GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Drink] World Lagers"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/12/06 at 20:36
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
A review of world lagers:

Amstel (Holland)

When I spent my summer holidays in Kavos (Corfu, Greece) from 1999 – 2001 this was the drink of choice. And it tastes crap. A very chemically taste that sits in your mouth until you drink / eat something else. And then it still lingers. To get rid of the aftertaste you have to drink molten lava whilst eating a vindaloo with extra spices to kill all your tastebuds.

That said I drank my way through about 25 bottles of this every night for 2 weeks for 3 years as it only cost 400 drachma (about 80p) per bottle compared to about £3 a pint for imported British beers / lagers.

Definitely an acquired taste and not something I’d drink whilst sober but the fact it loosened me up and surpressed my inhibitions allowing me to get some action for 3 summers running means it has to get a good mark. Not for taste might I add.

7/10

Becks (Germany)

Always drunk out of a bottle with its nice shiny silver label but just another average lager trying and failing to emulate the big boys of the lager world.

Don’t get me wrong if I spot a bottle of Becks in the fridge at a pub first I’ll usually order it but others if spotted first will be chosen ahead of this one.

6/10

Budweiser (USA)

“Whasssssssssaaaaaaaaappppppppp”.

“BUD – WEI – SER”

The lager that spawned the best commercials ever and not bad to boot, just missing out on the top spot. A nice and crispy flavour with it’s “Born On” labels along with a nice gassyness to boot and no nasty aftertaste.

Best served nice and cold with a little built up dew running down the side of the bottle, not the king of beers in my opinion but a definite prince.

9/10

Budweiser Budvar (Czech Republic)

I yearn to go to Prague and savour in the delights of this beer in its home setting. A lovely crisp flavour with a lovely aftertaste, very refreshing and by far the best lager you can drink.

Forget the American Budweiser and have this instead, granted it’s not sold in nearly as many outlets as others which is a shame but if this is on the menu it’s my choice without question.

Interestingly even though this beer dates back to the 13th century when it was first brewed in České Budějovice it cannot be sold as Budweiser in the USA and is sold under the name Czechvar, damn stupid legal arguments.

If this is on sale go for no other lager – this is the KING OF LAGERS!

Castlemein XXXX (Australia)

“Australians wouldn’t give a Castlemein “four ex” for anything else”.

I’d personally give one for a Fosters instead, this is Fosters less attractive brother and although not a bad lager it has a bit of the “chemically” taste some lagers seem to have.

Also this lager produced one of my favourite adverts of all time where the pick up truck crashed in the outback and one of the blokes in it went to get help and some XXXX and returned with the XXXX but forgot to summon help. You’ve got to get you’re priorities right!

7/10

Coors (Canada)

I’ve drunk this in Canada and it tastes like water with very little flavour at all. I’m not a fan of drinking strong tasting lagers but this goes to the other extreme and isn’t a very nice lager at all.

3/10

Fosters (Australia)

I’ve had a few e-mails over the years titled “You know you’re getting old when…..” and one of them that is always on the list is “You switch from drinking lager to bitter because lager is too gassy”.

Now my other half drinks Fosters and if I run out of bitter and start nicking her Fosters (it’s quite a compicated strategic move and when she finds out I’m quaffing her brew I always get the same stern question – “Why don’t you just get off your a**e and walk to Tesco to get some more beer?”) it always seems to be flat to me.

Doesn’t matter if it’s in cans or on draft (if we’re out with my mates and she’s lagging I’ll finish off her drink, no way she’s breaking the golden rule of leaving a drink undrunk) it always seems to have no head or fizz to it.

Aside from that it’s a nice beer doesn’t taste “chemically” like some lagers can and it leaves a nice crisp taste in the mouth. Not my favourite lager but it’s up there with the best.

8/10

Grolsch (Holland)

The best beer bottle ever provides you with this lager. A satisfying pop accompanies the opening but on the downside the price is way too high because of this novelty and you are presented with an average run of the mill lager for your over inflated price.

Like Newcastle Brown Ale it comes in big ½ litre bottles compared to your usual 330ml, I’d recommend one bottle of this to keep the empty as a novelty and then go and find yourself a nice bottle of Stella in the future.

6/10

Heineken (Holland)

Similar to Becks and for me it seems to be the lager choice of alcoholics due to it’s relatively cheap price. An average lager for students.

6/10

Hoegaarden (Belgium)

Ah Hoegaarden you blonde beer you, light in colour and served in oversized glasses that weigh close to half a tonne and can just about be picked up by blokes with average sized hands.

Looks cloudy as well like wine that has been shook up and all the sediment is floating about in it but has a nice tangy taste and is also quite sweet in flavour which means for me a couple of pints is all I can drink in a sitting without feeling a bit sickly.

That aside a very nice lager to be drunk once in a while.

7/10

Kingfisher (India)

Sold in every Indian restaurant in the world and goes nicely with an Indian after a few other beers on a Friday / Saturday night. Makes my teeth chatter every time I drink it as it seems to be made from liquid nitrogen and the only time I drink this is when I’m drunk and at that time all lagers taste nice so I’ll go for an average mar to be safe.

7/10

Kronenbourg 1664 (France)

“A good year for beer, a bad year for ………..”

Good adverts but an average lager in my opinion. Nothing special here just your average run of the mill drink with many competitors. One to have to cross off your list but there are better lagers out there to be drinking.

6/10

Labatts (Canada)

Canadians really should stick to making maple syrup and not lager as this is another poor offering from them. Not as bad as Coors but poor non the less with a bland taste and not much about it.

5/10

Stella Artois (Belgium)
A nice crisp taste that sits in your mouth as a nice aftertaste but waaaaaaay too expensive compared to other lagers.

There’s a rumour flying round that it contains a chemical that makes people aggressive and has obtained a reputation as a “wifebeaters drink”. I very much doubt it’s true as it contains the same chemical that all lagers do and that turn morons into wifebeaters whatever they drink – alcohol.

An excellent lager that comes in joint second place.

9/10

Tiger Beer (Singapore)

I always thought Tiger beer originated in India as it is sold in every Indian restaurant in the world like Kingfisher but no, it’s from Thailand. And it’s basically the same.

7/10
Mon 25/12/06 at 00:32
Regular
Cause we can afford that everyday.

Supermarkets are these then? ones in Belgium?
Sat 23/12/06 at 16:55
Regular
Why do all the posters on this thread think Lagers are blond ?

I recommend you all go on a holiday to Brussels where you will find some of the finest handmade DARK lagers in the World. These are generally made by drying out the hops, storing them for a year or so and then using big quantities in the beer to produce a unique bitterness.

Start with a monastic beer like Chimay [pronounced shimay] and then move on to Leffe dark beer and something like Westmalle Trappist. There are over 50 unique dark lagers available in Belgium and Holland. I reccommend you try them all including the fruit beers like Timmerman's Kriek.

If you want to try a few without going to Belgium or Holland some supermarkets sell one or two brands. Apart from that there is an early morning flight to Brussels from Gatwick every day.
Sat 23/12/06 at 02:03
Regular
Tennents 9/10
Carling Extra Cold 10/10 best beer ive had.

I despise Budweiser, its the worst beer on the market bar Becks.

Brahma beer, new brazilian beer 8/10 really nice.

And Coors light out a bottle is a guaranteed 8.

Kronenberg 9 for me.
Furstenberg, german beer bloody strong but class none the less. 10/10

Stella deserves a 10 too thats a mans drink :D

Castelmain is crap beer 3 for me with that one, really really bad.
Fri 15/12/06 at 19:39
"possibly impossible"
San Miguel (Spain)
Crips, sweet taste, very good with dry meats and leaves a refreshing aftertaste.
7/10

Estrella Damm (Spain)
Stronger tasting than San Miguel, Crisp, clean and dry taste.
9/10
Mon 11/12/06 at 12:00
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I don't ever recall drinking it which is why it isn't in, the only thing I can find for C o r o n a is related to the sun dunno why it's filtered?
Mon 11/12/06 at 11:52
Regular
Borat wrote:
> And no C*r*na featured? :O (Would you believe I had to put the
> stars in because it's in the swear filter??) :S

That's probably why he didnt feature it :) by why on earth would it be censored =S I enjoyed their My Sharona spoof.
Sun 10/12/06 at 20:15
Regular
You didn't give a score for Grolsch, chief ...

Have to disagree with you on Kroney ... I love it ... 8/10 for me, maybe a 9.

And no C*r*na featured? :O (Would you believe I had to put the stars in because it's in the swear filter??) :S

A good rundown though! ... :D
Sat 09/12/06 at 20:36
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
A review of world lagers:

Amstel (Holland)

When I spent my summer holidays in Kavos (Corfu, Greece) from 1999 – 2001 this was the drink of choice. And it tastes crap. A very chemically taste that sits in your mouth until you drink / eat something else. And then it still lingers. To get rid of the aftertaste you have to drink molten lava whilst eating a vindaloo with extra spices to kill all your tastebuds.

That said I drank my way through about 25 bottles of this every night for 2 weeks for 3 years as it only cost 400 drachma (about 80p) per bottle compared to about £3 a pint for imported British beers / lagers.

Definitely an acquired taste and not something I’d drink whilst sober but the fact it loosened me up and surpressed my inhibitions allowing me to get some action for 3 summers running means it has to get a good mark. Not for taste might I add.

7/10

Becks (Germany)

Always drunk out of a bottle with its nice shiny silver label but just another average lager trying and failing to emulate the big boys of the lager world.

Don’t get me wrong if I spot a bottle of Becks in the fridge at a pub first I’ll usually order it but others if spotted first will be chosen ahead of this one.

6/10

Budweiser (USA)

“Whasssssssssaaaaaaaaappppppppp”.

“BUD – WEI – SER”

The lager that spawned the best commercials ever and not bad to boot, just missing out on the top spot. A nice and crispy flavour with it’s “Born On” labels along with a nice gassyness to boot and no nasty aftertaste.

Best served nice and cold with a little built up dew running down the side of the bottle, not the king of beers in my opinion but a definite prince.

9/10

Budweiser Budvar (Czech Republic)

I yearn to go to Prague and savour in the delights of this beer in its home setting. A lovely crisp flavour with a lovely aftertaste, very refreshing and by far the best lager you can drink.

Forget the American Budweiser and have this instead, granted it’s not sold in nearly as many outlets as others which is a shame but if this is on the menu it’s my choice without question.

Interestingly even though this beer dates back to the 13th century when it was first brewed in České Budějovice it cannot be sold as Budweiser in the USA and is sold under the name Czechvar, damn stupid legal arguments.

If this is on sale go for no other lager – this is the KING OF LAGERS!

Castlemein XXXX (Australia)

“Australians wouldn’t give a Castlemein “four ex” for anything else”.

I’d personally give one for a Fosters instead, this is Fosters less attractive brother and although not a bad lager it has a bit of the “chemically” taste some lagers seem to have.

Also this lager produced one of my favourite adverts of all time where the pick up truck crashed in the outback and one of the blokes in it went to get help and some XXXX and returned with the XXXX but forgot to summon help. You’ve got to get you’re priorities right!

7/10

Coors (Canada)

I’ve drunk this in Canada and it tastes like water with very little flavour at all. I’m not a fan of drinking strong tasting lagers but this goes to the other extreme and isn’t a very nice lager at all.

3/10

Fosters (Australia)

I’ve had a few e-mails over the years titled “You know you’re getting old when…..” and one of them that is always on the list is “You switch from drinking lager to bitter because lager is too gassy”.

Now my other half drinks Fosters and if I run out of bitter and start nicking her Fosters (it’s quite a compicated strategic move and when she finds out I’m quaffing her brew I always get the same stern question – “Why don’t you just get off your a**e and walk to Tesco to get some more beer?”) it always seems to be flat to me.

Doesn’t matter if it’s in cans or on draft (if we’re out with my mates and she’s lagging I’ll finish off her drink, no way she’s breaking the golden rule of leaving a drink undrunk) it always seems to have no head or fizz to it.

Aside from that it’s a nice beer doesn’t taste “chemically” like some lagers can and it leaves a nice crisp taste in the mouth. Not my favourite lager but it’s up there with the best.

8/10

Grolsch (Holland)

The best beer bottle ever provides you with this lager. A satisfying pop accompanies the opening but on the downside the price is way too high because of this novelty and you are presented with an average run of the mill lager for your over inflated price.

Like Newcastle Brown Ale it comes in big ½ litre bottles compared to your usual 330ml, I’d recommend one bottle of this to keep the empty as a novelty and then go and find yourself a nice bottle of Stella in the future.

6/10

Heineken (Holland)

Similar to Becks and for me it seems to be the lager choice of alcoholics due to it’s relatively cheap price. An average lager for students.

6/10

Hoegaarden (Belgium)

Ah Hoegaarden you blonde beer you, light in colour and served in oversized glasses that weigh close to half a tonne and can just about be picked up by blokes with average sized hands.

Looks cloudy as well like wine that has been shook up and all the sediment is floating about in it but has a nice tangy taste and is also quite sweet in flavour which means for me a couple of pints is all I can drink in a sitting without feeling a bit sickly.

That aside a very nice lager to be drunk once in a while.

7/10

Kingfisher (India)

Sold in every Indian restaurant in the world and goes nicely with an Indian after a few other beers on a Friday / Saturday night. Makes my teeth chatter every time I drink it as it seems to be made from liquid nitrogen and the only time I drink this is when I’m drunk and at that time all lagers taste nice so I’ll go for an average mar to be safe.

7/10

Kronenbourg 1664 (France)

“A good year for beer, a bad year for ………..”

Good adverts but an average lager in my opinion. Nothing special here just your average run of the mill drink with many competitors. One to have to cross off your list but there are better lagers out there to be drinking.

6/10

Labatts (Canada)

Canadians really should stick to making maple syrup and not lager as this is another poor offering from them. Not as bad as Coors but poor non the less with a bland taste and not much about it.

5/10

Stella Artois (Belgium)
A nice crisp taste that sits in your mouth as a nice aftertaste but waaaaaaay too expensive compared to other lagers.

There’s a rumour flying round that it contains a chemical that makes people aggressive and has obtained a reputation as a “wifebeaters drink”. I very much doubt it’s true as it contains the same chemical that all lagers do and that turn morons into wifebeaters whatever they drink – alcohol.

An excellent lager that comes in joint second place.

9/10

Tiger Beer (Singapore)

I always thought Tiger beer originated in India as it is sold in every Indian restaurant in the world like Kingfisher but no, it’s from Thailand. And it’s basically the same.

7/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.