GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Not what it used to be"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/09/05 at 18:49
Regular
I was just thinking today about gaming in general. It was all sparked off by me going round to a mates house and seeing him playing his Xbox. I thought to myself, when was the last time I really played a game?

When I got San Andreas back in early June I played it and played it for a few weeks but after that I got a little stuck. Normally the allure of the game brings me back to it or when I'm bored I just go on my Xbox. Recently though I really haven't felt the urge to play a game in the same way I used to and even my Xbox has been acting up (its disc tray being very temperamental)

With the onslaught of another generation of consoles just around the corner I'm wondering whether or not I'm actually going to bother buying one. Although I'd play it a lot because of novelty value it'd soon become another dust-gatherer that caused me to fork out a fair amount of cash whenever I see a new game coming along. After all, new consoles have more games and higher prices.

Excluding San Andreas, I can't remember the last time I just sat and gamed in the room whilst the Sun drifted by outside. It shouldn't really make me forlorn that I can't get into a disc with some information on anymore, but, I enjoyed gaming for many years and it's something I devoted some time to. I will still go back and play my Xbox from time to time, but more nostalgically then anything else.

I still subscribe to OXM and read the magazines. Even that's not the same. I used to spend some hours reading the reviews, counting the days until games I wanted were out and putting money aside, I even played the demo discs for hours and entered the competitions. Now I barely ever put the disc on, if I do it's just to watch someone's Driv3r playback or PGR cone score.

Everything is subject to change. The outdoors is appealing, as it always has been, but now the indoor environments just can't hold their own against it even for brief periods of time anymore. I haven't played the discs as much since my old tv with VCR was replaced by a DVD-combi.

So, I'll still talk about games and my opinions and play the ones I already own but the future of my gaming is ... uncertain
Sun 04/09/05 at 18:49
Regular
I was just thinking today about gaming in general. It was all sparked off by me going round to a mates house and seeing him playing his Xbox. I thought to myself, when was the last time I really played a game?

When I got San Andreas back in early June I played it and played it for a few weeks but after that I got a little stuck. Normally the allure of the game brings me back to it or when I'm bored I just go on my Xbox. Recently though I really haven't felt the urge to play a game in the same way I used to and even my Xbox has been acting up (its disc tray being very temperamental)

With the onslaught of another generation of consoles just around the corner I'm wondering whether or not I'm actually going to bother buying one. Although I'd play it a lot because of novelty value it'd soon become another dust-gatherer that caused me to fork out a fair amount of cash whenever I see a new game coming along. After all, new consoles have more games and higher prices.

Excluding San Andreas, I can't remember the last time I just sat and gamed in the room whilst the Sun drifted by outside. It shouldn't really make me forlorn that I can't get into a disc with some information on anymore, but, I enjoyed gaming for many years and it's something I devoted some time to. I will still go back and play my Xbox from time to time, but more nostalgically then anything else.

I still subscribe to OXM and read the magazines. Even that's not the same. I used to spend some hours reading the reviews, counting the days until games I wanted were out and putting money aside, I even played the demo discs for hours and entered the competitions. Now I barely ever put the disc on, if I do it's just to watch someone's Driv3r playback or PGR cone score.

Everything is subject to change. The outdoors is appealing, as it always has been, but now the indoor environments just can't hold their own against it even for brief periods of time anymore. I haven't played the discs as much since my old tv with VCR was replaced by a DVD-combi.

So, I'll still talk about games and my opinions and play the ones I already own but the future of my gaming is ... uncertain
Sun 04/09/05 at 18:52
Regular
Maybe try buying some games which aren't just mainstream and popular.

I'll put money on you having never played Disgaea, Lumines, Beyond Good and Evil, Ico, Crimson Skies, Otogi and on and on.
Sun 04/09/05 at 18:55
Regular
"It's so,so cold"
Lumines is such a quality game.It's a must buy for anyone who with a PSP.
Sun 04/09/05 at 18:56
Regular
Before about a week ago, I hadn't played a game for about 7 months.

Reasons?

A) Too poor to afford games.
B) Console games getting expensive
C) Needing money for other things

I picked up GTA Vice City the other day for the PC and I've just completed that. Possibly the easiest game I've ever played to be honest, completed the story missions with a week.

Getting Battlefield 2 soon (well I had it, but some mongoloid from GAME stole my damn CD key) so I've got to sort that out.

You have breaks from gaming all the time, but you go back.

It's in the blood.
Sun 04/09/05 at 19:00
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
gamesfreak wrote:
> It's in the blood.

Very true. I was starting to drift away from the area, until World Of Warcraft lured me back into it.

I've had a crap afternoon with it to be honest. Some fun in battlegrounds with goaty, but other than that, travelling / getting flight paths / killed numerous times. Incredibly frustrating and boring.

Still, tomorrow is a new day.
Sun 04/09/05 at 19:00
Regular
Bonus wrote:
> Maybe try buying some games which aren't just mainstream and popular.
>
> I'll put money on you having never played Disgaea, Lumines, Beyond
> Good and Evil, Ico, Crimson Skies, Otogi and on and on.

I own Beyond Good and Evil

I've also added Kung Fu Chaos, Shenmue 2, Oddworld and Grabbed by the Ghoulies to my collection.

I prefer non-mainstream games to the over-hyped ones, but gaming itself just isn't what I used to appreciate.
Sun 04/09/05 at 19:46
Regular
"The definitive tag"
I think this is just something that happens at the end of every console generation. The market is starting to dry up a bit and there are a lot less releases to get excited about.

There isn't really anything to look forward to for me. I couldn't care less about another bloody Pro Evo or another Tony Hawks. We've got no GTA to look forward to, fair enough, we didn't have one in 2003 either but we knew there would be at least one more to come this generation. Don't start going on about Liberty City stories either, I'm not talking handhelds here.

The only game left for release this generation is The Twilight Princess. The rest of it is all a bit "meh".

My point is that the lack of a decent number of top end games scheduled for release that we've been used to in the past is what is causing people to lose interest a bit.

I think interests will pick up a lot when the 360 makes it's grand entrance in a couple of months, and interest will continue on the up as Sony and Nintendo release their respective machines. The premiss of being able to play games that will look, and most probably play better than anything we've ever seen on a console before should be enough to relight the gaming fire in those who have lost it.
Sun 04/09/05 at 20:01
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Pandaemonium wrote:
> gamesfreak wrote:
> It's in the blood.
>
> Very true. I was starting to drift away from the area, until World Of
> Warcraft lured me back into it.
>
> I've had a crap afternoon with it to be honest. Some fun in
> battlegrounds with goaty, but other than that, travelling / getting
> flight paths / killed numerous times. Incredibly frustrating and
> boring.
>
> Still, tomorrow is a new day.

Same here, games were boring me, I'd just completed Wind Waker for the 2nd time and had nothing to do. Despite having 20 games for my Gamecube nothing interested me anymore.

I was gonna buy half life, but I got Warcraft instead. I've never played a game so much, best game ever? Most probably yes.
Sun 04/09/05 at 20:09
Regular
That, phi11ip, is the same problem I seem to experience with any console I have ever owned, games quickly become repetitive and depsite having upwards of 30 (on the Xbox alone) I've only ever completed a handful.

Maybe the new generation of consoles is the spark I've been looking for, as Chr1s said, but I'm normally wildly excited about the new generation; I was for the release of the N64 and Xbox.
Sun 04/09/05 at 20:12
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Don't buy a console, buy Warcraft. It will be the only game you play.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.