GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Doom 3"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Doom 3'.
Thu 18/08/05 at 23:47
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I haven't gotten round to the online yet, thought I'd take the single player for a spin.
And it's terrible compared to the PC.
They've cut huge swathes of the initial area out, don't understand why. PC version you start by arriving on a shuttle and leaving it onto a dock place. You wander around, knock crates over into huge drops and wander around. Once in the station, it's a good 10mins till you reach the commander bloke. Where's the kitchen with the two guys having a chat? I played the arcade machine there, closed those massive shutters and the lights flickered one, watched the tv and chatted to the waiter/chef bloke.
There's no toilets to admire yourself in the mirror, the 2 blokes talking about people going insane with the awesome shadows and flickering neon signs above their heads.
No soldiers meandering about?
Within 10mins I was already shooting zombies, whereas the PC version took the time to build up the tension before it started throwing generic monsters from obvious spawn points at you.

Ah well, so the single-player is missing massive sections of the initial levels before it all kicks off. Robs it of creepy atmosphere and goes straight into shooty stuff.

And watched the trailer for Far Cry:Instincts as well.
Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh. Feral vision? Huge superhero strength punches? Feral running? Sniffy-vision? The point of the game, PC at least, was you were Joe Normal who happened to be mixed up in a gene-splice freakshow Dr Moreau island adventure. Speedy-run Man with maxi-punch thermal monster eyes?
Retarded.
Thu 18/08/05 at 23:47
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I haven't gotten round to the online yet, thought I'd take the single player for a spin.
And it's terrible compared to the PC.
They've cut huge swathes of the initial area out, don't understand why. PC version you start by arriving on a shuttle and leaving it onto a dock place. You wander around, knock crates over into huge drops and wander around. Once in the station, it's a good 10mins till you reach the commander bloke. Where's the kitchen with the two guys having a chat? I played the arcade machine there, closed those massive shutters and the lights flickered one, watched the tv and chatted to the waiter/chef bloke.
There's no toilets to admire yourself in the mirror, the 2 blokes talking about people going insane with the awesome shadows and flickering neon signs above their heads.
No soldiers meandering about?
Within 10mins I was already shooting zombies, whereas the PC version took the time to build up the tension before it started throwing generic monsters from obvious spawn points at you.

Ah well, so the single-player is missing massive sections of the initial levels before it all kicks off. Robs it of creepy atmosphere and goes straight into shooty stuff.

And watched the trailer for Far Cry:Instincts as well.
Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh. Feral vision? Huge superhero strength punches? Feral running? Sniffy-vision? The point of the game, PC at least, was you were Joe Normal who happened to be mixed up in a gene-splice freakshow Dr Moreau island adventure. Speedy-run Man with maxi-punch thermal monster eyes?
Retarded.
Fri 19/08/05 at 00:50
Regular
I whole-heartedly agree that these games have been dumbed down for the console audience. The PC versions are much better, same goes for Call of Duty.
Fri 19/08/05 at 09:24
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
It looks a bit dump, so I'll avoid. Hope they don't muck up Half Life 2 like this.
Fri 19/08/05 at 09:31
Regular
The console HL2 will probably feature an punk-rock/hip-hop soundtrack, pimped out buggy with Nitrous and the requirement to feed and exercise Gordon Freeman otherwise he will get fat.

I'm glad I missed out on console Doom 3 though. The PC version was bad enough.
Fri 19/08/05 at 09:32
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> And watched the trailer for Far Cry:Instincts as well.

I shuddered when I saw this. God knows what the Dev Team are thinking.
Fri 19/08/05 at 12:39
Regular
Bullett wrote:
> Goatboy wrote:
> And watched the trailer for Far Cry:Instincts as well.
>
> I shuddered when I saw this. God knows what the Dev Team are
> thinking.

Money, Money, Money, Money, Money, Money!
Fri 19/08/05 at 12:53
Regular
I don't agree in the slightest. Ubi are really putting a hell of a lot of effort into Instincts, it's clear from the way they cancelled it on Cube and PS2 to make sure they didn't have to cater for lower spec hardware.

Sure I'd prefer to just have a straight forward shooty game and none of that super power nonsense. But I guess they partly added it in because it's a totally new game and it's got to have something obvious to differentiate it with the PC game. Anyway, the moves could be fun.

As for Doom 3. They always said from the get go that they were gonna speed things up a bit, mainly because people originally complained about the slow pace of Doom 3.

I can't properly comment though as I've not played it on PC and I haven't got around to playing my copy on Xbox.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.