GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why wont sont bring out something that allows us to play jap ans usa games?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/06/01 at 12:55
Regular
I have recently purchased a ps2 and i am very impressed with the graphics and games that are available etc but what i am not impressed with is the amount of time that i have been sitting here waiting to play games such as GT3 and Winning Eleven 5 (ISS Pro Evolution) when all those lucky ppl in Japan have been playing them for quite some time now.
I am very tempted to go and get my ps2 chipped so that i can play imports (not copies) but i am unsure as to whether it is safe or not as i have heard stories from ppl who have had no problem at all and i have also heard stories from ppl who's ps2 have blown up! (well stopped working). So I ask, why dont sony bring out some kind of cartridge (think thats how u spell it) that sticks into one of the usb ports and allows you to play imports? Do they have a decent reason for not doing this?
Tue 05/06/01 at 12:55
I have recently purchased a ps2 and i am very impressed with the graphics and games that are available etc but what i am not impressed with is the amount of time that i have been sitting here waiting to play games such as GT3 and Winning Eleven 5 (ISS Pro Evolution) when all those lucky ppl in Japan have been playing them for quite some time now.
I am very tempted to go and get my ps2 chipped so that i can play imports (not copies) but i am unsure as to whether it is safe or not as i have heard stories from ppl who have had no problem at all and i have also heard stories from ppl who's ps2 have blown up! (well stopped working). So I ask, why dont sony bring out some kind of cartridge (think thats how u spell it) that sticks into one of the usb ports and allows you to play imports? Do they have a decent reason for not doing this?
Tue 05/06/01 at 13:06
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Because they wont. They want to keep the regions like every other company like Sega, Nintendo and Microsoft. DVDs are region coded, its the way of the world. The only console to be free of any regions is the Gameboy(Colour, Advance e.t.c.). The Gameboy maybe classed differently becuase its a handheld. Sony wont bring out a device but some 3rd party developer may get away with it. But dont hold your breathe for it(As you would die, because of lack of oxygen, which basically means its a long way off)
Tue 05/06/01 at 16:28
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Another reason is down to the fact that here in the UK we (being the people who keep spending hard earned cash) can continue to be ripped off by high prices, whereas if you live in the USA you'd expect to pay probably about 2 thirds of the UK price.

As for import games from Japan I have no idea what the convertion rate is but I'm sure it's a hell of alot better.

Basically it's down to good old rip-off-british-public oh and the extremely strong pound!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.