GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What a crappy day."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 11/09/05 at 21:36
"High polygon count"
Woken up at about 8:30 this morning by my mum to find that my dad, who's been unwell since Friday with what we thought was an upset stomach/minor food poisoning, is completely flipping out. Vacant stare on his face, shaking like a 105 year old having a seizure, but he's only 64 and generally healthy.

Get him sat down and he starts to recover. But he needs the toilet. Help him up , and he starts getting delirious again. Halfway to the loo, he has a major 'accident', and has completely lost it.

Sod this, I think - I'm calling an ambulance - this is not normal for him, and is obviously far more than an dodgy gut.

Paramedic arrives, checks him over and determines from the colour of his crap that he has internal bleeding. Ambulance is summoned, and all three paramedics spend about 45 minutes stabilising him. Drips, oxygen, the works.

Years ago, before I was born, my dad had a nervous breakdown and has been on medication for nervous anxiety ever since. Recently, he's also been put on medication for depression and high blood pressure.

The bleeding, combined with the tablets to reduce blood pressure, have put his blood pressure through the floor. The reason he loses it when he stands is because not enough blood (and therefore not enough oxygen) are getting to the brain.

Anyway, he goes off to the hospital in the ambulance with mum, my cousin takes me in car.

He's in casualty all day, with various needles, monitors and oxygen while they try to get his pressure back up. When he was stable enough, they moved him to a ward.

Me and mum come home about 4-ish to eat/change/scrub up after the chaos of the morning, and go back to the hospital about 7pm, planning to spend a few hours there as the ward had no restriction on visiting hours. Walk into the ward... no dad. Oh s**t, what's happened?

They've moved him to another ward, but not phoned to tell us. When we finally track him down it's almost 7:30pm, and this ward has visiting restrictions... 2pm til 8pm. So we have to leave him there after just 30 minutes, and can't go back until tomorrow afternoon.

He's nil-by-mouth until tomorrow, as he's got to have cameras inserted both ends tomorrow to find out where the blood is coming from, so at the moment we have no idea what the problem is. He may or may not require surgery, depending on what they find.

All in all, it's been quite a scary day. Both me and mum are exhausted.

Then we get home and get a call from my aunt. Her and my uncle are in Germany for a few days for some sight-seeing. Only thing is, my uncle had some ulcers on his legs, and they ruptured during the flight and are now infected. They've had to fork out £200 for a doctor, and can't leave the hotel because he can't walk. No idea yet how they are going to get home.

It never rains, as they say...

Anyway, I'm off for a shower to get rid of that hospital smell.
Sat 17/09/05 at 17:46
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
Oh the mirth
Sat 17/09/05 at 15:46
Regular
Aka Chewbacca
Sat 17/09/05 at 15:38
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Get well soon, Wookie Sr.
Wed 14/09/05 at 19:47
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
MoJoJoJo wrote:

> (if something was wrong I probably wouldn't be told about it until
> something major happened)

My dad still does this to me as well even though I'm 25. He was unwell for a couple of weeks with stomach pains and then I got a call from him at midnight saying he'd called an ambulance as he was in a bad way.

Turns out his appendix had been leaking for a fortnight before giving up and bursting, luckily he had an emergency op and is ok now.
Wed 14/09/05 at 17:15
Regular
Glad to hear he should be okay now.

Must have been very tough though.
Wed 14/09/05 at 16:33
Regular
"That's right!"
It's scary stuff, seeing family members like that.

My dad's 60 and still in decent health as far as I can tell (if something was wrong I probably wouldn't be told about it until something major happened) but I do worry about him, especially since he's always lugging stuff about in the garden or helping people out with DIY and stuff.
Wed 14/09/05 at 09:09
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Good to hear it's something slightly less serious.

Get well soon Old Wookie.
Tue 13/09/05 at 22:16
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:

> Dad's home now, and everything is okay. He had the endoscopy and it
> turned out to be a large gastric ulcer which had burst and bled into
> the bowel. The doctors seemed surprised that he'd had no pain from
> it prior to it bursting, but he had no symptoms what so ever.

My grandad had these as well in his stomach, he used to cough up blood which was scary and he had no pain as well.

Hope he gets well soon!
Tue 13/09/05 at 22:00
"High polygon count"
Thanks all.

Dad's home now, and everything is okay. He had the endoscopy and it turned out to be a large gastric ulcer which had burst and bled into the bowel. The doctors seemed surprised that he'd had no pain from it prior to it bursting, but he had no symptoms what so ever.

That combined with the medication he takes for his usually high blood pressure explains why the pressure dropped so much and sent him a bit loopy.

He's feeling fine at the moment, but a bit tired. They've given him yet more medication which he needs to take for the next 8 or 9 weeks, then he's got to go for another endoscopy to get it checked out.

Fingers crossed, everything will be okay.

As for my aunt and uncle, they're still stuck in Germany while the travel insurance people try to figure out a way to get them home as they've been told not to fly again. I expect it'll end up being either a helicopter ambulance (low altitude shouldn't be a problem), or a drive back through France and onto the EuroStar.
Mon 12/09/05 at 09:43
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Ditto, hope he gets better soon.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.