GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The real future of gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/06/01 at 20:26
Regular
Games will develop beyond our wildest imaginations, the creation of advanced AI will make it impossible to distinguish between human and computer players. You will no longer merely sit in your house bashing away at a controller....YOU will be the controller. You will occupy a station with sensors and monitors, and you will become inside the game, games such as unreal tournament will become a reality, with vast tournaments spanning the globe and advanced projection, projects the game directly into your brain giving ultimate realism as your movements in the station will control the movements of yourself inside the game. This will generate a new way in which games are made, thus more original games will be formed. The pain of every punch, kick and shot can be felt in viscious reality using electrical impulses and your character can be immobilised if hit in the leg for example. There will be a global advance in technology, however this will lead to gamers so rapped up in their virtual enviroment, they will become an underclass of hermits who choose their life in the games over reality....Shunned by society.
Welcome to your future....
Tue 05/06/01 at 20:26
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Games will develop beyond our wildest imaginations, the creation of advanced AI will make it impossible to distinguish between human and computer players. You will no longer merely sit in your house bashing away at a controller....YOU will be the controller. You will occupy a station with sensors and monitors, and you will become inside the game, games such as unreal tournament will become a reality, with vast tournaments spanning the globe and advanced projection, projects the game directly into your brain giving ultimate realism as your movements in the station will control the movements of yourself inside the game. This will generate a new way in which games are made, thus more original games will be formed. The pain of every punch, kick and shot can be felt in viscious reality using electrical impulses and your character can be immobilised if hit in the leg for example. There will be a global advance in technology, however this will lead to gamers so rapped up in their virtual enviroment, they will become an underclass of hermits who choose their life in the games over reality....Shunned by society.
Welcome to your future....
Tue 05/06/01 at 20:31
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Nice.....

I'll stick with Mario though.....

Nothing beats sitting in a nice big lounge, with a pint of Coke... or beer, with the lounge doors open... (the ones to outside) with the sun shining, in the middle of the summer holidays, playing Mario 64... It is the best, no matter how stressed you are, Mario saves the say!

Yeah...

Game
Tue 05/06/01 at 20:34
Regular
"CYA GUYS"
Mario..sun...coke....all sounds good. If I had an N64 I would try it.
Tue 05/06/01 at 20:42
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
The Game wrote:
> Nice.....

I'll stick with Mario though.....

Nothing beats
> sitting in a nice big lounge, with a pint of Coke... or beer, with
> the lounge doors open... (the ones to outside) with the sun shining,
> in the middle of the summer holidays, playing Mario 64... It is the
> best, no matter how stressed you are, Mario saves the
> say!

Yeah...

Game

Dosnt it get a little boring?
Tue 05/06/01 at 20:45
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yes, you're right. Games are better than reality. Because they're fun.

But with the dawn of Matrix stylee UIs, gaming would become less fun. For example, fighting games would become based on the physical strength of muscles, but what if you are less muscularly advanced? I like games because they neglect my physical body (which is pretty poor!) and takes me to a world where my fingers do the talking.

I believe that even if this technology became commercially viable, I personally wouldn't go for it as I prefer the comfort aof the joypad and the feeling of security.

Food for thought: Read "Shadow of the Minotaur" by Alan Gibbons ISBN: 1858817218
Tue 05/06/01 at 20:48
Regular
also in games you die....but still be happy.
Tue 05/06/01 at 20:51
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
cookie monster wrote:

Doesnt it get a little boring?

Nope, not in the slightest, I could play Mario 64 all day every day..... He is soooo funny and the game is very entertaining! Plus there is so much to do, just watching him sleep makes me laugh.... mind you, most things make me laugh!

Game
Tue 05/06/01 at 20:51
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Yes but reality can be fun, and do you not think that the reason that your physical strength is poor because of videogames occupying your life and perhaps making you less likly to exercise? oh and i will try and find that book down at the local library.
Tue 05/06/01 at 20:53
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
The Game wrote:
> cookie monster wrote:

Doesnt it get a little
> boring?

Nope, not in the slightest, I
> could play Mario 64 all day every day..... He is soooo funny and the
> game is very entertaining! Plus there is so much to do, just
> watching him sleep makes me laugh.... mind you, most things make me
> laugh!

Game

But i have mario 64 as well, and honestly and don't play it any more because it bores me, there is only so many coins you can collect before you want to throw a hammer at the screen.
Tue 05/06/01 at 21:01
The future may end up being exactly like you described it in your post Cookie Monster. But, if this is going to happen, it is going to be a long way off. And there is one main reason for this.

The big companies that are producing consoles, keep on expanding the consoles and making each one better than the previous one. Now then, if these companies jumped straight into producing consoles that gave us what was described in the original post, than these companies would be losing out on loads of money.
If, on the other hand, these companies only gradually progressed, with each console gradually getting better than the other, these companies would make more money, the money that they wouldn't have gained if they had jumped straight into producing virtual reality consoles and the like.

But, the future, although looking very bright and roset at the moment for gaming, could end up in disaster.
Looking at the present situation, we have three companies that are competing for the console crown, and if you ask me, anyone can win. But, this competition could get out of hand, more companies would be knocked out of the console market, like Sega have already, and then this would most likely lead to there being only one company left, which be boring, and it wouldn't give us a choice of what console to have.

The future could end up being anything, I just hope that these console wars don't lead to the destruction of the console market.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.