GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tax"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/09/05 at 16:23
Regular
"Selected"
Does anybody know of any threshold (or something) you have to reach before being taxed 'properly'. A friend told me that she got taxed as a normal person would for her job (Income Tax, National Insurance) but, because she didn't earn over £4,000 that year (it was a student summer job at the local hospital, like mine) she got the Income Tax back. Now I'm in pretty much in exactly the same position but I've paid the Income Tax and not got anything back, despite only earning £1,000 before quitting because of uni.

What's even stranger, is that the last payslip I got was taxed more than any previous payslip even though I earned consistently during the 6 weeks (£220 a week, taxed £30: £180 net and all that....except this time they decided to tax me £50....) so I'm gonna have to shout at somebody down the phone about that.

But the question is, have I got some money coming my way or not?

Also, if it helps/effects anything, I'm 20.
Tue 13/09/05 at 14:02
Regular
mikelar wrote:
> BR which, after looking it up in a Tax leaflet, means I apparently
> have a second income so that's why I got taxed more in the last week
> of working. But I'm just a student, there is no second income (there
> was barely a first!)

Ah, again a similar situation to me. When filling in some forms before starting a job, I was asked "is this your primary source of income" and stupidly put no because my funding is more than I earn tutoring. The funding though is tax free and doesn't go into that category, so no tax needed to be taken from what I should have put down as my primary income. Perhaps you wrote something similar.
Tue 13/09/05 at 13:44
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
I've had tax rebates twice and they came back a few weeks after I filled out an Inland Revenue form. When I started work full time I was getting tax as I expected I would but one week I got a tax rebate.

If you filled out one of these forms then it'll come back automatically, if not ring them up.
Tue 13/09/05 at 13:24
Regular
"Selected"
Yeah, they have my tax code wrong on my last payslip - it ended with BR which, after looking it up in a Tax leaflet, means I apparently have a second income so that's why I got taxed more in the last week of working. But I'm just a student, there is no second income (there was barely a first!) plus I don't work there anymore so it's not like they can send it in another payslip.

But I phoned a local tax office up anyway, and the guy said I'd have to wait until I get a P45 from work before sending that off along with a P50 before finally getting some money back.......in April 2006.
Tue 13/09/05 at 10:44
Regular
I agree its most likely you'll have to wait until your P60 at year end, but in the past I've had experiences where they have got my tax code wrong and, earning less than the threshold at the time, I phoned up to get the code changed and actually got a full refund with my next payslip.
Sun 11/09/05 at 21:49
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I got about £300 back last year. Spent it in about a week :*(
Sun 11/09/05 at 13:05
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
You can get the tax back you paid at the end of the tax year it relates to if you don't earn over your personal limit. Your personal limit is your tax code with a 0 on the end of it, for example 489L means you can earn £4890 tax free.

You'll have to apply for it though as the tax office (unsurprisingly) won't just refund it to you.
Sat 10/09/05 at 18:04
Regular
mikelar wrote:
> Do you think I'll have to do that even though I don't work there
> anymore?

Ah no, no you don't.

> Also, do I really have to wait until I get a P60 form (which get sent
> out in April, right?!) before I can get this money back?

Yeap, it's frustrating, but thats what they told me to do before claiming. It's just so they can check you've earned less then the threshold.
Sat 10/09/05 at 17:22
Regular
"Excommunicated"
The taxman owes me £100 from Safeway but the stupid staff were so stupid and did nothing to help.
Sat 10/09/05 at 16:45
Regular
"Selected"
gamesfreak wrote:
> Also, tell your work you need to be exempt from tax, they'll fill a
> form in (p40 I think) which excludes you from paying it.

Do you think I'll have to do that even though I don't work there anymore?

Also, do I really have to wait until I get a P60 form (which get sent out in April, right?!) before I can get this money back?

But thanks for the info so far gamesfreak.
Sat 10/09/05 at 16:28
Regular
You don’t pay any tax on the first £4,895 you earn because that’s your Personal Allowance

Ring the inland revenue up.

Also, tell your work you need to be exempt from tax, they'll fill a form in (p40 I think) which excludes you from paying it.

When you get your P60 form next year, send it in to your payroll tax office and they'll fully re-imburse any tax you have paid.

Did that earlier last year and gained about £700.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.