GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"R..rrr...Rangers just won the league"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 22/05/05 at 15:54
Regular
"Excommunicated"
How?
What?

I hate those teddy bears.
Another title sneeked in at the end.
Mon 23/05/05 at 00:25
Regular
There was quite a bit of premiership drama on the last day of the season and the whole last month or so in the relegation battle. All of the teams that went down were out of the bottom 3 at different times on the last day of the season.

And then there was the battle for the final uefa cup place between man city and boro on the last day, ending with david james playing as a forward for the last 10 minutes and Fowler missing a penalty in injury time which cost them a uefa cup place.
Sun 22/05/05 at 23:41
Regular
But of course, you couldn't have 5 teams in Scotland going to the Champions League - until a few years ago that would be half the league.

The reason both sides of the Old Firm do so well is because of their huge support pumping cash into the teams - compared to other Scottish teams.

Hell, Southhampton will get more money as their "parachute" bonus for being relegated that Rangers will for winning the Championship.

Rangers spent less than 2 million last summer on their players, one of them a 1.5 million flop who played about 6 games.

Celtic spent nothing.

They're the two richest clubs in Scotland, yet that's all they can afford over the summer transfer window?

That doesn't show much for how rich Scottish football is, so it's no wonder that the only clubs that do well are the ones makign money from getting into Europe.

Still, when i said Scottish football was more exciting than the Premiership, I wasn't just talking about who won it.

It was only decided today that Hibs would get the Uefa cup spot over Aberdeen (it was still open until then), and it was only decided yesterday that Dundee would be relegated out of the four teams fighting the relegation battle.

And, before the season split (the gayest thing ever), on the last game before it, Motherwell and Inverness Caley Thistle were fighting for 6th place, with both having the exact same number of points, goals for and goals against as it stood until about 15 minutes before full time where Motherwell scored (thankfully, seeing as they beat Celtic today).

Compare that to English football, you still knew that Chelsea would win the league before the season started, and if they didn't, it would be Arsenal most likely, or Man United.

There was no way that it would be anyone else. That's still 3/20 clubs, which is a (slightly) lower percentage of teams than in Scotland (2/12).

Premiership football fails to excite me.

I think it's better in a way because there's more teams, and thus each team plays each other only twice rather than 3 (or 4 depending which half of the table you end up in) times ala Scotland, meaning Rangers had to play Dundee United 3 times this season (drawing twice and losing once !!!) in the league. but whatever.
Sun 22/05/05 at 22:36
Regular
munn wrote:

> And of course, Chelsea only won becuase they spent about 18 billion
> on new players.
>
> 8 times Man United won over 11 seasons.

even so, 4 different winners in the last 10 years...Which is twice the amount in the SPL.

And you also have to look at the teams who have finished 2nd over the years. Newcastle and Villa have taken those spots while its just been rangers/celtic in the spl.

Not to mention the 5th placed team in the prem getting to the champs league final...

Dont get my wrong, Spain and Italy have alot more competitive leagues than England in this sense with a larger variety of winners, but the prem is ahead of the spl.
Sun 22/05/05 at 21:27
Regular
down wrote:
> 90:00 (0:02)
> Handball by Alan Thompson (Celtic). Free kick taken right-footed by
> Robert Douglas (Celtic) from own half, resulting in open play.

Eh?
I don't understand.

How did Douglas take the free kick if Thompson handled it?
Sun 22/05/05 at 21:23
Regular
Wood AFC wrote:
> Well acctully there is and has been for the last 20 years only been
> Celtic or Rangers challenging for the title. But the next few seasons
> will be the birth of new challenges Aberdeen and Hibs. I Imagine that
> by 2008 the SPL will be a four team chase.

I think over the next five years 'Well and Caley will be in on it too. Celtic though, I think may begin to fall. Their directors are greedy scum - the last player Celtic paid a transfer fee for was Stephen Pearson, and with the possibilty of players like Lennon and Balde leaving over the summer, as well as Martin O'Neill, and the fact that there's no chacne Bellamy will sign and many of the current Celtic players are getting on a bit, there's a good chance that tehy'll begin to fall.

And by 2008, Gretna will be up there too.

I still think that Rangers will win the title for the next few years though.
Despite what many people say, McLeish's recent signings have been awesome.

Prso, Novo, Buffel, Andrews, Kyriagkos (or however it's spelt), Wattereus (an awesome signing considering how close to the transfer deadline Klos got injured), Boumsong (and selling him), and bringing back Ferguson over the season have made up almost all of the team for the season.

Considering all of those players were bought for 400k (Because it was selling Boumsong who was bought for free that paid for players in January), I think we had awesome luck in teh transfer market.

If we get Nonda and Dellas over the summer I think we'll be sorted.
Sun 22/05/05 at 21:17
90:00 (0:02)
Handball by Alan Thompson (Celtic). Free kick taken right-footed by Robert Douglas (Celtic) from own half, resulting in open play.

At least this time, they can't complain it was a fix!
Sun 22/05/05 at 21:14
Regular
or†ega wrote:
> Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Scotland is far more exciting these days than England.
>
> yeah, becasue its not the same two teams challenging for the title as
> usual :|

Yeah, because it wasn't much like that for the past 10 years in England.

1993 Manchester United
1994 Manchester United
1995 Blackburn Rovers
1996 Manchester United
1997 Manchester United
1998 Arsenal
1999 Manchester United
2000 Manchester United
2001 Manchester United
2002 Arsenal
2003 Manchester United
2004 Arsenal
2005 Chelsea

And of course, Chelsea only won becuase they spent about 18 billion on new players.

8 times Man United won over 11 seasons.
Sun 22/05/05 at 20:12
Regular
"Green & White Army"
down wrote:
> Is it just you, me and munn that support Rangers here?
>
> And what's that, title number 51 is it?

I support Rangers as well. They are my other team.
Sun 22/05/05 at 20:07
Wood AFC wrote:
> or†ega wrote:
> Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Scotland is far more exciting these days than England.
>
> yeah, becasue its not the same two teams challenging for the title
> as
> usual :|
>
> Well acctully there is and has been for the last 20 years only been
> Celtic or Rangers challenging for the title. But the next few seasons
> will be the birth of new challenges Aberdeen and Hibs. I Imagine that
> by 2008 the SPL will be a four team chase.

Gretna.
Sun 22/05/05 at 20:07
Regular
oh, wasnt all that then. Guess it was becasue they still could have won it with a celtic draw.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.