GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The BritPop Resurrection"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 10/06/05 at 15:24
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
Many years ago, when most of you will just have been plans, there spawned a phase referred to as ‘Britpop’. It was a magical time when the music was fresh and new, most unlike the durge that occupies the charts today. I was but a youngster, but I do indeed remember it well.

So many new bands, so many new songs, so many new classics. Jarvis Cocker, Damon Albarn, Thom Yorke - so many heroes. It was so exciting. I remember the exact day when I first heard Common People by Pulp, I was absolutely amazed. It wasn’t so much a song, as a funny speech that was in time to great guitars and such.

‘Maaaabyeeee’. When most of you hear that, you will instantly think of the genius that is Wonderwall by Oasis. Great video, slightly annoying voices - the recipe for success. It was fantastic.

Another band dominating the charts at this time was the phenomenal Blur. The band that did so much for music today. They started the ‘WoooHooo’ phase, in Song 2. They produced a genuinely wonderful video for Coffee and TV with the little milk cartons. They were one of the coolest geeky bands ever.

The Verve and Radiohead were also released brilliant records at this time. The Verve, with their ‘It’s so great to by alive’ stuff. And Radiohead with their ‘I’d rather be anything but alive’ stuff. They were legends.

So many great albums were created during this short period, Definitely Maybe, OK Computer, and What’s the Story (Morning Glory), to name but a few. These were actually proper albums, unlike the one track albums of bands nowadays. They were soulful, interesting and magical stories about day-to-day things, which is what most of BritPop was based on.

Now why have I typed this, you may be wondering. Well, in the last few months, a small resurrection of Brit Pop has occured. Kasabian, Kaiser Chiefs and Maximo Park have all participated in bringing back the music that they grew up listening to.

I don’t know if this is such a good idea, as times have moved on. I would love their to be classics like ten years ago made today. But maybe it’s a good thing. Bringing back great music can’t be bad, unless you make a mess of it.

Opinions are divided. All I know is that ‘Everyday I Love You Less And Less’ is definitely no ‘Song 2’.
Mon 13/06/05 at 13:35
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
SHEEPY wrote:
> Strange, it is only a decade but it seems FOREVER.
> My first album was Whats The Story when I was a nipper of 10/11... on
> cassete... spelt that wrong.

Same here

Memorandum! wrote:
> "Many years ago, when most of you will just have been
> plans"
>
> I think most people here are slightly older than 10.

I don't know as I don't come on often
Fri 10/06/05 at 20:53
One down...
Fri 10/06/05 at 20:51
Regular
New Order deserve to be shot.
Fri 10/06/05 at 16:57
Regular
"Excommunicated"

I still think the 80s were rubbish.
Plus, The Smiths and Joy Division have a handful of decent tunes each. Moody gits.
Fri 10/06/05 at 16:56
Regular
I've always seen it that music peaked in the late 80's.
I personally see Britpop as a "pop" version of the scene with the Roses, Mondays, Charlatans and Primal Scream.

Britpop gave us some good stuff, but I saw as watered down Madchester personally. But hey, everyone has their golden era. :-)
Fri 10/06/05 at 16:51
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
The Smiths, Joy Division, My Bloody Valentine, The Cure, Madchester.
Fri 10/06/05 at 16:47
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Better than anything in the 80s.
Fri 10/06/05 at 16:43
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Britpop.
It happens every decade, it's just the kids who buy singles and read Smash Hits don't remember the last one.
Fri 10/06/05 at 16:17
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Strange, it is only a decade but it seems FOREVER.
My first album was Whats The Story when I was a nipper of 10/11... on cassete... spelt that wrong.
Fri 10/06/05 at 16:14
"period drama"
Ahaha. Yeah, the mid-90s, back in the far reaches of history.

Anywho ... yeah, there's been some good stuff around lately.
I'm happy, though I couldn't care less if it's a Brit-Pop resurrection or not.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.