GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is this a bug I see before me?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 01/06/01 at 17:24
Regular
Just wondered if anyone who's got F1 2001 on the PS2 has noticed a gear change problem? Very occasionally the gears seem to max out at 5th gear, causing you to lose something like 10 seconds a lap. I even tried turning off all the 'realism' modes, and it still happens occasionally. Any ideas?
Fri 01/06/01 at 17:24
Just wondered if anyone who's got F1 2001 on the PS2 has noticed a gear change problem? Very occasionally the gears seem to max out at 5th gear, causing you to lose something like 10 seconds a lap. I even tried turning off all the 'realism' modes, and it still happens occasionally. Any ideas?
Fri 01/06/01 at 18:26
Regular
Nope, not noticed it, I did notice that on cahllenge mode, my first split time was 5 seconds, my second split 19, but by the end it was the normal lap time. This was on my forst lap, so it wasn't just time differences coming up on the screen!!
Fri 01/06/01 at 18:37
On the car setup are you changing the gear ratios? If you are then I've had this problem before and I don't think it is a bug. If sixth gear is slightly too far away from fifth gear (or any of the higher gears too far apart) then it won't change up because the revs will be too low when it does.

I hope I've explained it clearly enough, but if I haven't please tell me.

And if you aren't adjusting the ratios, then I have no idea what the problem is.
Sat 02/06/01 at 13:06
Regular
"CYA GUYS"
Gear changing eh...Yep the gear ratio has to be the answer...or maybe ya just can't drive good and ya blaming it on the controls..dunno (:@)
Sat 02/06/01 at 15:49
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Have you changed the gears at all? If you have then it is more or likely this. I have noticed not a bug but something a little annoying. When I was playing one day I used the right stick to accelerate and brake. Then I went back to the buttons. When I did this the car would'nt accelerate fast at all. When it got up to about 5th It would decelerate, even though it was in the same mode i.e. Had'nt quite out so the options were the same.
Sat 02/06/01 at 17:00
Regular
"CYA GUYS"
So its just best to leave options alone.
Sat 02/06/01 at 18:02
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
You will need to change options as other wise the car will not be set up for the track. When you change the gears you need to make sure there isnt a big gap between gears. Have a look at the default setting. If the gear 6 is to far away from 5 then it will not change up as it hasnt got the revs. You need to change the gears to suit the course. Monaco needs a short gear change as your not going to be going as fast as in Germany.
Mon 04/06/01 at 11:06
The man speaks the truth about gear ratios.

As far as my problem is concerned, I have tried starting a new game (not from a save game), with no gear tampering, on Novice mode, all options off. I still occasionally get a 5th gear max out. Usually the only way to clear it, is to start a new session. Though bizarrely I have seen 6th and 7th gear become available again with no action. Utterly bizarre (and not to mention potentially ruining the game).
Mon 04/06/01 at 13:30
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
I too have had this problem, only yesterday and couldn't do a thing about it apart from restart the PS2.

I do remember from another topic in this forum that someone mentioned about the right stick for accelerate/brake and don't mix the two up cos the PS2 then gets confused.

I had done this in the 1st lap for a good getaway and then found after being about 3 seconds in the lead that'd I'd change back to using x and square as normal....opps within half a lap I was backof the grid and no hope of winning!

Tried a full stop and then accelerate with x no change, tried a lap on rubbish gears thinking that the PS2 would sort itself out but nope....ok I'll switch off and since then been ok.

Take heed of the advice and try not to use both in the same race, it'll only backfire in the end!
Mon 04/06/01 at 16:19
Excellent. I'll try just using analogue, and see if that helps. Cheers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.