GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The artist and the Song"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/06/01 at 20:51
Regular
How many of you don't buy an album just because you don't like something about the artist?

No, I don't mean their voice, I mean something about them personally. Let me explain...

I was rather shocked that someone I know told me that they weren't going to buy any more REM records because they heard about Michael Stipe being gay. Now that really surprised be, partly because I didn't realise this person was thought this way, and also because I couldn't believe that anyone could make a choice about a band that they liked the music of just because of a personal element of the artist.

The same thing happened in the 80's with Freddie Mercury, when I remember some somewhat younger friends laughing at anyone that liked queen (and no, not because of the synth-rock sound of the band either) But it seems to be easy to do, as soon as Michael Jackson went a bit 'gaga' about his health and decided to live in an oxygen tent, his album sales went dead and the airplay, which he got a lot of at the time, stopped. Now, I know a lot of people won't admit to liking Michael's music anyway (he certainly isn't cool to be liked anymore, but that just emphasises my point) but he did have a lot of hits and got a lot of awards for his music.

So the question really is, do we buy and listen to the music we like, or do we make our choices because of the artists and their personal lifestyles? I think we should just be brave enough to listen to what we like and not shirk away from it just because we are too 'proud' to listen to something that isn't cool.
Tue 05/06/01 at 20:51
"possibly impossible"
How many of you don't buy an album just because you don't like something about the artist?

No, I don't mean their voice, I mean something about them personally. Let me explain...

I was rather shocked that someone I know told me that they weren't going to buy any more REM records because they heard about Michael Stipe being gay. Now that really surprised be, partly because I didn't realise this person was thought this way, and also because I couldn't believe that anyone could make a choice about a band that they liked the music of just because of a personal element of the artist.

The same thing happened in the 80's with Freddie Mercury, when I remember some somewhat younger friends laughing at anyone that liked queen (and no, not because of the synth-rock sound of the band either) But it seems to be easy to do, as soon as Michael Jackson went a bit 'gaga' about his health and decided to live in an oxygen tent, his album sales went dead and the airplay, which he got a lot of at the time, stopped. Now, I know a lot of people won't admit to liking Michael's music anyway (he certainly isn't cool to be liked anymore, but that just emphasises my point) but he did have a lot of hits and got a lot of awards for his music.

So the question really is, do we buy and listen to the music we like, or do we make our choices because of the artists and their personal lifestyles? I think we should just be brave enough to listen to what we like and not shirk away from it just because we are too 'proud' to listen to something that isn't cool.
Tue 05/06/01 at 22:55
I certainly wouldn't stop buying a band's records because they weren't cool or one of them was gay, but I do think that a band's image has a big impact.

I personally avoid media products (films, books, magazines, music, etc) that are released by major international conglomerates because I feel that they put profits over people. I won't say I never buy products from these companies but if a band is signed to Warner or Universal, for example, I will be turned off them.

Radiohead is a band whose music I quite enjoy but I haven't bought any of their albums because I feel they are hypocrites. Thom Yorke says he is anti global capitalism but at the same time he is signed to a major record label and their new album has had a huge television and magazine advertising campaign.

I think image affects everyone. We all have our opinions of what kind of band is genuine and which are only in it for the money and the glory. For example: Think of your favourite song ever. If it had been sung by N'Sync, Geri Halliwell or Hear'Say, would you still have bought it? I don't think I would have.
Tue 05/06/01 at 23:45
"possibly impossible"
Blackhole wrote:

>I think image affects everyone. We all have our opinions of what kind
> of band is genuine and which are only in it for the money and the
> glory. For example: Think of your favourite song ever. If it had
> been sung by N'Sync, Geri Halliwell or Hear'Say, would you still
> have bought it? I don't think I would have.

yes, good points, but if another group sang the song it may well have sounded different (although I've just heard the new version of Better the Devil You Know and it sounds just like the Stock Aitken and Waterman version sang by Kylie - scary!)
Wed 06/06/01 at 00:25
I personally don't care for REM anyway but if i did like them, the fact that Michael Stipe is gay would have no effect whatsoever. Does your friend realise that he presumably wasn't just gay for this new album? :o) He's presumably always been gay, how is it ok to own the other albums just cos your friend didn't know about his sexuality at the time? What's even weirder is how someone's sexuality would make any difference to anyone anywhere except the person concerned. Thats one of those things like racism that just leaves me completely stumped. In what possible way does it matter? Who f****** cares??? Let people be who they need to be, get on with your own bloody lives and shut the f*** up! I know you've probably been through all that in your own head, but it really does p*** me off to the point where i gotta rant about it. ...'night.
Wed 06/06/01 at 08:59
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Michael Stipe is gay. Yeah? And?

George Michael is gay? His music still sucks. Gays can make rubbish music just as well as straights, which I think is the only factor that matters.

Do what you want to who you want, just dont make crap records.
Wed 06/06/01 at 10:39
"possibly impossible"
First of all, he wasn't my friend, just someone I know - I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who had those kind of views.

Secondly, this was just a real-world example of one factor in an artist's personality, I wasn't just talking about singers who are gay, although it shocked me that anyone could make a decision on the music based on this.

The fact is that there ARE people out there that think like this and it really is annoying to think that they make these kind of decisions in what they think is a rational and logical manner.
Wed 06/06/01 at 11:18
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I don't listen for groups or individual songs. I watch the music that comes up on the TV and then if I like it, I download it of the internet.
Wed 21/10/09 at 15:49
Regular
We now have a members only section on the club website.
It contains information, balance sheets, minutes from meeting, leaflets on fish disease etc. There is also online magazines already linked up for you.
If you would like to access these pages, please email your details and membership number, and we will email you the details of how to access these pages.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.