GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XP Home vs. Pro"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/05/05 at 12:54
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Just having a quick browse over the XP OS, as I intend to update my younger brothers PC from Win 98, but have come across XP Pro student edition for £9 cheaper than the Home edition.

I guess I'm just curious as to the differences between the Home and Pro editions! I had intended to just get the home edition, but if the Pro version is considered a better purchase (more reliable, secure, etc) then I would probably go for that.

Does anybody here know of any major differences between the two? I have heard that older programs and games may not work on the Pro version, but have no idea if this is accurate.

Thanks to anyone who can give me an idea as to which I should go for.
Sun 15/05/05 at 17:06
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Thanks for the details.

If I can get the Pro version then I will do, though now that I think about it, I'm not entirely sure if part-time home uni (Open University) qualifies as being a student.
Tue 10/05/05 at 15:41
Regular
"Selected"
Tellah wrote:
> Home has no webserver software at all built in (not even PWS) as far
> as I can tell.

No it doesn't, unlike every other version of Windows which makes absolutly no sense.
Tue 10/05/05 at 14:10
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
To me, the main advantage of Pro over Home was the inclusion of IIS (Internet Information Server).

Home has no webserver software at all built in (not even PWS) as far as I can tell.

I only found this out after I bought Home, and was quite upset about this - but TBH, I'm glad I did, because I'd rather have Apache anyway.
Tue 10/05/05 at 13:48
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
The Home and Professional editions of Windows XP are nearly identical; the only differences are additional features found in the Professional edition that most likely won't appeal to home users. The primary differences, aside from the price and the color of the packaging, are as follows:

Windows XP Home Edition

* Contains basic support for security among multiple users.
* Built-in support for peer-to-peer networking, but only for up to five computers.
* The backup utlity is not installed by default, but is included on the CD.

Windows XP Professional Edition

* Includes extended support for security between multiple users on the same machine.
* Better support for peer-to-peer networking, plus support for joining a "Windows NT domain."
* The backup utlity is installed by default.
* The Professional edition includes the following components not found in the Home edition:
o Administrative Tools (in the Start Menu and Control Panel)
o Automated System Recovery (ASR)
o Boot Configuration Manager
o DriverQuery
o Group Policy Refresh Utility
o Multi-lingual User Interface (MUI) add-on
o NTFS Encryption Utilitiy
o Offline Files and Folders
o OpenFiles
o Performance Log Manager
o Remote Desktop
o Scheduled Tasks Console
o Security Template Utility
o Taskkill
o Tasklist
o Telnet Administrator
* Provides support for multi-processor systems (2 or 4 CPUs), Dynamic Disks, Fax.
Tue 10/05/05 at 12:54
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Just having a quick browse over the XP OS, as I intend to update my younger brothers PC from Win 98, but have come across XP Pro student edition for £9 cheaper than the Home edition.

I guess I'm just curious as to the differences between the Home and Pro editions! I had intended to just get the home edition, but if the Pro version is considered a better purchase (more reliable, secure, etc) then I would probably go for that.

Does anybody here know of any major differences between the two? I have heard that older programs and games may not work on the Pro version, but have no idea if this is accurate.

Thanks to anyone who can give me an idea as to which I should go for.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.