GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Movies and Money"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/06/01 at 20:19
Regular
These days it seems that all you need to make a good seccessful film is money. You need money to bye the good actors, money to bye crew and most importantly money to pay for the film.
All the top movies that have recently been released have millions of pounds spent on them. Gladiator cost millions to make, if they built a real colloseum it would have cost billions. If it wasnt for todays advanced technology computer graphics would not be used in movies, this would meen that movies such as Gladiator would cost lots more and longer to make.
I think that actors are getting over paid, more money is spent paying for the cast than the film to make.All this comes to show that modern film can not be made without buckets of money being spent on them.

What do you think?
Sun 17/06/01 at 16:30
I think Warner Bros made there best move yet, when they decided to increase the money for The Matrix. The Matrix must be the best movie I have ever seen and this is because of the amazing special effects that Warner Bros paid for.
Sat 09/06/01 at 11:19
"Moderator"
hmm yars, you make a extrememly valid point, but i feel i must disagree, you are all talking in the incrooetn.

'(.)'
Fri 08/06/01 at 20:05
Movies do cost loads dont they.
Thu 07/06/01 at 08:52
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Micheal Douglas, for me, is one of the most "independant" Hollywood stars there are.

His last one, One Night at McCools, was produced by him and he took a minor supporting role and he was willing to wear an awful wig, play a joke hitman and generally make a fool of himself.

He always seems to take roles that a lot of Hollywood majors wouldn't touch.

Falling Down: Maniac wife beating pyscho
The Game: Smug, self important no-nothing egotist.
Wall Street: Power mad, money hungry slime.

And he produces good movies, ones that are left of centre.

For me, if Michael Douglas is in a movie, that's a pretty good indication it'll be worth watching.

Julia Roberts however....
Wed 06/06/01 at 22:26
Has anyone heard about 'Town & Country'? It's a romantic comedy starring Warren Beaty and Diane Keaton and it's just become the biggest flop in cinema history. The budget was 63 million pounds (and remember this is a ROMANTIC COMEDY not a special effects movie) and by the end of it's US cinema run it had made back a little over 4 million pounds! That's just 8% of the production costs.

And the reason for this massive, massive loss? Rumour has it that Warren Beaty (who I have always disliked) hindered the entire production process. He delayed shooting, demanded last minute script changes and argued with the director over every possible matter.

I'm not saying that he is solely responsible (it takes a lot of effort from a lot of people to spend that much money and produce such total cr*p) but this example does show how 'star' mad Hollywood is.

At the end of the day you can only blame the public who go to see the latest 'Julia Roberts' or 'Michael Douglas' movie just because the star they like is in it.

That said, their are still people who are prepared to forget about the big budgets and the stars and just make movies. Look at Robert Rodriguez (Spy Kids, Desperado, The Faculty) his first movie, El Mariachi cost just $7000 to make and has absolutly no stars in it. With talent and determination great films can be made -it's just up to the public to forget about the latest 'Keanu Reeves' flick and go and see them!
Wed 06/06/01 at 20:24
Regular
"Whatever!"
Look at Pearl Harbour - From what Ive heard it is crap but the effects have to be seen to be believed - Effects do not make a movie but with this it seems they do - We are told to go and watch it for the effects not the story!!
The most expensive movie ever made it is, but the best far from - From what Ive read anyway, I may see it if I can be bothered!!
Wed 06/06/01 at 20:12
I supose that when they spend money on these films they easily get their money back from its release.
Mon 04/06/01 at 20:19
Regular
These days it seems that all you need to make a good seccessful film is money. You need money to bye the good actors, money to bye crew and most importantly money to pay for the film.
All the top movies that have recently been released have millions of pounds spent on them. Gladiator cost millions to make, if they built a real colloseum it would have cost billions. If it wasnt for todays advanced technology computer graphics would not be used in movies, this would meen that movies such as Gladiator would cost lots more and longer to make.
I think that actors are getting over paid, more money is spent paying for the cast than the film to make.All this comes to show that modern film can not be made without buckets of money being spent on them.

What do you think?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.