GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"5.5m Britons opt to live abroad"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/12/06 at 00:21
Regular
[LINK=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6210358.stm]BBC Article[/LINK]

Almost one in 10 British citizens are living overseas, according to a study of people coming in and out of the UK.

Research by the Institute for Public Policy Research, published on the BBC's News website, indicates that at least 5.5m British-born people live abroad.

Figures suggest the rate of departure has been so great that population falls are only masked by immigration.

While Australia and Spain are the top locations, increasing numbers are heading to major Asian economies.

The research by the institute (IPPR) is the first significant attempt to put a figure on the number of British citizens who live overseas.

The study found 5.5 million ex-pat Britons - a number that rises to six million if those who live or work part of the year abroad are included. Taken together, they represent approximately 10% of British citizens. Until now, tentative government estimates of ex-pats had ranged from 4.5 million to 14 million.

Over the course of 40 years, some 67,500 more Britons have left the UK every year than have returned - a population loss that has been balanced out by increasing immigration.

While many of the 5.5m currently abroad may return, the statistics suggest the UK has permanently lost 2.7 million of its own citizens to other countries over 40 years.

The number of British citizens who chose to go permanently abroad doubled from 53,000 in 2001 to 107,000 last year - some 2,000 people a day.

The majority of ex-pats live in Australia, Spain, the US and other English speaking nations. But in all some 41 nations each have at least 10,000 permanent British residents. In total, 112 countries are each home to at least 1,000 British people.

Young and working

According to the IPPR's research, those most likely to leave the UK are young workers without families, along with those seeking to retire.

Dhananjayan Sriskandarajah, co-author of the report, said that the scale and spread of the British ex-pat diaspora was probably being driven by the UK's economic strength.

A strong economy was attracting economic immigrants - but also encouraging Brits to broaden their opportunities.

"Britain is truly at the crossroads of the global movement of people," said Dr Sriskandarajah.

"Two-thirds of Britons who leave do so to seek employment abroad - and are replaced by skilled professionals from elsewhere in the world.

"When the going is good, Brits get going."

More emigration expected

Earlier this year, a BBC survey on emigration attitudes found the number hoping to leave in the near future had doubled since 2003.

Young people were the most likely to want to leave, with a quarter saying they were hoping to live abroad.

Dr Sriskandarajah said the new figures indicated emigration would grow further.

"If current trends continue, we could expect as many as a million more British nationals to emigrate over the next five years," he said.

Lord Triesman, Foreign Office Minister for Consular Affairs, said he welcomed the report.

"Globalisation has increased movement of people both to and from the UK," he said.

"The policy challenges are how to manage these flows effectively in order to respond to the changing needs of the UK. This research will be helpful in understanding how best to address those challenges.

"The report also confirms what we at the FCO know to be true - that a small but significant proportion of British emigrants run into trouble because they have not planned their departure properly.

"Much of what we do is designed to help people avoid such pitfalls, and we will continue to work hard in this area. "

----

An interesting article, didnt you talk about this a bit pb in another thread? I have 2 cousins who now live in Australia, atleast one of them is for good. I'm not suprised people want to more and live abroad, Kawada can't wait to move. pb you want a new life in Spain and me, it looks like I'll be in Asia for awhile but I'll be like Gandalf and move around a lot.
Thu 14/12/06 at 11:41
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Hello Sleepy :)

Our love for Yorkshire keeps us here!
Thu 14/12/06 at 11:13
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Pro Evo!! I miss your football shouts :)

I heard something about this on the radio yesterday but was just drifting in and out of the conversation. I don't want to move, I can't think of one single reason why I'd ever want to move.
Thu 14/12/06 at 08:48
Regular
"360: swfcman"
I have ambitions of one day moving to Canada, but not because i dont like it here though. I rather like living here, don't see too many of the problems the media worships focusing on and life is pretty good. Maybe thats because i live in a small village in the middle of no where not far from the cities in Sarf Yolkshire. I get the best of both worlds.
Wed 13/12/06 at 11:45
Regular
"gsybe you!"
GOD DAMN IMMIGRANTS

hey wait
Tue 12/12/06 at 14:12
Regular
"8==="
That's an awful lot of transexuals.
Mon 11/12/06 at 11:43
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I'm just shocked it's not even higher
Mon 11/12/06 at 10:20
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
When we were in Tenerife last month we looked in a few estate agents windows and a 3 bedroomed apartment with a dining hall, lounge, kitchen and a shared pool was 140,000 Euros (about £100,000) which is very tempting.
Mon 11/12/06 at 00:21
Regular
[LINK=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6210358.stm]BBC Article[/LINK]

Almost one in 10 British citizens are living overseas, according to a study of people coming in and out of the UK.

Research by the Institute for Public Policy Research, published on the BBC's News website, indicates that at least 5.5m British-born people live abroad.

Figures suggest the rate of departure has been so great that population falls are only masked by immigration.

While Australia and Spain are the top locations, increasing numbers are heading to major Asian economies.

The research by the institute (IPPR) is the first significant attempt to put a figure on the number of British citizens who live overseas.

The study found 5.5 million ex-pat Britons - a number that rises to six million if those who live or work part of the year abroad are included. Taken together, they represent approximately 10% of British citizens. Until now, tentative government estimates of ex-pats had ranged from 4.5 million to 14 million.

Over the course of 40 years, some 67,500 more Britons have left the UK every year than have returned - a population loss that has been balanced out by increasing immigration.

While many of the 5.5m currently abroad may return, the statistics suggest the UK has permanently lost 2.7 million of its own citizens to other countries over 40 years.

The number of British citizens who chose to go permanently abroad doubled from 53,000 in 2001 to 107,000 last year - some 2,000 people a day.

The majority of ex-pats live in Australia, Spain, the US and other English speaking nations. But in all some 41 nations each have at least 10,000 permanent British residents. In total, 112 countries are each home to at least 1,000 British people.

Young and working

According to the IPPR's research, those most likely to leave the UK are young workers without families, along with those seeking to retire.

Dhananjayan Sriskandarajah, co-author of the report, said that the scale and spread of the British ex-pat diaspora was probably being driven by the UK's economic strength.

A strong economy was attracting economic immigrants - but also encouraging Brits to broaden their opportunities.

"Britain is truly at the crossroads of the global movement of people," said Dr Sriskandarajah.

"Two-thirds of Britons who leave do so to seek employment abroad - and are replaced by skilled professionals from elsewhere in the world.

"When the going is good, Brits get going."

More emigration expected

Earlier this year, a BBC survey on emigration attitudes found the number hoping to leave in the near future had doubled since 2003.

Young people were the most likely to want to leave, with a quarter saying they were hoping to live abroad.

Dr Sriskandarajah said the new figures indicated emigration would grow further.

"If current trends continue, we could expect as many as a million more British nationals to emigrate over the next five years," he said.

Lord Triesman, Foreign Office Minister for Consular Affairs, said he welcomed the report.

"Globalisation has increased movement of people both to and from the UK," he said.

"The policy challenges are how to manage these flows effectively in order to respond to the changing needs of the UK. This research will be helpful in understanding how best to address those challenges.

"The report also confirms what we at the FCO know to be true - that a small but significant proportion of British emigrants run into trouble because they have not planned their departure properly.

"Much of what we do is designed to help people avoid such pitfalls, and we will continue to work hard in this area. "

----

An interesting article, didnt you talk about this a bit pb in another thread? I have 2 cousins who now live in Australia, atleast one of them is for good. I'm not suprised people want to more and live abroad, Kawada can't wait to move. pb you want a new life in Spain and me, it looks like I'll be in Asia for awhile but I'll be like Gandalf and move around a lot.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.