GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How important is music to games?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/06/01 at 22:44
Regular
When games came out on the 8-bit computers and consoles, the sound was a basic 'plinkety-plonk' noise that went together to make a basic tune. This played on the title page and later on in games creation it also played throughout the game too.

By the time of the 16-bit consoles, the sound chips had made it possible for some sampled instruments to be incorporated into the tunes, meaning that the background tunes sounded less like a five-year-old playing a xylophone and more like 80's synthpop. This enhanced the atmosphere of a game, from the fast beats of action games and the electronic sax and snare drums of beat-em-ups to the dark foreboding music, background screams and ominous effects of dungeon based games.

Nowadays consoles use CDs or digital effects that can easily replicate or play real world music, allowing games designers to use such acts as Offspring and Rob Zombie to enhance the game’s mood or make it more realistic. But some games don’t need this, notably some N64 games, that don’t come on a CD incidentally, have lighter music that harks back to the old days of gaming and handhelds like the Gameboy have limited sound chips that mean the sounds of the past are still part of gaming today. So what for the future? Consoles will increasingly use bands and even the handhelds will be able to replicate this, the Gameboy Advance has shown the shape of things to come from the into to Castlevania (although this is only a small sample so far), but do we need it?

Does music really affect the atmosphere of a game? Would the experience be the same with a different type of music altogether, or with something less advanced? It’s funny that as mainstream music seems to be picking up and using old games music from the 80’s in their dance tunes, the games themselves are trying to be more ‘civilized’ and realistic as they capture the real world environments in their locations.
Tue 05/06/01 at 22:44
"possibly impossible"
When games came out on the 8-bit computers and consoles, the sound was a basic 'plinkety-plonk' noise that went together to make a basic tune. This played on the title page and later on in games creation it also played throughout the game too.

By the time of the 16-bit consoles, the sound chips had made it possible for some sampled instruments to be incorporated into the tunes, meaning that the background tunes sounded less like a five-year-old playing a xylophone and more like 80's synthpop. This enhanced the atmosphere of a game, from the fast beats of action games and the electronic sax and snare drums of beat-em-ups to the dark foreboding music, background screams and ominous effects of dungeon based games.

Nowadays consoles use CDs or digital effects that can easily replicate or play real world music, allowing games designers to use such acts as Offspring and Rob Zombie to enhance the game’s mood or make it more realistic. But some games don’t need this, notably some N64 games, that don’t come on a CD incidentally, have lighter music that harks back to the old days of gaming and handhelds like the Gameboy have limited sound chips that mean the sounds of the past are still part of gaming today. So what for the future? Consoles will increasingly use bands and even the handhelds will be able to replicate this, the Gameboy Advance has shown the shape of things to come from the into to Castlevania (although this is only a small sample so far), but do we need it?

Does music really affect the atmosphere of a game? Would the experience be the same with a different type of music altogether, or with something less advanced? It’s funny that as mainstream music seems to be picking up and using old games music from the 80’s in their dance tunes, the games themselves are trying to be more ‘civilized’ and realistic as they capture the real world environments in their locations.
Tue 05/06/01 at 22:50
Choose Crazy Taxi 2.
Tue 05/06/01 at 22:52
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I enjoy music in games but only if it is not cheesy and does not interfere with your playing of the game.
Tue 05/06/01 at 23:06
Regular
The music in some games makes the atmosphere more advanced, the same as it does in the films. A classic exampe would be Jaws, would the film have become such a hit if the music wasn't there, you'll have to decide that for yourself.

The most recent example I would be able to pinpoint in games is Shadow of Memories on the PS2. The music highlihgts the obvious, but if t wasn't there, if you have the radio on and mute the sound for instance, you do miss the outstanding atmosphere which is depicted by the music. Music also helps us to understand the way in which characters are feeling in their current situation, the best example of this would have to be Aeris' death scene in final fantasy VII. Would it really have had such a deep impact without the sound??

All of these are basically about atmosphere, but a good soundtrack could also be there to give your ears something to do, i.e. the soundtrack in the GT games.

Music will come of age with advancements in technology and the adoption of these into the homes. The possibilites of Dolby Digital games immersing the user in the game and having sounds and music moving around the user is quite an experience, Turok 2 on the N64 was especcially good for this, even on my parents Dolby Pro-logic set-up. With the lights off playing a good immersive game such as this, the music can really get the heart racing and can truely turn an average game into a nerve-racking experience.
Tue 05/06/01 at 23:37
Regular
"everyone says it"
I remember when games were rated out of twenty in five different topics, one of the topics was 'sound/music', and although back then I thought music wasn't that important in a game, I realise how important it is now.

Music is the essential ingrediants to any good game, it adds the feel and levels the balance for the gamer, depending on the situation the gamer is in the music varies and this gives a great atmosphere to the game. I don't suppose many classic games have had bad music in them, I reckon eighty percent of gamers actually know the Mario Bros first level theme turn off by heart, and this isn't because they have played the level over and over again, but is simply because its just so catchy and makes you wanna play the game.

In any game depending on the scenery the music will change, whether you are in a field, or running from a crazy axe-maniac the music just adds the experience of the game.

Horror films are a classic example of music use to add to the experience and horror of the film, next time you are watching a scary part, press the mute button and it scare factor just dies down. In the future I believe this same process will be transferred into the games of the future, I feel that depending on the life and situation of the character within a game the music will speed up or slow down, change beat or even tune.

Game that I have personally enjoyed the music from are Killer Instinct on the Super Nintendo, the games music was compelling, it went so well with the scenery and arena that it helped you fight and gave the game a better flow, an example would be Glacier's level which had chilling ice cold music.

Music and sound is important for most entertainment in our world, gaming is probably one that has used it to benefit it in the past, and I can see a great lot of improvements and tests in the future...

Thanks
er-no
Wed 06/06/01 at 10:18
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I think Resident Evil demonstrates the importance of music in games. Not only were the sounds important to deduce whether or not a zombie was up ahead, but it was also important as the macabre music was so chilling, it kept you on the edge of your seat !£$%^&* your pants (well i certainly was). Even in other games in its genre, like this zombie game for the atari that i played, i can't remember what it was called now, the music still played an integral part in the gameplay, the music was very creepy, and if the zombies touched your character, your head blew off...ah those were the days.
Wed 06/06/01 at 11:04
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
DO not underestimate nmusic on old 8-bit consoles! Believe it or not, Zombie Nation is based on an old computer games effect that has been sampled etc.

But music has definately been neglected... I think developers are begining to see that the way music is used in films can be converted into use for games. A good example is in resident evil when you hear screams and eerie music in the background. Then a zobie runs out with a clash of drums... if you were totally imersed in the games, this could make you jump!

Sonic
Wed 06/06/01 at 11:13
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
The music can be an integral part of a game. Take a scary game for instance. The music combined with whatever is out to scare you can make you jump of the seat. It can be that powerful. And in other respects you can end up humming some tunes for days afterwards.
Wed 06/06/01 at 11:53
Regular
"Back For Good"
I think music is a very important sometimes essential in games,Take Wipeout for instance where would that be if all you heard was the sound,It would still be good but the music sets the theme.
Resident evil has an amazing soundtrack, but without this the game would probably make you laugh with all the eeeeerrrrrr aaaaaa of the zombies but mixed with the tension building music that the RE games have the game is brilliant.

Super Mario Bros on the NES may have a simple music score but this jolly old tune i think everyone who has played the game will never forget.

The playstation was a huge breakthrough with games on CD because this is the easiest possible way of Digital music in a game and just look at the results.
Wed 06/06/01 at 17:43
Regular
"gsybe you!"
i played games without music, and it really lost a lot. If I hate the music, I put on one of my CDs.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.