GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Buying A PC"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/09/05 at 21:24
Regular
"hulagadoo"
Hi all, just wondering if you could lend me a hand or two. Seeing as my current pc is beginning to splutter and suck at everything it does I have decided its time to get a new one, problem is I dont really know where to start.

I have up to £1500 to spend and Id rather buy one pre-build although I could probably build one myself if need be. So just looking for recommendations of where to go what to buy ect ect.

I want it for gaming mostly along with some coursework for college and other general tasks. I was considering waiting for SR to bring back its MAXX pcs but its been a while since they were last here and I don;t know if they are still planning on re-introducing them.

Thanks, any help is much appreciated.
Fri 23/09/05 at 18:13
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Unless you prefer PC games and mouse and keyboard and multitasking and
> high screen resolutions etc etc

PC games....most will come out on the 360, the rest you wouldn't exactly need to run at the bleeding edge of technology, which will only last you 6 months anyway as everything will move to WGF and unified shader architectures when Windows Vista comes out next year anyway,

Mouse and keyboard...are a benefit to a few games, the rest you'd just have to put up with the inconvenience of having 2 analogue sticks which is better for games like Pro Evo anyway, so 6 of one half a dozen of the other there.

Multitasking...depends on what you are actually multitasking though doesn't it. The advent of multi-core processors just leads to more threads per application which just creates more bottlenecks anyway and the advantage is lost, so an HT P4 would do the trick if that's what you wanted on your PC. Multi-thread games will run better on the 360 triple core CPU and it wont be switching with other applications.

High resolution...is good for em, well, desktop publishing and the net. For games it makes a difference to per-pixel lighting operations etc, but the 360 can run on high def tvs, which he has enough to afford a decent sized one of those and progressive scan DVD playback too.
Fri 23/09/05 at 18:06
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Unless you prefer PC games and mouse and keyboard and multitasking and high screen resolutions etc etc
Fri 23/09/05 at 15:03
Regular
I'd still buy a 360 for games in December than sepnd that much on a PC.

Considering the performance of the graphics chip is somewhere around the 7800GTX, and it can run shaders more advanced than any graphics chip on the market right now all with a triple core processor, it's be strange not to indulge if you can afford it and buy a cheap PC just to surf the net.

I'm maybe getting old, but I don't see the need for a top of the line PC unless you are looking at game programming for yourself.
Fri 23/09/05 at 11:35
"I love yo... lamp."
gerrid wrote:
> an X2 isn't going to be particularly good for games, seeing as none of
> them are programmed to use dual cores. Also I reckon that when games
> take advantage of dual cores, the current generation of X2s won't be
> top of the range anymore. I suppose it's up to you though.

An X2 will be just as good as an equivalent speed and cache size Athlon 64. Depending on if you run a very clean system or not, you may benefit from the extra core already. Certainly within the next year or so multithreaded games will appear far more often, especially as the Xbox 360 and PS3 need multithreaded games to get anywhere near decent performance.

I would most certainly go for an X2 over something like an FX55. The only people who should buy an FX instead of an X2 are fanatics who are going to slap a Vapochill on it.
Thu 22/09/05 at 13:07
Regular
I've never had a problem with ebuyer.

Quick delivery, always before the day they state.

Always responded within a day and have refunded me fully for faulty products with no problems.

So I guess I'm lucky.
Thu 22/09/05 at 12:47
Regular
"bot"
Tyla wrote:
> Also glad I didn't hold out for the X1800 as
> the benchies place them behind the 7800GTX's and they're way more
> expensive!

There are no real benchies apparently. The ones posted by Sander Sassen (or whatever you call him) are to be taken with a huge pinch of salt.
Wed 21/09/05 at 17:48
Don't buy from ebuyer, unless you're looking for the absolute cheapest. But with that goes the weak customer service, slow delivery and oversized boxes. Reminds me of SR.
Wed 21/09/05 at 17:45
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Also ebuyer are complete tools if something goes wrong. I ordered a wireless router from them 2 weeks ago, and it's been "Goods Allocated" the whole time, even though there were originally 30 odd in stock, and with a promise to "Deliver by Tuesday 20th August". You've gotta wait 20 or so minutes on the phone and they dont respond to emails for 7 days. I really wouldn't reccommend them
Wed 21/09/05 at 17:41
Regular
"bit of a brain"
an X2 isn't going to be particularly good for games, seeing as none of them are programmed to use dual cores. Also I reckon that when games take advantage of dual cores, the current generation of X2s won't be top of the range anymore. I suppose it's up to you though.
Wed 21/09/05 at 17:15
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I'd go for the X2 4400 myself , rather than the FX 55 (in fact, I am...)

Generally speaking, overclockers are fairly good on prices. Ebuyer is generally cheaper (www.ebuyer.co.uk) but simply doesn't have many of the high quality components that overclockers stocks, things like premium grade low latency ram and so on. The sort of things you'll want to buy if you're spending £1600.

Whatever you save trying to shop elsewhere you'lll probably lose on postage since they probably won't have all the components you want (unless of course they offer free postage)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.