GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC Vs Consoles"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/06/01 at 17:44
Regular
I greet You all with this message;

What do you think will suffer in the future of gaming?
Will the PC totally over-rule the console industry, or will every one in the future own a super-powered P4 console-type 'Xbox' thing, that handles every thing from 'Word' to 'Quake 3' online???
Sun 03/06/01 at 17:44
I greet You all with this message;

What do you think will suffer in the future of gaming?
Will the PC totally over-rule the console industry, or will every one in the future own a super-powered P4 console-type 'Xbox' thing, that handles every thing from 'Word' to 'Quake 3' online???
Sun 03/06/01 at 18:07
There are great differences between PCs and consoles.

The main one is that consoles are purely built for games, nothing else. PCs are also used for things such as work, managing money, and other things, not just games.

There is also the issue of price. PCs can cost up to ten times the amount of a console, maybe even more than that as the PCs keep getting better and more powerful. So, consoles are really a cheaper alternative to PCs, and for people who only want to play games.

PCs can also be constantly upgraded, which will make them last longer, and they will not lose their appeal. But this also, can be expensive.

So, PCs will be around for a long time because they have several other uses other than gaming, and they may be around a lot longer than consoles. But consoles are a lot cheaper.

PCs and consoles will be with us for along time, and the fact that PCs and Consoles are not in competition with each other, will make it even longer.
Sun 03/06/01 at 20:59
wormy wonderer wrote:
> I greet You all with this message;

What do you think will suffer
> in the future of gaming?
Will the PC totally over-rule the console
> industry, or will every one in the future own a super-powered P4
> console-type 'Xbox' thing, that handles every thing from 'Word' to
> 'Quake 3' online???

Wouldn't an X-Box that can do all that just be a PC? I do believe so, and it's what I've been saying all along.

Greetings and Vote Gronti.
Sun 03/06/01 at 21:41
Regular
"Back For Good"
I used to use my PC for games,first I had a £1000 quid PC with 1 joypad.The games came in huge boxes(sorted now) and you had to install them,restart,sort drivers,turn screen saver off,joystick enabled and it took forever to load and some were really slow, my computer was top of the range it just didn't really fit the hardware.

Windows runs nearly all games and this is really unreliable,save every 5 minutes,not that you might die because it may crash.

I Prefer games consoles where games are nicely priced for what they are.very very reliable,Run and load fast,just plug and play in 1 minute and every game is made to play on your exact hardware.

I think if a console came out as upgradable as a PC,The PC for games would go.
Sun 03/06/01 at 21:53
That was a long time ago eh? Or just a poor quality PC. Every PC I've had has ran fine with games and proportionately I would probably have had about equal crashes and such on both PC and Console.
Mon 04/06/01 at 09:54
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
gronti_v wrote:
Wouldn't an X-Box that can do all
> that just be a PC? I do believe so, and it's what I've been saying
> all along.

Any console that can do all that *cough* PS2 *cough* becomes a personal computer and not a console...

HD + K'board/mouse + console = games computer
Mon 04/06/01 at 11:32
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Does any have any good joysticks for the PC because I haven't found any?
Mon 04/06/01 at 12:07
Regular
"not dead"
Consoles are for playing games.

PC's can be used for playing games, but they're for multi-tasking. Number-crunching, word processing, databases. Stuff like that.

If I want to play games, more often than not I'll use a console. It's what it's built for. Certain games, however, suit the PC more.

Why is this, you may ask, and I'll tell you.

Keyboard and mouse.

Sometimes there just aren't enough buttons on a joystick, and the mouse is handy for moving cursors.

So give consoles a keyboard and a mouse, and you don't need a PC to play games anymore.

These things don't make your console a PC, far from it, they're just accessories for gaming.

What else that the PC has could improve gaming?

Online capabilities. So yuo can play Mortal Kombat with a friend in Vietnam, as Jim Carrey put it in The Cable Guy.

So stick a modem on a console, so you can play people the world around. Still doesn't make it a PC though, it's a console with online capabilities.

What else might the console owner want? Rather than shelling out on dozens on memory cardsand the like, how about a hard drive to which you can save data?

Good idea, we'll have one of those too.

So now our console has all of these extras, and guess what? It's still a console! It's purpose is still only to play games. It hasn't become a PC, merely taken some of the features that make PC gaming special, and given them to the machines that you should be playing games on.
Mon 04/06/01 at 12:19
"High polygon count"
Well said, that Dragon!
Mon 04/06/01 at 13:24
Meka_Dragon wrote:
> Consoles are for playing games.

PC's can be used for playing
> games, but they're for multi-tasking. Number-crunching, word
> processing, databases. Stuff like that.

If I want to play games,
> more often than not I'll use a console. It's what it's built for.
> Certain games, however, suit the PC more.

Why is this, you may
> ask, and I'll tell you.

Keyboard and mouse.

Sometimes there
> just aren't enough buttons on a joystick, and the mouse is handy for
> moving cursors.

So give consoles a keyboard and a mouse, and you
> don't need a PC to play games anymore.

These things don't make
> your console a PC, far from it, they're just accessories for
> gaming.

What else that the PC has could improve gaming?

> capabilities. So yuo can play Mortal Kombat with a friend in
> Vietnam, as Jim Carrey put it in The Cable Guy.

So stick a modem
> on a console, so you can play people the world around. Still doesn't
> make it a PC though, it's a console with online
> capabilities.

What else might the console owner want? Rather than
> shelling out on dozens on memory cardsand the like, how about a hard
> drive to which you can save data?

Good idea, we'll have one of
> those too.

So now our console has all of these extras, and guess
> what? It's still a console! It's purpose is still only to play
> games. It hasn't become a PC, merely taken some of the features that
> make PC gaming special, and given them to the machines that you
> should be playing games on.

Well Said. This basically sums it all up nicely.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.