GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games just aren't original these days, In my days........."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/06/01 at 21:38
Regular
OK! Why! aren't games original now. All the good ideas for games are used up now except for some new way in playing every now and then.

I mean how many people have covered different types of Tetris of even different versions of Space Invaders.

Also the game types like adventures, platformers or RPG's. Games can take a break from the Norm so why don't they try new things like The Jungle Book Grove Party. (I know it wasn't very good). But it is alright to try new ideas................
Isn't it?
Tue 05/06/01 at 21:38
Regular
""
OK! Why! aren't games original now. All the good ideas for games are used up now except for some new way in playing every now and then.

I mean how many people have covered different types of Tetris of even different versions of Space Invaders.

Also the game types like adventures, platformers or RPG's. Games can take a break from the Norm so why don't they try new things like The Jungle Book Grove Party. (I know it wasn't very good). But it is alright to try new ideas................
Isn't it?
Tue 05/06/01 at 21:46
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Shenmue
Jet Set Radio
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Banjo-Tooie
Jet Force Gemini
Paper Mario

They're original...!

What more do you want?

Gaming now is very good and in my opinion the strongest it's ever been, with the biggest name in computing joining the dance it should be great at the start of next year when things start to heat up...

What people need to remember is that it is June already.... only 4 months until the Gamecube comes out, and anyone who thinks it was January yesterday will tell you how fast time goes!

Gaming is good and I can't wait for the new titles.... look at PIKMIN, there's originality for you... okay so some games aren't original, but Nintendo seem to be doing a might fine job! DKR, PIKMIN, Luigi's Mansion, Smash Bros...

Trust me, you'll get your originality, but to pass some not-so-original games by is lunacy and you can't afford to pass by MGS, Mario 64, Sonic Adv. 2 and Crazy Taxi!

Game
Tue 05/06/01 at 21:49
There are still a lot of original ideas that can still be explored, and there are still original games out there, and with companies like Sega and Nintendo making them, gaming is getting better than ever.
Tue 05/06/01 at 21:49
Regular
""
Point taken! Dam I thought I had a good one!
Tue 05/06/01 at 21:54
One game you see come up alot now that you would recognise is C&C. The amount of games that look so much like Command & Conquer these days is tremendous. Earth 2050 (or whatever its called) is one, and there is hundreds more.
Tue 05/06/01 at 23:47
Regular
"everyone says it"
An original game, take me twenty years back in time and I can think of thousands, at this present time I don't think there are much genres left to bite at, infact companies have become desperate enough to make a simulater about driving trains....

...its not easy at this time to think of an original game, infact few have squeezed through the pipeline since Mario 64, there just aren't that many genres left for people to explore with, mabye the most orignal game of the last four years has actually been the Pokemon games, and nothing has been since then, even horse riding has been tried in a game...

The problem is that every company knows that with the right promotion and simple 'popular' genre, it will always make a profit, so not many companies are going to take the risk of investing thousands of pounds into something that might not even get off the ground, its the continual process of going with the flow, and only selling things that have been known to sell to the public.

For the time being, there really isn't much hope for a truelly original game, we will probably start to see some in about twelve months time in this country, and I'm not looking to any console here, just being that all consoles will be fighting and there will probably be a game that stands out from the crowd, and sells to every gamer in the world.....

An original game?, ouch thats hard.
Wed 06/06/01 at 11:50
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I totally agree with this topic. Developers are afraid to try untested game ideas, and woudl rather make remakes, or games in a genre that is popular. There are so few exceptions to the (Jet set being one of the most unique)... but even these are either:
a) unpopular and donm't sell- like Jet set in Japan
b) copied, rather than enhanced upon. How many games are now in development that steal Jet sets graphical style?

It's interesting to note that Jet Set's fundamental idea is that of street skating... not too disimilar from Tony hawks. However, the game wasn't just Tony Hawks on skates... instead it had a major overhall and ended up a great games.

Sonic
Wed 06/06/01 at 12:14
Regular
Games become more original with advances in technology. Just think would Resident Evil have been possible on a SNES, not really, but on a Playstation it was genius. The problem most people are suffering that there is not that big an advancement between the last generation of consoles and the new generation, all they can do is make the same 3D graphics look a little better and play a little faster, but there will not be a jump in gameplay in terms of going from 2D graphics to a 3D environment.

There is one thing that I think people are missing these days though. What is originaltiy, is it a different story to back up the game, or is it to have every new game define a new genre? If it is the latter I think that you will find that in the last 10 years there has only been roughly one new genre of game defined, the Panic Attack (Resi) type. Every other game is either a platformer, a driving sim, a flight sim, RTS, FPS, RPG or Adventure. So what do you want in terms of originality???

I only have one problem with sequels, the should not be made if they are not an improvement on the original game in some way. I think that the Tomb Raider series is excellent, because every game is different, the levels are designed intuitively and the stories are involving. With Final Fantasy you have a completely different story every time.

The company which I feel have shown the least inginuity and originality in their games are Nintendo. Every Zelda has followed the same basic path and Mario always is a platformer, although the N64 version was quite good,, it will obviously be copied to death by all of the next gen versions.

But does this make them bad games??? I think not!!
Wed 06/06/01 at 12:18
If I was to try and think of an original idea for a game right now, then I probably couldn't.
But, companies like Sega always have the ability to come up with original ideas. I mean, they come with likes of Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio, and they turned out to be brilliant. And if they were able to come out with a crazy idea such as Crazy Taxi and then make it a success, I am pretty sure they can do again. And I am sure there are several other companies out there with original ideas yet to be explored.
Wed 06/06/01 at 12:23
Regular
What is so original about Crazi Taxi?? I see taxis going about all of the time, I don't see zombies killing people every day though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.