GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Advice for A-Levels, please"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 26/08/05 at 10:50
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
Right, with GCSE results as good as they need to be, I now have a choice to make for A-Levels.

I am definitely taking Maths and English Language, as they're easy, and useful.

Basically, I am now unsure which Science(s) to take with them.

The options are:

Chemistry and Biology (both well-respected, but possibly too tough to do both and two other A-Levels.

Just Chemistry with the other two, as, whilst it is hard, it is apparently very well-respected, and I'll be able to focus solely on it from a Science point of view.

Just Physics, as it is the only Science I got an A at for GCSE (got B's for Biology and Chemistry). unfortunately, it's my least favourite of the Sciences, but I seem to do well in all exams in it, without really studying very much. It also combines well with Maths.

I'm currently looking at a career in Law at the moment, and Uni's seem to just want core stuff really, so they can teach the Law course from scratch. This means that it doesn't really matter which one of these I take, as I'm guaranteed to have Maths, English and a Science, but obviously I'd like the best grades possible, whatever I take.

Opinions would be useful, thankee.
Sun 04/09/05 at 14:16
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
gerrid wrote:
> You don't have to do literature, you can choose to do coursework or a
> task based assignment or something instead, although literature is
> easier and will help your overall french.

It was 8 years ago I did my A-Level's so I suppose they've changed a bit since then! Didn't have the choice back then.

My other advice is if you can clearly see you don't like the subject or are struggling at it and it's effecting your other subjects change it for something else if at all possible.

I struggled through 2 years of French and it effected my Maths and Geography and I ended up with CCE. If I'd dropped French for something else I'm sure I'd have gotten A or B in Maths and Geography but luckily even though I missed out on getting enough UCAS points for my first choice University they still let me in and I now have a degree to prove it.
Sun 04/09/05 at 14:10
Regular
"bit of a brain"
You don't have to do literature, you can choose to do coursework or a task based assignment or something instead, although literature is easier and will help your overall french.
Sun 04/09/05 at 13:57
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Majestic wrote:
> Yeah. Modern languages are invaluable if you can do them.

To do Modern Languages at A-Level you need to be good at English Literature as well.

At GCSE I got A in French and C in Literature and thought I could do French at A-Level. Wrong!

Languages at A-Level isn't just about learning words and phrases it's about doing literature as well and as I couldn't do it at English GCSE very well I really struggled at A-Level French.

However if you can do it a language at A-Level and a Law degree are an excellent combination.
Sun 04/09/05 at 12:43
Regular
Yeah. Modern languages are invaluable if you can do them.
Sun 04/09/05 at 01:38
Regular
"Colourless"
Oh and I haven't read what other people have written, so - sorry if I'm repeating.

If you want to do law at uni do a modern language (french) as job opportunities will be much better....
Sun 04/09/05 at 01:35
Regular
"Colourless"
many goats wrote:
> I am definitely taking Maths, as they're easy

Wtf....

And yes, dont do law - get a degree and THEN do a law conversion....
Wed 31/08/05 at 00:01
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Just a little helpful advice:

Take Physics or Chemistry for what you want to do.

Definately take lit over lang.

You don't need Latin at all for law. It seemingly doesn't help either.

You can change AS choices in the first week anyway, but have very little chance after that. So if you get a b*stard teacher...

Most people who really want to be proper law type people don't do law at university as an undergrad. They go back as a graduate in most cases, or else go to law schools which train them up[ with various qualifications, post graduation.
Tue 30/08/05 at 14:19
Regular
"bot"
I know that, it's just I've told people billions of times before when they've asked. Well, a few times anyway. Had to send a £150 deposit for my room in halls today : O
Tue 30/08/05 at 13:58
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
Memorandum! wrote:
> Vampyr wrote:
> I'm not english. Where you from then Memo?
>
> You know what country my uni is in? There. HINT HINT.
> Northern Ireland

dont have to be from NI to wanna go there, i know people who applied there who are english (or ata least, not NI)
Sun 28/08/05 at 23:41
Memorandum! wrote:
> and munn too! In Glasgow (I think)
> I actually had an offer from Manchester but I decided that I cba with
> you English people so I turned it down.

Tsk, you forget the Welsh. I would have come back next year too, so as far as I'm concerned YOU'VE MISSED YOUR CHANCE

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.