GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Blatant Amazon Scam..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/10/05 at 13:58
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
*sigh* there are some mean people out there.

Basically, got an email from a potential buyer enquiring about an item I had on Amazon Marketplace recently (doesn't mention the item by name), and a link asking me to check whether the item was still for sale. The link says an official-looking URL with amazon.com in it, but actually goes to a website called "Amazongrace.com", with a proper-looking log-in form.

What someone has done is save the webpage at Amazon.com, changed the form so that it sends to their own page (which sends them your log-in details), and it looks very official. Please, please, please don't fall for this. If the site name isn't amazon.com, or whatever, then it's not real. The Email was from [email protected], here it is in full:

"Hello,

I wanna ask you if you still have this item for sale,sorry for bothering you ,but i think is a error in this link ,send me an reply after you able to sell the product. !
Please let me know soon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ tg/browse/-/468294/202-8935032-5724656

Thank you.

John Terry."

Then they've used a simple javascript trick to launch a different site to the one in the link. I hate these people. It works on any site with a log-in form, so Amazon, Tesco, Hotmail, even poor old SR are at risk, and there's nothing that can be done to stop it because it's so simple to do.

Can someone put that in simple words for Crossbob please, thanks.
Mon 10/10/05 at 21:58
Regular
"Get It?Got It?Good!"
Lol sorry mate but it aint the right one. Thats just a competition badge you have and i think they are fairly cheap to buy. Plus i got her the one she wanted now so i can forget about Blue Peter stupid badges for the rest of my life :)
Mon 10/10/05 at 20:24
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
Cycloon wrote:
> Probably, seeing as you wanted £20 for one....

Yeh, well I would have at least sold him the badge. [EDIT] Offer's still open Wardy. Even cut the price to £17 :)
Mon 10/10/05 at 20:22
Regular
The Wardy wrote:
> Yeah about £13 in the end or something.

Haha :' )
Mon 10/10/05 at 20:22
Regular
øne-eye wrote:
> but their spelling/grammar is "special needs" at best.

I've been told it's a deliberate tactic to make you think they won't be able to take for a ride, because they're crap. It's why all the "I am from African please can you help me i need help i have inheritence" scam emails are so badly written.
Mon 10/10/05 at 20:21
Regular
"Get It?Got It?Good!"
Yeah about £13 in the end or something. The shield one with the ship on it.

Might still win one if they like my story, in which case i could sell that one!
Mon 10/10/05 at 20:19
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Probably, seeing as you wanted £20 for one....
Mon 10/10/05 at 20:17
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
Did you order a Blue Peter badge from ebay, Wardy?
Mon 10/10/05 at 19:51
Regular
"Get It?Got It?Good!"
Hey Everyone, whats the likelyhood that this is an Ebay scam?

"Hi. Thanks for bidding on and winning my auction. I've had to go to Lancashire as my mum has a had a major fall and is in hospital. As a result there will be a delay in despatching the item. I'm sorry about this and the inconvenience caused and I'd obviously much rather this hadn't happened. However, that's life as they say. I'll do my best to despatch within the next week but please accept my sincere apologies in the meantime. Regards. Anne."

I was thinking that the amount of time it took to send that email they could have sent the thing anyways.
Sun 09/10/05 at 03:23
Regular
"...y'crazy fool!"
What makes me laugh is the people that make these scams, they may have a grain of intelligence but their spelling/grammar is "special needs" at best.
Sun 09/10/05 at 00:05
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Maybe John Terry is looking to the future after his football career....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.