GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"American Prices (?)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 20/06/05 at 18:17
Regular
"The Red Shift"
I'm going to North America soon (Vancouver), so are there any electrical items that I should try and pick up because they're cheaper. Particularly with this new computer in mind etc.

What compatibility problems would I have too. I can't imagine there would be any for computer parts, because they're universal. But other stuff maybe...

Ideas?
Mon 20/06/05 at 18:17
Regular
"The Red Shift"
I'm going to North America soon (Vancouver), so are there any electrical items that I should try and pick up because they're cheaper. Particularly with this new computer in mind etc.

What compatibility problems would I have too. I can't imagine there would be any for computer parts, because they're universal. But other stuff maybe...

Ideas?
Mon 20/06/05 at 18:20
Regular
Get everything from there (bar your PSU, unless it can switch to 240v)

I recently came back from Florida, and the stuff you can get there is stupidly cheap.

Everything in America is much less expensive than here.

P.S. Don't get a case, it'd be gay to bring that back on the plane. Try to hide your stuff as you are coming back as well. Customs will charge you VAT if you have gear totalling upto £200 (I think).
Mon 20/06/05 at 18:29
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Hmmm.

Perhaps I'll have to get an advance on that money I was expecting.

:D

How much roughly? I mean are prices less over there, as well as the pound being strong, or is it just the strength of the pound?

20% less?
Mon 20/06/05 at 18:30
Regular
"The Red Shift"
gamesfreak wrote:
> P.S. Don't get a case, it'd be gay to bring that back on the plane.
> Try to hide your stuff as you are coming back as well. Customs will
> charge you VAT if you have gear totalling upto £200 (I think).

Isn't that

*gasps*

illegal?
Mon 20/06/05 at 18:45
Regular
Just say you didn't realise. Simple.

By that theory you should pay customs on every gift you bring back from abroad, but do you?
Mon 20/06/05 at 18:50
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Hells no:

"I'm...er...part of a geek-hood. So these are the common gifts..."

Mon 20/06/05 at 19:01
Regular
When travelling from a non-EU country (including the Canary Islands, the Channel islands and Gibraltar) you can bring the following into the UK for your own use without paying UK tax or duty:

* £145 worth of all other goods including gifts and souvenirs.

If you bring in something worth more than the limit of £145, you must pay charges on the full value, not just the value above £145.

Just hide it.

I got a video camera from there and there wasn't even a customs person at Manchester airport!
Mon 20/06/05 at 19:04
Regular
If it's a family holiday they don't ever check anyway.

You have to look really dodgy before they even both to check =D
Mon 20/06/05 at 19:15
Regular
"The Red Shift"
I'm going by Heathrow/Gatwick though.

:(

I don't look that dodgy on a good day though.

If I put it in my suitcase, they won't care will they?
EDIT:

Genius idea. I'm going with someone, so if I stash some stuff in their case it counts as 2 people's worth right?
Mon 20/06/05 at 19:22
Regular
Clazon wrote:
> Genius idea. I'm going with someone, so if I stash some stuff in
> their case it counts as 2 peoples worth right?

Yeap, it's £145 per person so you'll be OK

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.