GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why the fuss about the Gamecube?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/06/01 at 22:41
Regular
I would first like to point out that this is NOT a console wars topic, as you have to have at least two parties to have a war. No, this topic is to ask the simple question: Why is everyone getting so worked up about the Gamecube?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not biased and will almost certainly buy a 'Cube after my great Nintendo experience with the N64, I'm just getting a bit tired of everyone preaching about how amazingly brilliant it will be. Have they played it? Have they seen the games(properly, not a quick demo) Have they held the controller, and therefore give wise words about the ergonomics (I think thats the word) of it? I think not! They're just eating off the palms of the companies.

What I really hate is when people start slagging off current consoles - mainly the PS2 - in comparison to a console they haven't even seen with their own eyes. My main message is that it is essential that you wait until you've actually played a console before you start vouching for its superiority.
Tue 05/06/01 at 18:53
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
exactly
Tue 05/06/01 at 18:48
The fuss about the Gamecube is simply because it is nintendo and they deserve some recognition.
Tue 05/06/01 at 18:45
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
...exactly
Tue 05/06/01 at 18:43
exactly...
Tue 05/06/01 at 18:36
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Exactly
Tue 05/06/01 at 18:33
Regular
The playstation didnt have many really top quality a games. only a few i really liked were Gran turismo and ISS pro evolution and there dont really seem to be anything new on the PS2. Just better grpahics.
Tue 05/06/01 at 18:28
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Bewarethetoadsoffate wrote:

What I really hate is when
> people start slagging off current consoles - mainly the PS2 - in
> comparison to a console they haven't even seen with their own eyes.
> My main message is that it is essential that you wait until you've
> actually played a console before you start vouching for its
> superiority.

Ok fair enough but I have never been let down by a nintendo console in terms of quality games being released so why shouldn't I be optimistic about their knew console, especially since it has more power than the PS2. I didn't like the first playstation anyway (no lie, I genuinely didn't like it) so why should I praise the PS2 if I didn't like the original. The PS2 is bound to be similar. This gives me no right to sl@g it off since I havn't really played enough good games on it to make a fair assumption but I don't sl@g it off anyway. The only thing I say about PS2 is that GameCube will be better and that it doesn't have enough good games out at the moment. I truly believe this and so do a lot of my friends who own PS2s (the part about not enough good games out at the moment that is). They think there are a lack of brilliant games but what they have they still think is the best console money can buy. That's fine, they're entitled to their opinion but I'm also entitled to mine and that is that I think GameCube will be better than PS2, at least for the games that I enjoy playing. Perfect Dark 2 for example (or any Rare game). I won't be able to play this on any console other than a nintendo console.

Now, the part about me not liking the PS2 because of the lack of good quality games, I'm not saying that I will never like it. In fact I think that there are plenty of great games coming out in the future nearer the release of the GameCube. Metal Gear Solid 2 for example, and Gran Turismo 3. These two titles look absolutely fantastic. At the moment however, a lot of the games don't look too convincing, although as you say I've never played a GameCube before or even held the controller so only time will tell.
Tue 05/06/01 at 18:27
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
NOw just one question. What the hell does POP mean.
Tue 05/06/01 at 18:27
what was i thinking...
Tue 05/06/01 at 18:26
THE games, games gameS!!!!!!! (:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.