GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Comic Series] The Walking Dead"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/12/06 at 18:30
Regular
"Braaains"
Given how many supernaturally-themed TV shows have come and gone, it seems odd that there's never been a series based around the rise of the living dead. We've had shows devoted to vampires, werewolves and even aliens, but there haven't been any zombie-based ones at all. Which seems odd, given the wealth of material around - granted, there was talk of a Night of the Living Dead series at some point, but that never really got off the ground. I just hope that Robert Kirkman's zombie opus, The Walking Dead - currently on its 32nd issue - lands on some TV executives desk because it just screams 'TV serial'. Granted, you'd have to find a TV network that was comfortable with showing guts and gore, but I still have hope that The Walking Dead will make it to the small screen.

But even if that day never comes, the comic book form of The Walking Dead is still a joy to behold. There are thirty two books in the series and creator Robert Kirkman apparently has no plans to stop writing it. The Walking Dead is the ongoing tale of a group of people who survive the rise of the living dead and their attempts to deal with not only the threat of the walking corpses that infest the world but also the threat of starvation, conflicts within the group and more. Although ex-policeman Rick Grimes was, until recently, the leader of the group, all the survivors get a look in. And they're quite a mixed bunch, as you might expect - a couple of them could be considered badasses, but most are easily recognizable as ordinary people just trying to stay alive.

But they don't always succeed, mind you, and that, for me, is the best thing about the whole series. No matter how attached you might have got attached to a character - and despite all their flaws, most are fairly likeable - none of them are safe bets. So far about twelve survivors have been killed off, many of whom I felt sure were going to see it through to the end of the series. I'm not convinced that Rick himself isn't going to end end up as zombie fodder along the way. Another appealing aspect of The Walking Dead is the way the the characters who haven't ended up in a corpse's stomach have developed as the series has progressed. Rick, for example, has changed quite a bit in his attitudes towards the new world the characters find themselves in.

Something that has also changed is the series' artwork. The Walking Dead has in fact been drawn by two artists, Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard. Both artists do a superb job in depicting the world of the Walking Dead. Which is, by the way, drawn entirely in black and white with not a hint of colour, which is actually pretty effective. Not that it's the artwork you'll be paying most attention to, it's the story itself, which is superbly crafted. What may put some people off is the fact that there can be whole issues where you barely see a zombie. In fact, it's not unlike George Romero's Dawn of the Dead in that there's as much time spent on character development as zombie killing. But if the whole series was entirely action based, it's doubtful it'd have lasted as long as it has. The Walking Dead is a superb series that will grip you from the moment you pick it up and deserves to continue for many years to come. A must buy for any zombie fan.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 05/12/06 at 18:30
Regular
"Braaains"
Given how many supernaturally-themed TV shows have come and gone, it seems odd that there's never been a series based around the rise of the living dead. We've had shows devoted to vampires, werewolves and even aliens, but there haven't been any zombie-based ones at all. Which seems odd, given the wealth of material around - granted, there was talk of a Night of the Living Dead series at some point, but that never really got off the ground. I just hope that Robert Kirkman's zombie opus, The Walking Dead - currently on its 32nd issue - lands on some TV executives desk because it just screams 'TV serial'. Granted, you'd have to find a TV network that was comfortable with showing guts and gore, but I still have hope that The Walking Dead will make it to the small screen.

But even if that day never comes, the comic book form of The Walking Dead is still a joy to behold. There are thirty two books in the series and creator Robert Kirkman apparently has no plans to stop writing it. The Walking Dead is the ongoing tale of a group of people who survive the rise of the living dead and their attempts to deal with not only the threat of the walking corpses that infest the world but also the threat of starvation, conflicts within the group and more. Although ex-policeman Rick Grimes was, until recently, the leader of the group, all the survivors get a look in. And they're quite a mixed bunch, as you might expect - a couple of them could be considered badasses, but most are easily recognizable as ordinary people just trying to stay alive.

But they don't always succeed, mind you, and that, for me, is the best thing about the whole series. No matter how attached you might have got attached to a character - and despite all their flaws, most are fairly likeable - none of them are safe bets. So far about twelve survivors have been killed off, many of whom I felt sure were going to see it through to the end of the series. I'm not convinced that Rick himself isn't going to end end up as zombie fodder along the way. Another appealing aspect of The Walking Dead is the way the the characters who haven't ended up in a corpse's stomach have developed as the series has progressed. Rick, for example, has changed quite a bit in his attitudes towards the new world the characters find themselves in.

Something that has also changed is the series' artwork. The Walking Dead has in fact been drawn by two artists, Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard. Both artists do a superb job in depicting the world of the Walking Dead. Which is, by the way, drawn entirely in black and white with not a hint of colour, which is actually pretty effective. Not that it's the artwork you'll be paying most attention to, it's the story itself, which is superbly crafted. What may put some people off is the fact that there can be whole issues where you barely see a zombie. In fact, it's not unlike George Romero's Dawn of the Dead in that there's as much time spent on character development as zombie killing. But if the whole series was entirely action based, it's doubtful it'd have lasted as long as it has. The Walking Dead is a superb series that will grip you from the moment you pick it up and deserves to continue for many years to come. A must buy for any zombie fan.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.