GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"HMV are really bad"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 31/10/05 at 15:22
Regular
Just went in today.

"Buy one get one free on DVDs" - they had a whole section devoted to this. Sounds pretty good yeah? Well it isn't all as it seems, they've just used crafty marketing techniques to short change the customer.

Luckily I wasn't fooled by this offer, mainly because I was clued up from visiting the store two weeks ago.

Sprited Away - £8.99

Today: -

Spirited Away - £19.99 (BOGOF)

So if you purchased two DVD's two weeks ago (at £8.99 each), you'd have to pay £17.98.

That means todays buyers are giving an extra £2.02 to pay the frankly rubbish employees wages.

Cheeky.
Tue 01/11/05 at 09:34
Regular
"8==="
I find that if you order stuff (that's not in store) through them you can get good prices (5.49 for an album etc) on things they don't usually stock.
Tue 01/11/05 at 09:21
Regular
"8==="
Ourprice used to be like that.

One guy started to ring through 2 things I'd bought as 2 for 10 quid offer until I pointed out that without taking advantage of the offer the two things came to £9 in total outside of using the offer.

No wonder they went semi-bust.
Tue 01/11/05 at 07:25
Regular
Same here. Although I did find 'Box of Blood' for £19.99, which was a pretty good deal (Box set containing 5 Anchor Bay vampire films and a documentary on 'the real Dracula').

They have a 'sale' on at the moment. Their 'biggest ever sale', apparently. So how come the majority of the sale films are priced around £8.99?

And £8.99 for Resident Evil? Hmm...
Tue 01/11/05 at 00:17
"High polygon count"
Del Rogeo wrote:
> Anyone who has a Silver Screen store near where they live will know
> just how horrific their prices are.

Absolultely!

They occasionally have some good offers on older films, but in general they sell at RRP. I was hoping, when our local one opened, to get some box-sets at reasonable prices. No such luck! Some of them were priced higher than RRP. Bizarre.
Mon 31/10/05 at 21:37
Regular
"Catch it!"
I get discount at HMV :D
Mon 31/10/05 at 21:12
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I was in service station - 99p each or 2 for £2
Bah
What a con (not that that 2p would make me much richer)
Mon 31/10/05 at 21:00
Regular
I once picked up a copy of the Red Tape album from HMV for £6.99 (a couple of weeks after it was released). Good stuff.
Mon 31/10/05 at 20:10
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
HMV is like the lottery. Usually they're overpriced, but you can occasionally find amazing bargains.

For example, I got two albums, Ocean Avenue (Yellowcard) and a Hangover You Don't Deserve (Bowling for Soup) for £4.99 each.
Mon 31/10/05 at 19:58
Regular
Anyone who has a Silver Screen store near where they live will know just how horrific their prices are. Think the most over-priced HMV DVD and then imagine a whole store with more-or-less every DVD at that price. Yes, even budget movies still cost £19.99.

And don't even get me started on the TV box sets:

Friends: £39.99 each (RRP. £19.99)
Sopranos: £59.99 each (RRP. £32.99)
Van Damme Box Set: £29.99 (RRP. 25p)
Mon 31/10/05 at 19:29
Regular
HMV are lowering prices lately though.

So not all bad.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.