GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Backing up DVDs...?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/09/05 at 23:02
Regular
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could help me find appropriate software which would allow me to backup some of my DVDs on CD-Rs.
It would be great if the app was freeware.
I asked this question before and someone gave me the links to a site with the software but I lost the links. :(

If anyone could help me that would be great.

Thanks,
James
Sat 03/09/05 at 18:06
"High polygon count"
You don't need to compress it at all.

Most 90-minute movies will fit on a 4.7Gb disc with no compression, if you copy the movie only. Those that do need compression only require a small amount, and the difference is usually unnoticeable.

With the DL discs, you can back up the lot - movies, extras and menus - on a 1:1 basis.
Sat 03/09/05 at 12:33
Regular
"NULL"
You'll still need to compress it slightly. I don't think even Dual Layer disks have exactly the same capacity as commerical DVDs
Sat 03/09/05 at 12:13
"High polygon count"
Why not just get a DVD writer?

You can get the latest Pioneer drive for under £35 now.
Sat 03/09/05 at 11:57
Regular
Yea, thats what I was planning to do, I just need to buy some CD's.

:D

Thanks alot.

James
Sat 03/09/05 at 11:51
Regular
"NULL"
GordianKnot - also try AutoGK (Auto-GordianKnot).

Alternatively, you can use DVD Shrink in conjunction with DVD Decrypter, but I don't think you'll get it down to CD size.

Consider using 2CDs rather than 1 per film, as the quality difference is quite significant.
Sat 03/09/05 at 11:41
Regular
Film DVD's.

The program someone linked to me before was some sort of compressor. It would compress the DVD and allow me to put it on a CD-R.
Sat 03/09/05 at 09:10
Regular
"NULL"
Are you talking about film DVDs or software DVDs?
Fri 02/09/05 at 23:02
Regular
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could help me find appropriate software which would allow me to backup some of my DVDs on CD-Rs.
It would be great if the app was freeware.
I asked this question before and someone gave me the links to a site with the software but I lost the links. :(

If anyone could help me that would be great.

Thanks,
James

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.