GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What the hell?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/08/05 at 09:18
Regular
[URL]http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,2763,1542032,00.html[/URL]

How come no one helped him? One man even rejected giving his jacket to help him...
Thu 04/08/05 at 23:24
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Goatboy wrote:
> So you lot would sit there and do nothing, but afterwards when it was
> all over, you'd like, do something or something.
> What if it was you in trouble and everybody said "I'll wait till
> you've been damaged if it's all the same"
>
> Shame on you.

If I knew what was going on then I'd be more inclined to step in and help, but if you can't see what's going on and you don't know any details then running in would be risky and stupid.

Would you really try and attack somebody holding a knife, especially in such a small space?
Thu 04/08/05 at 21:57
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Shame on them, but that is what the majority of people would do, as the article and this thread have proved.

From my time in the police/nasty, dirty, evil teen cops, (for Goaty), I have only met a few people that would jump in if they risked a shoeing themselves, even in the police.

One lad that I had a fair bit of respect for helped a officer who was taking a serious beating from 3 drug dealers when he was off duty. He took a few knocks himself, but he saved the other guy from a possible career ending injury. I miss working with people like that.
Thu 04/08/05 at 21:45
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
So you lot would sit there and do nothing, but afterwards when it was all over, you'd like, do something or something.
What if it was you in trouble and everybody said "I'll wait till you've been damaged if it's all the same"

Shame on you.
Thu 04/08/05 at 21:45
Regular
Yes, I can see why people would not want to help if there was danger. It would not help if you got stabbed too..
Thu 04/08/05 at 21:42
Regular
"The definitive tag"
It depends on the situation, or the lack of knowledge about the situation.

You can't just run into something like this, it's far too bigger risk. It could just be kids messing about, but as this case shows it could also be a knife wielding madman.

Obviously I don't want some poor bloke to get stabbed, but rather him than me.

Not doing anything once the danger has gone is inexcusable though. Just sitting there and not even bothering to ask if he's ok is appalling.
Thu 04/08/05 at 17:50
Regular
"That's right!"
I'll admit I wouldn't have run upstairs to see what was going on, I'm one of those "Someone else will do it" people, which is pretty terrible.

Of course if I was with someone and either they or I suggested we help then I would, especially if I was with a few mates, because I'd feel more protected if there was a chance of danger. I'm a coward the rest of the time.

But if I'd been on that bus AFTER the guy got off I physically couldn't just sit there while someone who'd been stabbed was dying in front of me. I'd be straight up, trying to remember my first aid training from almost ten years ago and telling people to get on the phone for an ambulance.

I see ruckus all the time, after all I live in Newcastle, but I've never had to intervene in anything. Things are either pointless (a kid getting started on by another kid, a few punches thrown, everyone walks away) or so severe I would be scared for my own well being (like five radgies jumping on someone's head - if that were the case I'd be looking for a weapon before jumping in, but I'd like to think I'd do SOMETHING)
Thu 04/08/05 at 14:33
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I remember reading about that guy dying.

If I was being honest I wouldn't have done anything when the women was screaming. If I was on the top deck and I saw the man being stabbed, I would probably be too shocked to do anything but I still wouldn't. Why? Well, what use is it if I get stabbed too? A nutcase has a knife and I try to stop him? I'll end up dead myself.

It is an awful feeling but I would do the same every time. The area I come from has a lot higher than average knife crime. Every second week there is a stabbing incident down at the taxi rank at the weekend. I've had to stop countless mates getting into fights, all it takes is to annoy some drunk moron and you're dead.

However, when the apparent danger has subsided to myself I would be first there to help. Not that makes me feel better but I'm shocked at people's lack of compassion to others. There was an old man on the subway one morning getting thrown about, another women with a pram and two young kids AND a man on crutches. Who got off their backside to give them a seat? The countless businessmen who sit in the 'reserved for elderly passengers' seats? The other young, able 40 students on it? Nope, none of them even looked.

Anyway, that was just my view. I'm not a complete coward, in the heat of the moment my morals may take over my sense of reason because I would like to think somebody would help me if I were in trouble.
Thu 04/08/05 at 13:15
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Fear. See something strange, you're scared and you hide. I guess.

I've never seen an incident, but a number of times there have been crazy (i.e, this mad old guy at Exeter station, he asked me where I was going so I had a very loud conversation with him about London) people on the street and I've talked to them if they've talked to me, rather than hurry past. Not the same I know, but I kinda deliberatly try and do it, rather than hide and feel guilty then feel fine the next shop I step into.
Thu 04/08/05 at 13:10
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I absolutely believe her.
3 times I've been coming home on the tube when there have been incidents and, every single time, only myself did anything (except for one elderly gentleman who phoned the police whilst I intervened).
Everybody else buried their heads in newspapers or stared out the window.
It's a disgusting state of affairs.
Thu 04/08/05 at 11:07
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Shows how people are naturally selfish. Damned people.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.