GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Skype = wireless Network"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/11/05 at 17:57
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Just got Skype, and I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to talk to someone and getting cut off from the internet after about 10 seconds each time. I'd watch the icons in the system tray and it'd show me getting completely disconnected from my wireless network for about 5 seconds, then it'll reconnect me again, and this only ever happens in Skype.

Anyone know why?

My hardware is as follows:
Wireless network card: USR5416
Wireless access point and router: USR8054
Broadband router: BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router

I'm also using McAfee Personal Firewall, which is set to allow it full access to the internet.

EDIT: Just realised I made some typos in the topic title, but oh well. Can't edit them.
Wed 02/11/05 at 16:40
Regular
"Captain to you."
yeah it's not all cordless phones it's some. it comes down to your wireless router, modem and cordless phone type, unforuntatly i own a combination that causes problems.

BT informed me that the 205 voyager sometimes will cut out if certain cordless phones are connected to the same line.
Wed 02/11/05 at 13:04
"High polygon count"
We have three cordless phones in our house - two seperate lines, and so two base stations, with three handsets in total - all Panasonic. They don't seem to interfere with the wireless network.
Wed 02/11/05 at 12:30
Regular
"Captain to you."
Then it's almost definatly your cordless phones, i have the same set up we got rid of all our cordless phones and i don't have the problem anymore.

If you have opened ports on your BT 205 you also need to make sure they are open on the other router too.
Wed 02/11/05 at 12:14
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Chippxero wrote:
> Are you using cordless phones at all in your house? if so turn off the
> main hub and then try using it, cordless phones can sometimes
> interfere with wireless networks.

Yes I am. Four of them plus three wired phones. I might have to try disconnecting the hub of the wireless ones because it won't make much difference - we can still get calls through the normal phones.

> Edit: reading through your post again, you are connecting a wireless
> router to your 205 BT router?

Yes.
Wed 02/11/05 at 01:00
Regular
"Captain to you."
Are you using cordless phones at all in your house? if so turn off the main hub and then try using it, cordless phones can sometimes interfere with wireless networks.

All the cool kids use cables.

Edit: reading through your post again, you are connecting a wireless router to your 205 BT router?
Wed 02/11/05 at 00:57
"High polygon count"
Twain wrote:
> Anyone know why?

Yes.

eBay recently bought them out. It's all downhill from now on.
Tue 01/11/05 at 22:55
Regular
"Catch it!"
My wireless disconnects all the time at my Mums but not at my Dads :S
Tue 01/11/05 at 21:49
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Yeah, it's normally about 60%, but I can't exactly move any closer..
Tue 01/11/05 at 20:58
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
You got anything that allows you to monitor the signal strength of your wireless network when you are using skype?

My wireless network has been disconncting me a bit lately, especially when I'm doing something that's using quite a bit of the bandwidth, seems to improve though if I move to a part of the house with better signal strength.
Tue 01/11/05 at 17:57
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Just got Skype, and I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to talk to someone and getting cut off from the internet after about 10 seconds each time. I'd watch the icons in the system tray and it'd show me getting completely disconnected from my wireless network for about 5 seconds, then it'll reconnect me again, and this only ever happens in Skype.

Anyone know why?

My hardware is as follows:
Wireless network card: USR5416
Wireless access point and router: USR8054
Broadband router: BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router

I'm also using McAfee Personal Firewall, which is set to allow it full access to the internet.

EDIT: Just realised I made some typos in the topic title, but oh well. Can't edit them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.