GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Upgrading XP Home to XP Pro"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/10/05 at 13:16
"possibly impossible"
Can you upgrade XP Home to XP Pro without uninstalling everything? Usually you need to do a clean install, but I'm sure there's some way of doing it using XP Pro Upgrade?

reason being a friend of mine wants all their graphics software still installed on the hard drive (too much to back up) and needs XP Pro to run some new software.

Anyone done this?
Fri 14/10/05 at 16:16
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Out of interest, what bit of software is this that requires XP Pro to run?
Thu 13/10/05 at 17:55
It's not possible, you'll have to burn your current hard drive, crack your Windows XP Home disc, send it to MS to verify nothing suspicious is going on, then verify it online that your PC is actually genuine and not running Linux or something. *Then* you can insert your Win Xp Pro CD and install it.
Thu 13/10/05 at 14:27
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
I have done this and most of the time it works. Just load windows up, insert XP Pro CD, click install and it will give you the option to upgrade. Let it do its stuff and everything should be as it was, however it’s made by Microsoft and so could go wrong and then you would have to start from scratch.
Thu 13/10/05 at 14:25
"possibly impossible"
Did the ol' google, but not much help. Most of the sites just say buy Pro and clean install.
Thu 13/10/05 at 14:03
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Are you sure that the software wont run under home edition?

Have a look around on Google for upgrading XP Home to Pro, there's loads of sites :)
Thu 13/10/05 at 13:16
"possibly impossible"
Can you upgrade XP Home to XP Pro without uninstalling everything? Usually you need to do a clean install, but I'm sure there's some way of doing it using XP Pro Upgrade?

reason being a friend of mine wants all their graphics software still installed on the hard drive (too much to back up) and needs XP Pro to run some new software.

Anyone done this?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.