GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sin City"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/06/05 at 23:25
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Finally got around to watching it after a few days of meaning to.
Thoroughly enjoyed it, if a little concerned over the level and amount of violence. But hey, I'm a big boy and I'll have forgotten that by tomorrow.

Good points?
Rodriguez making it look like a comic. Mickey Rourke, who knew he was actually a decent actor eh? Benecio Del Toro, best corpse ever. Kung-Fu Hannibal Frodo. Yellow B&stard. Mickey Rourke again.

Bad points?
Clive Owen, bad accent & wooden delivery, kept taking me out the film. The portrayal of the women, all hookers or strippers, somewhat juvenile and felt slightly mysoginistic. The constant visceral violence. Bruce Willis, I've seen Twelve Monkeys and all his others have just been his smirking bald head smirking.

Overall?
Thought it was excellent, certainly not the usual summer fayre and deserves to make £££££ for at least daring to be different.
My only slight wince, as I said, came from the female characters all being stupid victims or prostitutes. It gave me the nasty whiff of why I can't read comics/graphic novels very much - a latent fear of women and the resultant portrayal of them being either manipulative snakes or shrieking damsels.
Now I'm sure that hardened comic readers will correct me there, but you need to understand I'm not saying all comics are like that.
I just get the impression an awful lot of writers/fans hold some deep seated fear and mistrust towars women, and this manifests itself in some awkwardly one-dimensional women characters that are huge-breasted/naked and either needing to be saved or acting like Comic-Store Guy's fantasy, leather clad dominatrix.

I'll buy this when it's out on DVD and look forward to the extras.
Definitely enjoyed it, just not too sure about the women stuff.
Wed 15/06/05 at 21:01
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Ice_Crystal_15 wrote:
> Everything was perfect, But the black and white graphics made the
> movie more boring for me too watch

I hope so much you watched the movie on a pirated copy. It would be extremely disheartening if someone as useless and stupid as you were 18, or at least old enough to be believed to be 18.
Wed 15/06/05 at 20:58
"I love yo... lamp."
I like this a lot, although Bruce Willis removing whasisface's "weapon" nearly made me throw up. I already wasn't feeling well before mind.
Wed 15/06/05 at 20:02
Regular
Then you have the brain capacity of a sperm.
Wed 15/06/05 at 16:04
Regular
"Da num.01 rapper"
Everything was perfect, But the black and white graphics made the movie more boring for me too watch i liked everything expect the colors.
Wed 15/06/05 at 10:51
Regular
"The definitive tag"
ssxpro wrote:
> Chr1s wrote:
> Anyone else notice the little "Die Hard" reference from
> Bruce Willis?
>
> Was that the bit where Bruce Willis, erm (trying not to include
> spoilers), gets the better of some opponents and produces a similar
> line to Die Hard regarding good advice?

Indeed it was.
Wed 15/06/05 at 08:04
Regular
Chr1s wrote:
> Anyone else notice the little "Die Hard" reference from
> Bruce Willis?

Was that the bit where Bruce Willis, erm (trying not to include spoilers), gets the better of some opponents and produces a similar line to Die Hard regarding good advice?

OddToe wrote:
>On a side note, I don't know if anyone else has seen this
>but there was an advert for Sin City and some critic was
>quoted:
>"Pulp Fiction of the 21st Century"
>I want to find him and kick him in the face.

Yeh, everybody knows its still the 20th century. As I'm frequently reminded when watching foxy movies.
Mon 06/06/05 at 16:58
Regular
Yeah, wonderful film.

Read a review in The Sunday Times Culture supplement (oh yes, that's the name that's always quoted) which pretty much hit the nail on the head for me - "you don't come out of the cinema and like it for any technical reason that springs to mind, you love it because it's so refreshing to know that you've just seen something you've never seen before".

Better/worse than Pulp Fiction? Debatable, and it can probably only be settled in ten years' time when it's had enough time to gather classic status.
Mon 06/06/05 at 15:48
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Anyone else notice the little "Die Hard" reference from Bruce Willis?

*looks around very hopefully*
Mon 06/06/05 at 14:20
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Kudos also goes out to Elijah Wood for his least Frodo-like performance > ever

*cough*

Free Willy
Mon 06/06/05 at 13:59
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Quite frankly I thought it was superb. The level of violence certainly made me flinch a little bit, but it didn't really bother me, as it was so obviously a cartoon-style of super-violence and didn't really seem real at any time. Del Toro is threatening even as a corpse, Mickey Rourke is now Marv whatever he does and Jessica Alba makes me want to do unspeakable things to her. Kudos also goes out to Elijah Wood for his least Frodo-like performance ever, he's genuinely quite frightening without doing much at all.

I've reposted Pandy's Sin City review ([URL]http://www.theshiznit.co.uk[/URL]), which now I've seen it too, I'd have to agree with it wholeheartedly. You can also post your comments there too, this place is deeead anyway, man.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.