GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can Games Actually Get Better?..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/06/01 at 23:34
Regular
Games are alike everything we use and play in the world, they are given a rating, commented on, and then left for the public to buy and decide, however it has come to my attention that with these ratings and what-nots, can gaming actually get better then what we have already had?

I really am not to sure, when we find a game we love, these games only come once every few years, but I really couldn't say which was my best game comparing Secret Of Mana and Zelda Ocarina of Time, thinking about it I played and received the same levels of enjoyment from both games, hell if I was to go with one it would denfinetely be the Snes Classic because with a multitap and a couple of friends 'nothing' beats it for gameplay and lastibility.

Therefore I really can't see us being that much more amazed in the games we play in the future, sure they can have superb graphics, because they will always get better, but for all other aspects of the game I can't see me enjoying anything in the future more than the old classics first time around.

Games in the future better be worth the wait, its been a long time (CBFD the exception) since I was trying to pick my mouth of the floor when playing a game, nothing in the past twelve months has impressed me that much... and I hope something does in the future, because I have waited long enough!

Thanks
er-no
Sat 02/06/01 at 23:34
Regular
"everyone says it"
Games are alike everything we use and play in the world, they are given a rating, commented on, and then left for the public to buy and decide, however it has come to my attention that with these ratings and what-nots, can gaming actually get better then what we have already had?

I really am not to sure, when we find a game we love, these games only come once every few years, but I really couldn't say which was my best game comparing Secret Of Mana and Zelda Ocarina of Time, thinking about it I played and received the same levels of enjoyment from both games, hell if I was to go with one it would denfinetely be the Snes Classic because with a multitap and a couple of friends 'nothing' beats it for gameplay and lastibility.

Therefore I really can't see us being that much more amazed in the games we play in the future, sure they can have superb graphics, because they will always get better, but for all other aspects of the game I can't see me enjoying anything in the future more than the old classics first time around.

Games in the future better be worth the wait, its been a long time (CBFD the exception) since I was trying to pick my mouth of the floor when playing a game, nothing in the past twelve months has impressed me that much... and I hope something does in the future, because I have waited long enough!

Thanks
er-no
Sat 02/06/01 at 23:43
Regular
If we think of games ratings wise, its hard to place a percentage on a game. Can a game ever get 100%? if it did it would mean it is perfect and it cant be bettered. You never know whats around the corner. So enjoy what you have and stop thinking too far ahead and be surprised.
Sat 02/06/01 at 23:50
Regular
"everyone says it"
Batistuta wrote:
> If we think of games ratings wise, its hard to place a percentage on
> a game. Can a game ever get 100%? if it did it would mean it is
> perfect and it cant be bettered.

but when you have a game that is just that damn good, I really don't feel anything in the future can better it...

..NO GAME SHOULD EVER GET 100%, because NO GAME can be perfect.
Sat 02/06/01 at 23:52
Regular
exactly, no game can be perfect. So that must mean that games should become better as time passes. Well in theory anyway.
Sat 02/06/01 at 23:54
Regular
"everyone says it"
Batistuta wrote:
> exactly, no game can be perfect. So that must mean that games
> should become better as time passes. Well in theory anyway.

Better in what way? Graphically is the only way it can get better!
Sat 02/06/01 at 23:57
Regular
The thinking behind the game. The control style. Sure the graphics will get better.
Sun 03/06/01 at 00:02
It'll get harder and harder, that's for sure. Over time, gamers will get bored with the same styles of gameplay, and although some genres like RTS will never die out because of the constant new features that are always being added, it will be really difficult in years to come to create a game that makes people say, "This'll be a classic".
Sun 03/06/01 at 00:05
Regular
"everyone says it"
Yeap, there were more classic in the early years than there are now!
Sun 03/06/01 at 00:07
I'm still addicted to playing Pac-Man to be honest...
Sun 03/06/01 at 00:09
Regular
Thats cos in the early years we didnt have anything to compare the games to. know-a-days all we seem to do is say how good the games were in the ol' days.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.