GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Finally had enough of windows....."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/09/05 at 11:16
Regular
I've been using my Linux kit on the PS2 and am liking the opn and useful nature of linux so much that I've gone and downoaded the Fedora 64bit linu operating system for my PC.

Anyone got any useful utilities and programs I should be installing on the thing. Virus checkers, firewalls, media players and the like would be welcome :-).
Fri 30/09/05 at 16:04
Regular
It's mainly just so I can play my MP3 library whilst I'm working in linux. Looks like I might just have to sopy it over on a DVD as I can't get the NTFS partition to mount at all.

Oh, and does anyone know how to uninstall software in linus, I've tried using make uninstall after I installed using make install, but it says the Makefile has no directive for uninstall, does that mean I'm just stuck with it unless I manually remove all the files make install created?
Fri 30/09/05 at 13:00
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Bonus wrote:
> I ahve my PC with 2 HDDs dual booting Fedora Core 4 and Windows XP. I
> have a PS2 with a linux kit in it too which I'm using to make a game
> demo and generally learn the architecture for when I finally start my
> job as a programmer.
>
> The main pain in the backside I'm suffering at the moment is getting
> a utility to safely allow me to mount a NTFS partition in Linux. I
> really don't want to have to format my main hard drive to convert it
> to vfat.

The 2.6 kernel supports NTFS. The only problem is that NTFS write support in Linux is ropey as all hell, and you do not want to risk trashing your Windows partitions by writing to them in Linux.
Thu 29/09/05 at 22:54
Regular
I ahve my PC with 2 HDDs dual booting Fedora Core 4 and Windows XP. I have a PS2 with a linux kit in it too which I'm using to make a game demo and generally learn the architecture for when I finally start my job as a programmer.

The main pain in the backside I'm suffering at the moment is getting a utility to safely allow me to mount a NTFS partition in Linux. I really don't want to have to format my main hard drive to convert it to vfat.
Thu 29/09/05 at 22:18
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Twain wrote:
> Well you can run Windows as well, off another partition of the
> hard drive, but somehow I doubt that's possible with a PS2!

Unless I'm very much mistaken he's using a Linux PC to communicate and work with his PS2 at work. Early PS2 tools (and indeed, PS3 tools) were written for Linux. I use the same tools but ported to Windows.

Personally I'm just about to throw in the towel after two years of fumbling with Gentoo trying to get it to behave in a vaguelly usable manner. I poured months of free time into it, never to see a light at the end of the tunnel, so now I'm getting out.
Thu 29/09/05 at 17:58
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Well you can run Windows as well, off another partition of the hard drive, but somehow I doubt that's possible with a PS2!
Thu 29/09/05 at 17:47
Regular
Linux can run games, yes, but to be honest, they run crap.

Especially if you have an ATI card.
Thu 29/09/05 at 16:49
Regular
"Bicycle"
Hmm...

Can Linux run Windows games? Such as Football Manager, Battlefield 2...

And what about CPU intensive programs, such as Photoshop? Can Wine or a similiar emulator handle those?

Linux looks good, I'm just worried that the basics aren't quite there. Yet.
Thu 29/09/05 at 16:08
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
erm, in response to your first query about useful utilities. There is only a handful of potewntially harmless viruses for Linux out there. You're unlikely to get a vrisu, but remember they are still around.

Also, you'll want something like Wine or Crossover so that you can use programs designed for Windows, as a lot of programs are nowadays! ;)

And if you want gaming, Cedega might be a good choice.

Erm, for media player, I reccommend Amarok, seeing as that's the only one I've used.

I'm still experimenting with Linux at the minute. I have used Fedora Core 3 before, but because I found it difficult, I've decided to learn how to use Linux with Suse instead.
Thu 29/09/05 at 13:15
Regular
Ok, here's a new question for anyone who might know.

Are there any issues running i386 software on the 64bit core?
Thu 29/09/05 at 13:12
Regular
I don't need a virus checker? I suppose not using windows does have it's benefits.

It also seems the Fedora core that I've installed has it's own built in firewall, so I'm not going to bither with a new one of those.

All I need to do now is try to get vlc to run and I'll be a happy guy :-).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.