GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Business Computer Setup"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/08/05 at 18:09
Regular
"NULL"
OK, I've just been asked by a local company to revamp their current PC setup. At present, they have 2x Windows 98 machines, plus a Windows XP machine. The XP machine is connected via a USB modem to ISDN.

They are hoping to get Broadband fairly soon, and they want to make some changes to their computer setup when they do. They wish to replace the Windows 98 machines with newer ones, and they want a wireless network. They are also talking of having some kind of small server.

Now, I have specced up some basic secretarial machines (Sempron 2300, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, onboard VGA/sound/LAN), and these are about £440 each. They want these to be very reliable so I have tried to ensure I am buying good quality components (Abit mobo, Crucial memory, Seagate HDD, etc). I think these should suit their needs quite nicely.

The XP machine they currently have does not need upgrading/replacing.

What I'm thinking is, could I build them a simple server with 2x SATA 200GB HDDs in RAID 1, and let them use that as their server? If so, would an AMD64 3200+ processor suit this, along with 1GB RAM? It only has to serve 3 computers.

Also, they want to stick to Windows XP for all the desktop machines, so would it make sense to stick to Windows for the server as well? I have very little experience of setting up Linux machines and wouldn't be happy to do so for a company as their main machine.

So if I go for Windows for the server, what version of Windows do I need for it? They don't need anything fancy. I was hoping they could have their login details stored on the server rather than the local machines, but the main thing would be just to use it as a data store.

They don't have much money to spend on this kinda stuff, and at the moment, the 2 Windows 98 machines aren't even networked, so it'll all be new to them.

Any thoughts?
Thu 04/08/05 at 18:09
Regular
"NULL"
OK, I've just been asked by a local company to revamp their current PC setup. At present, they have 2x Windows 98 machines, plus a Windows XP machine. The XP machine is connected via a USB modem to ISDN.

They are hoping to get Broadband fairly soon, and they want to make some changes to their computer setup when they do. They wish to replace the Windows 98 machines with newer ones, and they want a wireless network. They are also talking of having some kind of small server.

Now, I have specced up some basic secretarial machines (Sempron 2300, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, onboard VGA/sound/LAN), and these are about £440 each. They want these to be very reliable so I have tried to ensure I am buying good quality components (Abit mobo, Crucial memory, Seagate HDD, etc). I think these should suit their needs quite nicely.

The XP machine they currently have does not need upgrading/replacing.

What I'm thinking is, could I build them a simple server with 2x SATA 200GB HDDs in RAID 1, and let them use that as their server? If so, would an AMD64 3200+ processor suit this, along with 1GB RAM? It only has to serve 3 computers.

Also, they want to stick to Windows XP for all the desktop machines, so would it make sense to stick to Windows for the server as well? I have very little experience of setting up Linux machines and wouldn't be happy to do so for a company as their main machine.

So if I go for Windows for the server, what version of Windows do I need for it? They don't need anything fancy. I was hoping they could have their login details stored on the server rather than the local machines, but the main thing would be just to use it as a data store.

They don't have much money to spend on this kinda stuff, and at the moment, the 2 Windows 98 machines aren't even networked, so it'll all be new to them.

Any thoughts?
Thu 04/08/05 at 18:54
Regular
Linux would be cheaper (free)

But seeing as your experience is limited, you might have to get them to fork out for Windows 2003 Server ($999).
Thu 04/08/05 at 18:58
Regular
"NULL"
gamesfreak wrote:
> But seeing as your experience is limited, you might have to get them
> to fork out for Windows 2003 Server ($999).

Forget that! I'll stick XP on there and they can just use it as a filestore and printer sharer.
Thu 04/08/05 at 19:03
Regular
Nimco wrote:
> Forget that! I'll stick XP on there and they can just use it as a
> filestore and printer sharer.

Haha yeah good idea.

You could probably get away with sticking Windows 2000 on there.
Thu 04/08/05 at 21:04
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
A cheaper alternative to a server would be to buy them a network HD if all they need is a filestore. You can buy them with print servers built in too or you can just buy them a router with print server capabilities.

Btw, your server is way over spec for their needs. You could comfortably half that spec and still have way more power than they'll ever use. And definitely you wont need anything like Windows Server 2003, you might consider windows small business server if you wanted a central place to manage databases/email etc. otherwise a PRO edition of 2000 or XP is fine.
Thu 04/08/05 at 21:10
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Why do they need a server, exactly? Can't you just beef up one of the PCs spec-wise and use that as a data store and 'server', with the other two machines accessing it's HD over the network?
Thu 04/08/05 at 21:35
Regular
"NULL"
Cos if I build them a server, I can charge them for building another PC :)

Anyway, I think they're trying to expand. To be honest though, I think XP Pro and a reduced spec server would be the way forward.

Is there anything I need to consider in terms of speccing a server? I know it'd be a wise plan to have a gig of RAM, and I'd use the RAID array for data integrity. Anything else?

Also, am I OK to install XP Home on the desktops, or does it have to be XP Pro for business use?
Thu 04/08/05 at 22:54
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Go with a XEOn processor if your budget will stretch.

Apart from that have a look at anandtech.com to see if they've got any server related articles.
Thu 04/08/05 at 23:12
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
I can't beleive I'm saying this, but business set ups would be better using someone like DELL. Basic desktops from £249 [URL]http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_3000?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&l=en&s=bsd[/URL]

At my last place we used to use these [URL]http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/optix_sx280?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&l=en&s=bsd[/URL] but in the case of your client, it's the after sales support etc that more important when taking on business machines and DELL are very good for this. There's also the small issue of them being able to claim back the VAT on account, which iirc, if your not VAT registered, they can't do.

Also, if something blows up, your liable to replace/repair it at your cost, not theirs. Supplying PC's for business is a nightmare and can leave you out of pocket if things go "pop".
Fri 05/08/05 at 10:11
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Tyla wrote:
> I can't beleive I'm saying this, but business set ups would be better
> using someone like DELL.

I was just about to suggest the same thing, nothing wrong with suggesting DELL as a business machine, they like Honda .. just work :)

As for that server spec, way way WAY over specced, unless it's doing any processing for them a 64bit processer to do a bit of file sharing is a complete waste.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.