GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's dying?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/07/05 at 18:47
Regular
"8==="
Got a Dell, it freezes it can't multi-task it's your average crappy PC.

HOWEVER, now it freezes 4/5 times and when it does it can't get past the Dell logo during the boot.

It's possible it's just realised it's a Dell and is simply trying to commit suicide but if not what part of it is dying?

Better not be the maindrive as I only had it installed about 8 months ago.
Thu 28/07/05 at 00:28
Regular
"Captain to you."
When i have 2 drives in and one only runs windows i refer to it as my main-drive.

When you computer works do the following to both drives

1. run ad-aware SE full scan - updated to the latest definitions
2. run spybot search and destroy
3. run microsoft spyware program full scan - fully updated
4. run AVS free version
4. disk clean up
5. defrag both drives.

post any viruses found here (full names) so we can check for deeper problems that it may have cause if there are any.
Thu 28/07/05 at 00:19
Regular
"Bicycle"
Hedfix wrote:
> Coin wrote:
> Hedfix wrote:
> maindrive
>
> Ahaha.
>
> It probably is your harddrive, by the way.
>
> I have 2 drives (Drive C: which has windows (ie the maindrive) etc on
> and my D: drive, SHOCKING) actually I have a portable one too but I
> left that back in Jersey.

Still, they would both be harddrives - only the one which has your OS on it is called the master (generally) and the other is the slave. Unless you're running a Raid 0 array, but I assumed you weren't.
Wed 27/07/05 at 21:44
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Well it depends what programs they are. Also if you have spyware or the like, it may be loading up invisibly, so you think you're only starting up with 5 programs when actually you have quite a few. Like merm said the best way is to run a Spyware test and us msconfig to check what's ACTUALLY loading, and not just what you can see. You may have already done that though, I don't know.

How much RAM do you have?
Wed 27/07/05 at 21:38
Regular
"8==="
Good idea. But 1 or 2 are un-needed crap really, just didn't think a few programs would stop my comp getting past the 'Dell' screen.
Wed 27/07/05 at 21:36
Regular
"bot"
You could try giving it a spyware scan to see if there's anything you can get rid of. Instead of having to kill the programs manually every time you could go to Run and type 'msconfig' then uncheck all the startup programs you don't need to permanently disable them.
Wed 27/07/05 at 21:32
Regular
"8==="
Defensive? Nah, just thought I'd make light of the fact I thought my computer is dying.

It's not. It seems I have to kill 1 or 2 programs off and clear up the desktop a little.

End of.
Wed 27/07/05 at 21:22
Regular
"bit of a brain"
What are you on about? You say there are loads of programs running, so I give a number which you could count as "loads". Now you're saying that I should look for exaggeration? Come on Hedfix why are you so defensive?
Wed 27/07/05 at 21:16
Regular
"8==="
Spot the exaggeration in the earlier posts?
Wed 27/07/05 at 21:00
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Hedfix wrote:
> I have loads of crappy programs starting when windows gets going.

I don't call 5 'loads'. 5 is pretty standard and shouldn't be slowing anything down. What are the programs?
Wed 27/07/05 at 20:57
Regular
"8==="
Yeah 30...

Think I have 5.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.