GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is gaming at a halt?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/06/01 at 21:49
Regular
Haven't all of you notice how quiet the gaming industry is now?
The N64 is churning out the last few games in it's life, the Dreamcast is suffering from it's near death, it's basically not bringing out very good games at the moment some developers are giving up on the machine and the PS2, well all the fans can say is wait for MGS 2 and GT3 what else is there to wait for this year? I haven't seen that many groundbreaking games since around Christmas time when it first came out.
We all seen the GameCube in E3 but for Europe it's not even a few months away from reality itself.

The main problem is that if we release a lot more games, do you expect all of them to be great?
No you can't, you can't expect all of them to be great you have to have some rubbish games to fill the gap while we wait for the big ones to come out. Somehow they are able to add new characters to the game and improve the graphics bit, we still buy the games don’t we?
The problem with the Gaming industry now is that some developers are having problems thinking of new ideas.
After one revolutionary game such as Goldeneye we get an everlasting number of clones, but that isn’t always a bad thing, Goldeneye made sure that 3D shooters could become the most popular genre around and it has been of course copied again and again, so when will this genre ever run out of steam? It hasn’t of course because this genre is a very popular one amongst mainly the Male gamers, and that is a lot.
Just adding new levels and improved graphics is enough for us gamers to not notice that these games are exactly the same except a few new features!

In most machines these days, all that changes is the specs and we look at that the most, because without specs we wouldn’t have great graphics! Groundbreaking games are released now and then but the quality of the games are pretty low compared to the good old games such as the very first Sonic that came out because games were simply a new thing back then, and technology wasn’t exactly our high point. But today I think that gaming isn’t advancing to new heights like the technology is at the moment, I expect a few more original games that include a bit more imagination in them, I expect many developers know what I’m talking about, eh Shigsy? Anyone seen Animal Forest, it has Nintendo’s childish ‘type’ graphics but Shigsy’s idea is to have the family involved in it! Great! If that isn’t the way to go for designing new and original games what is?

I look forward to the GameCube a lot not because it is very powerful, but I expect some surprising stuff to turn up on that machine. We can still have sequels around in the future but some Deus Ex type games are needed to make the gaming boat a bit more stable because people are losing precious time bringing out clones all the time, of course they make more money out of selling sequel after sequel of a series that begins great and ends up exactly the same game in the sequel, but they know we expect a bit more than improving the graphics of games to make them more realistic. Realism of games is cool, but not all games can be realistic because some of their ideas are crazy! Look at Microsoft’s Malice for the X-Box!
But realism doesn’t mean we don’t buy the games, whether or not it is playable or not we can’t play a game that has been rendered beautifully and you can’t play it for that long.

The whole concept is to enjoy the game, the graphics is an extra piece of the jigsaw that catches our eye all the time, and it’s like the selling point of whole games!
So will we fix the problems with game shortage and more original games? The future will tell when the next console machines are out, not when the next Pentium processor is out!

Keep an open mind on what games you buy! Whether or not you haven’t played the genre before you may be surprised to find it good.

Have a good day
Sniper
Sat 02/06/01 at 21:49
Regular
Haven't all of you notice how quiet the gaming industry is now?
The N64 is churning out the last few games in it's life, the Dreamcast is suffering from it's near death, it's basically not bringing out very good games at the moment some developers are giving up on the machine and the PS2, well all the fans can say is wait for MGS 2 and GT3 what else is there to wait for this year? I haven't seen that many groundbreaking games since around Christmas time when it first came out.
We all seen the GameCube in E3 but for Europe it's not even a few months away from reality itself.

The main problem is that if we release a lot more games, do you expect all of them to be great?
No you can't, you can't expect all of them to be great you have to have some rubbish games to fill the gap while we wait for the big ones to come out. Somehow they are able to add new characters to the game and improve the graphics bit, we still buy the games don’t we?
The problem with the Gaming industry now is that some developers are having problems thinking of new ideas.
After one revolutionary game such as Goldeneye we get an everlasting number of clones, but that isn’t always a bad thing, Goldeneye made sure that 3D shooters could become the most popular genre around and it has been of course copied again and again, so when will this genre ever run out of steam? It hasn’t of course because this genre is a very popular one amongst mainly the Male gamers, and that is a lot.
Just adding new levels and improved graphics is enough for us gamers to not notice that these games are exactly the same except a few new features!

In most machines these days, all that changes is the specs and we look at that the most, because without specs we wouldn’t have great graphics! Groundbreaking games are released now and then but the quality of the games are pretty low compared to the good old games such as the very first Sonic that came out because games were simply a new thing back then, and technology wasn’t exactly our high point. But today I think that gaming isn’t advancing to new heights like the technology is at the moment, I expect a few more original games that include a bit more imagination in them, I expect many developers know what I’m talking about, eh Shigsy? Anyone seen Animal Forest, it has Nintendo’s childish ‘type’ graphics but Shigsy’s idea is to have the family involved in it! Great! If that isn’t the way to go for designing new and original games what is?

I look forward to the GameCube a lot not because it is very powerful, but I expect some surprising stuff to turn up on that machine. We can still have sequels around in the future but some Deus Ex type games are needed to make the gaming boat a bit more stable because people are losing precious time bringing out clones all the time, of course they make more money out of selling sequel after sequel of a series that begins great and ends up exactly the same game in the sequel, but they know we expect a bit more than improving the graphics of games to make them more realistic. Realism of games is cool, but not all games can be realistic because some of their ideas are crazy! Look at Microsoft’s Malice for the X-Box!
But realism doesn’t mean we don’t buy the games, whether or not it is playable or not we can’t play a game that has been rendered beautifully and you can’t play it for that long.

The whole concept is to enjoy the game, the graphics is an extra piece of the jigsaw that catches our eye all the time, and it’s like the selling point of whole games!
So will we fix the problems with game shortage and more original games? The future will tell when the next console machines are out, not when the next Pentium processor is out!

Keep an open mind on what games you buy! Whether or not you haven’t played the genre before you may be surprised to find it good.

Have a good day
Sniper
Sat 02/06/01 at 21:52
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Business was booming last month for gamers everywhere but youre right things are starting to quieten down a bit...but on June 22nd things will start to liven up a bit and sometime next year when the GC is released WOW, and the XBOX.

Although the PS2 has got new games poring out of its ears at the minute although they arent hugely anticipated!
Sat 02/06/01 at 21:56
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Someone's hacked Sniper's account!

j/k

Good post though. I'd like to comment, but I feel strangely speechless.
Sat 02/06/01 at 21:58
Regular
This better win Ali... you know what happened last time when Sniper made an excellent post and he didn't win...

Yes, you DO remember, don't you... :0)
Sat 02/06/01 at 22:00
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Lol! What ever did you do Snipe!
Sat 02/06/01 at 22:01
Regular
"gsybe you!"
i dread to think..
Sat 02/06/01 at 22:05
Regular
Zeldapro wrote:
> Lol! What ever did you do Snipe!

Do what? Anyway what we need for the GC is new games! And Dinosaur Planet does that nicely!
Sat 02/06/01 at 22:07
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Yeah but it wouldnt be a Nintendo console without the classics. But a new console does need new games!
Sat 02/06/01 at 22:21
Regular
"Back For Good"
kinda true, but what else is there to wait for this year for the PS2, check here at SR and just have a look.In about a month or so the games wll be rolling in. There's already quite a few good ones out there but soon they'll be a nice collection.
Sat 02/06/01 at 22:22
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
GTA 3 for the PS2 looks wicked star!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.