12
Regular
"8==="
pb wrote:
> This is true. Anyway, it won't get very far in court, these
> things never do...

Actually I believe the one involving Sony's dual shock technology rip-off did go far and cost Sony a large sum of money.
Mon 11/12/06 at 23:19
"possibly impossible"
This is true. Anyway, it won't get very far in court, these things never do...

Good advertising for Nintendo though at an apt time...
Mon 11/12/06 at 22:43
Regular
So when Nintendo made the Zapper light gun, a pointing device with a trigger...
Mon 11/12/06 at 22:37
Regular
Whoever invented guns could also sue wii. XD
Mon 11/12/06 at 21:55
"possibly impossible"
Edgy wrote:
> Unless I'm missing something, didn't the N64 controller have a
> trigger button?
>
> And didn't the Dreamcast have 2?

Yep, but it's about a pointing device with a trigger, not a controller. Hence the fuss...
Mon 11/12/06 at 21:41
Regular
Unless I'm missing something, didn't the N64 controller have a trigger button?

And didn't the Dreamcast have 2?
Mon 11/12/06 at 18:29
"possibly impossible"
I know, but it makes good news ;)
Mon 11/12/06 at 18:13
Regular
Don't worry PB, I've read that story. The controllers are fartoo different to be compared, trust me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.