GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do you speak up?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/09/05 at 11:22
Regular
A topic arose on The Wright Stuff this morning about speaking up to people who make bigot/racist/homophobic remarks. I decided to post this here as it's quite an interesting topic which has affected me in the past.

Say if you was in the pub and you over hear someone making racist remarks, do you speak up and say something? Or do you just keep in quiet?

It's quite a hard dilemma seeing as you'd be concerned on the outcome. I remember Goatboy saying he punched someone in a bar for making some joke/remark about 9/11.

I've heard my Grandma say racist things in the past, but I've never said anything against it because of the fact that my parents have been there, making it very awkward to speak up. My friends have said the same about their elders, I guess it's just the way they were brought up compared to us.

So yeah - Speak up or keep quiet?
Thu 08/09/05 at 11:22
Regular
A topic arose on The Wright Stuff this morning about speaking up to people who make bigot/racist/homophobic remarks. I decided to post this here as it's quite an interesting topic which has affected me in the past.

Say if you was in the pub and you over hear someone making racist remarks, do you speak up and say something? Or do you just keep in quiet?

It's quite a hard dilemma seeing as you'd be concerned on the outcome. I remember Goatboy saying he punched someone in a bar for making some joke/remark about 9/11.

I've heard my Grandma say racist things in the past, but I've never said anything against it because of the fact that my parents have been there, making it very awkward to speak up. My friends have said the same about their elders, I guess it's just the way they were brought up compared to us.

So yeah - Speak up or keep quiet?
Thu 08/09/05 at 11:37
Regular
I wouldn't tell a stranger to stop saying something that is racist/homophobic due to me being quite small, and knowing the outcome would be a punch to the face.

I would tell a friend not to say something that is racist, as I know they wouldn't try and kick my ass.
Thu 08/09/05 at 12:49
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
gamesfreak wrote:
> Say if you was in the pub and you over hear someone making racist
> remarks, do you speak up and say something? Or do you just keep in
> quiet?

I did. A bloke was saying how he agreed with the local BNP. I pointed out what an idiot he was. Narrowly avoided a kicking that time....
Thu 08/09/05 at 12:54
Regular
"Excommunicated"
If there was some stranger then I wouldn't get involved unless say they were saying something at somebody in my company.

I am quite vocal though when I hear such remarks. I have lost one or two friends and acquaintances due to them being fuckwits. Especially when my body is soaked with vodka and somebody starts ranting about something they read about in the Daily Mail.

There was also a girl who I was kind of seeing once who kept making racist remarks. After a few I just approached her about the issue and found out she was thick so ignored her. I could have got some as well, damn morals.
Thu 08/09/05 at 13:02
"period drama"
SHEEPY wrote:
> If there was some stranger then I wouldn't get involved unless say
> they were saying something at somebody in my company.

Same here, I think. Being racist or whatever in general would just get a stare and a muttered comment, but doing it to an individual who's present, or someone I know who may not be there, then I'd speak up for sure.

But hopefully who ever it was directed at would speak up for themselves before, and give ol' cockfase a smack.
Thu 08/09/05 at 13:13
Regular
The good thing about living in a democracy is that we have a bredth of opinion and the right to freedom of speech.

The bad thing is that we wont always see eye to eye with bigots, racists and homophobes.

There are good people with idiotic ideas and there are bad people with idiotic ideas. We can't just go around locking people up, talking them down or deporting them because we don't agree with them.

It can cross the line into abuse and that's when the people in charge of the place you are in should be steppin gin to remove people who the deem to be acting in an unsuitable way fior their premises. Thing is, most people couldn't care less if they are making money.
Thu 08/09/05 at 13:14
Regular
gamesfreak wrote:
> I've heard my Grandma say racist things in the past,

Whilst you can't exactly say its forgiveable, racist remarks from people in that generation are just normal really since many people that age were brought up thinking those things and not being told that it was wrong. You'd have thought that equality was common sense, but that's the way things were and its an opinion that has stuck with many.
Thu 08/09/05 at 13:37
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Yeah, my poor deceased Grandmother was as racist as they come, which I luckily only found out after she died (I was too young to comprehend what she said, if anything, in my presence). I mean, really stupidly racist.
Thu 08/09/05 at 13:43
Regular
"Twenty quid."
What FFF said.
Thu 08/09/05 at 14:53
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
But what do you do when an idiot knocks at your door?

Few months back I was sitting at the girlfriend's house, the door knocked, her Dad answered it. Queue a good few minutes of trying to get rid of someone trying to sell us a contract for an electricity supplier, after hinting that he was from BT (later admitting he wasn't), then saying we'd corresponded before (as if putting junk in our letterbox counts). He then started calling us racists because the company was French and we weren't interested - he hadn't even told us that, and he was South African anyway so how we would we ever get that impression, the fool!

Long story short: I hope he has a wife and kids, just so they can leave him because of his stupidity.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.