GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rogue Squardron 2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/05/01 at 02:01
Regular
I saw some footage of this game on my friends E3 tape and it looks amazing ! :-)

One thing that had my attention straight away was the space battles. I loved playing the first game on the N64. It was good that even after completing levels, you could still try and earn better medals, trying to get Gold on all of them, along with earning things like extra levels and being able to control a TIE Intercepter and the Falcon of course ;-)

Of course the one thing lacking in it were the lack of space battles. All of the levels took place on planets. The nearest you got to a space battle was the trench run (one of the extra levels) but of course with no freedom to move around and have dogfights, this doesn't really count as a space battle.

Of course this new game has these levels now and as far as I've looked into it, the idea of gaining medals is going to still be in this game which is great and adds plenty of longevity to the game. Hopefully there will still be access to plenty of ships, hopefully with all the power of the Gamecube we may even be treated to ALL the ships we've seen in the films :-)

A scene i watched on the footage was a rebel fightr attacking a Star Destroyer - god what a wonderful sight ! In my opinion, Rogue Squadron offered the best experience in a Star Wars game because it was so good to play. The simulation type games such as X-Wing vs TIE Fighter were good, but I enjoyed controlling the ships in Rogue Squardron a lot more and I can't wait to play the sequel !

I'm already excited about it from the small things i've seen and i'll be watching for more news on this game very closely ! This could be the perfect Star Wars title everyones been waiting for :-)

If theres anything I could think of to add to the Rogue Squardron games, it would be to give players the chance to fight as the Empire too, using the different TIE Fighters and attacking Rebel cruisers ;-) Maybe with the chance of gaining Boba Fetts ship (Slave 1) as an extra ship ;-)

I suppose asking for a chance to control a Star Destroyer would be a bit much ;-)) Lets face it though, who wouldn't feel confident going into battle controlling one of those ! ;-)
Wed 30/05/01 at 02:01
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I saw some footage of this game on my friends E3 tape and it looks amazing ! :-)

One thing that had my attention straight away was the space battles. I loved playing the first game on the N64. It was good that even after completing levels, you could still try and earn better medals, trying to get Gold on all of them, along with earning things like extra levels and being able to control a TIE Intercepter and the Falcon of course ;-)

Of course the one thing lacking in it were the lack of space battles. All of the levels took place on planets. The nearest you got to a space battle was the trench run (one of the extra levels) but of course with no freedom to move around and have dogfights, this doesn't really count as a space battle.

Of course this new game has these levels now and as far as I've looked into it, the idea of gaining medals is going to still be in this game which is great and adds plenty of longevity to the game. Hopefully there will still be access to plenty of ships, hopefully with all the power of the Gamecube we may even be treated to ALL the ships we've seen in the films :-)

A scene i watched on the footage was a rebel fightr attacking a Star Destroyer - god what a wonderful sight ! In my opinion, Rogue Squadron offered the best experience in a Star Wars game because it was so good to play. The simulation type games such as X-Wing vs TIE Fighter were good, but I enjoyed controlling the ships in Rogue Squardron a lot more and I can't wait to play the sequel !

I'm already excited about it from the small things i've seen and i'll be watching for more news on this game very closely ! This could be the perfect Star Wars title everyones been waiting for :-)

If theres anything I could think of to add to the Rogue Squardron games, it would be to give players the chance to fight as the Empire too, using the different TIE Fighters and attacking Rebel cruisers ;-) Maybe with the chance of gaining Boba Fetts ship (Slave 1) as an extra ship ;-)

I suppose asking for a chance to control a Star Destroyer would be a bit much ;-)) Lets face it though, who wouldn't feel confident going into battle controlling one of those ! ;-)
Wed 30/05/01 at 11:37
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
savatt1668 wrote:
> who wouldn't feel confident going into battle controlling one of those !
> ;-)

True but i would rather control the death star and blow up whole planets, not just ships. And you could have the dark side at your control as you try and find the rebel alliance using a variety of scanning devices and using devious sources such as bounty hunters and galactic informants. Then using the information you have gained you must try and locate the exact position of the alliance and eliminate them, however to give the game more longevity there would be huge laser battles as the rebel alliance try to escape (which the would have to do if you were to try and track them down again in the next level), and cut scenes showing the battle in all of its glory, that would make a truly spectacular game and would probably be regarded as the best star wars game of all time....But these are my ideas anyway.
Wed 30/05/01 at 11:50
DeathStar, DeathStar, DeathStar...ah to be in control of the DarkSide...where is the game were we get to be truely evil. It could be called StarWars:The DarkSide, its set in a StarWars universe and you control Darth Vader and co as you destroy anything that is good!
Thu 31/05/01 at 01:46
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Thats what I liked about X-Wing vs TIE Fighter. You got to be the bad guys ;-) Only thing that got to me with it was the fact it was a simulation type game and it got annoying when your a shieldless TIE Fighter against Rebel ships that were throwing heat-seeking missles at you. I would love to have a game with the same idea as this game, but using the control and style of play of Rogue Squardron. I mean, it was nice being able to use the TIE Intercepter in the first game, but at the end of the day I was still sickly good and protecting all things wonderful and fairy like ! Oi ! Lucas Arts ! Noooooooooooooo !!!

I Want to be bad and kill things !!!

That aside, I think the DeathStar idea is ok but a bit, well, limited. I think a StarDestroyer would be better to play as giving the player more control. As well as the usual steering of the ship, you could control the ships defences, firing at Rebel fighters that come within range as well as a button to deploy TIE Fighters that are on board your ship :-)

Maybe you could access the different types of TIE ships to deploy, so on one mission you could be required to send a bunch of TIE Bombers down to a planet surface to attack a Rebel base, while on another mission could be a big space battle, so you need to position yourself well so that Rebel ships don't swarm you and take you out. So you could say stick close to 1 or 2 other ships and deploy your TIE Fighters and TIE Intercepters into the battle while backing them up with your ships guns.

Maybe probe droids could come into it too. There are quite a few possibilities when it comes to being a StarDestroyer which is pretty surprising when you think of how big it is and the fact its not gonna be chasing X-Wings ;-))

Another nice idea for being both good or bad guys would be to be asigned to a particular ship. So, you could be the pilot of a TIE Fighter and the ship your deployed from could be the StarDestroyer : Avenger. Would be nice when all the ships end up in a large battle and you have to keep an eye on how your main ship is coping in the battle :-)

Plus going back to the StarDestroyer idea, it'd be nice to get the chance to chase and attack the Falcon ;-)
Thu 31/05/01 at 11:12
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Looks really good!

Year away though :(
Fri 01/06/01 at 00:35
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Don't worry, I'm sure the wait till be worth it ;-)
Fri 01/06/01 at 00:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
savatt1668 wrote:
> Don't worry, I'm sure the wait till be worth it ;-)

But then again, some of us PS2 owners have that kind of quality 30 seconds away :)
Fri 01/06/01 at 09:12
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
starfighter looks like a sinclair spectrum game compared to Rogue Squadron 2. Ok maybe you can play it now later whenever you want without having to wait almost a year, but would you rather have a good game now or wait for "the" starwars game to own to be released. All of your starwars related dreams imaginable will be fullfilled long live the rebbelion down with the empire. Use the force Batistuta...
Fri 01/06/01 at 14:11
Regular
"gsybe you!"
i would love to be able to fly right down that tunnel in the Death Star from Return Of The Jedi and plant a laser blast squarely in the reactor thingy.

Or just be in a ship in that huge space battle that goes on outside - Either side, I don't care.
Fri 01/06/01 at 19:39
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
turbonutter wrote:
> savatt1668 wrote:
> Don't worry, I'm sure the wait till be worth
> it ;-)

But then again, some of us PS2 owners have that kind of
> quality 30 seconds away :)

To be honest, i prefer the Rogue Squardron type of game to Starfighter on the PS2. Plus I think the battles from the episodes 4, 5 and 6 films are better than episode 1. Better ships ;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.